- Volume 2 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Simulation of Change in Physical Habitat of Fish Using the Mobile Bed Model in a Downstream River of Dam
댐 하류 하천에서 하상변동 모델을 이용한 어류 물리서식처 변화 모의
- Kim, Seung Ki (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Choi, Sung-Uk (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2015.12.02
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.30
This study investigated the impact of the morphological change on a physical fish habitat in the downstream reach of a dam using long-term mobile bed simulation. The quasi-steady model was used for hydraulic simulation and the habitat suitability index model was applied for physical habitat simulation. For simulating long-term morphological change of the stream bed, The Exner equation was used. Sorting of bed material was also considered. The results of simulation showed that erosion and armoring process occurred in a reach downstream of the dam and change of physical habitat for Zacco platypus followed. These results indicate that channel morphology and substrate conditions effected the physical habitat for considering long-term investigation.
Dam;Geomorphological change;Hydropeaking;Physical habitat simulation;Quasi-steady model
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Bovee, K.D. 1982. A guide to stream habitat analysis using the instream flow incremental methodology. Instream Flow Information Paper No. 12, Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. FWS/OBS-82/26, Fort Collins, CO, USA.
- Bowen, Z.H., Freeman, M.C., and Bovee, K.D. 1988. Evaluation of generalized habitat criteria for assessing impacts of altered flow regimes on warmwater fishes. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 127: 455-468.
- Brandt, S.A. 2000. Classification of geomorphological effects downstream of dams. Catena 40: 375-401. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0341-8162(00)00093-X
- Hirano, M. 1971. River bed degradation with armoring. Proceedings of Japan Society of Civil Engineers 195: 55-65.
- Ji, U., Kim, J.S. and Lee, C.J. 2013. Flow resistance analysis for lower Naesung Stream considering grain and bedform roughness. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 46: 1209-1220. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.12.1209
- Kang, Y.H., Kim, S.K., Hong, G.B., and Kim, H.S. 2011. Change of fish fauna and community structure in the Naeseong Stream around the planned Yeongju Dam. Korean Journal of Limnology 44: 226-238. (in Korean).
- KICT. 2013. Analysis of Change in River Morphology and Vegetation Due to Artificial Structures. Korea Institute of Construction Technology, Ilsan, Korea. (in Korean)
- Kim, I.S. 1997. A Pictorial Book of Animals and Plants, Vol. 37. Ministry of Education, Gwacheon, Korea. (in Korean)
- Kondolf, G.M. 1997. PROFILE: hungry water: effects of dams and gravel mining on river channels. Environmental Management 21: 533-551. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002679900048
- Milhous, R.T., Updike, M.A. and Schneider, D.M. 1989. Physical Habitat Simulation System Reference Manual-Version II. Information Paper No. 26., U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, FWS/OBS-89/16, Fort Collins, CO, USA.
- Sung, Y.D., Park, B.J., Joo, G.J. and Jung, K.S., 2005. The estimation of ecological flow recommendations for fish habitat. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 38: 545-554. (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2005.38.7.545
- Valentin, S., Lauters, F., Sabaton, C., Breil, P. and Souchon, Y. 1996. Modelling temporal variations of physical habitat for brown trout (Salmo trutta) in hydropeaking conditions. Regulated Rivers:Research & Management 12: 317-330. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1646(199603)12:2/3<317::AID-RRR398>3.0.CO;2-1
- Wu, W., Wang, S.S.Y. and Jia, Y. 2000. Nonuniform sediment transport in alluvial rivers. Journal of Hydraulic Research 38: 427-434. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221680009498296
- Yi, Y., Wang, Z. and Yang, Z. 2010a. Impact of the Gezhouba and Three Gorges Dams on habitat suitability of carps in the Yangtze River. Journal of Hydrology 387: 283-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2010.04.018
- Yi, Y., Wang, Z. and Yang, Z. 2010b. Two-dimensional habitat modeling of Chinese sturgeon spawning sites. Ecological Modelling 211: 864-875.
- Application of Habitat Suitability Models for Assessing Climate Change Effects on Fish Distribution vol.3, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17820/eri.2016.3.2.134
- Development of Hydraulic Analysis and Assessment Models for the Restoration of Ecological Connectivity in Floodplains Isolated by Levees vol.3, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17820/eri.2016.3.4.307