- Volume 24 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Establishment of Days after Anthesis(DAA) and Fruit After-ripening Period(FAP) for High-Quality Seed Production of Watermelon
우량 수박종자 생산을 위한 적정 성숙일수 및 후숙일수 확립
- Park, Eun-Ji (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Gyu-Bin (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Young-Gil (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Suh, Jeong-Min ;
- Kang, Jum-Soon (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University)
- 박은지 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 이규빈 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 박영길 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 서정민 (부산대학교 바이오환경에너지학과) ;
- 강점순 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과)
- Received : 2015.10.29
- Accepted : 2015.12.10
- Published : 2015.12.29
This study was conducted to investigate days after anthesis (DAA) and fruit after-ripening period (FAP) for seed-harvesting of high quality watermelon seeds. Fruit weight and number of seed per fruit increased according to DAA, while those did not significant about FAP. Ratio of cotyledon at whole seed was higher about 2 to 4% compared to seed coat irrespective of DAA and FAP. Germinability of watermelon was not a significant effect by DAA, however, it had differences by FAP. Percent of germination (PB) was below 50%, when 30 days maturated fruits after anthesis was omitted ripening, while PB was increased to 92% by ripening. In addition, seeds at DAA 40 and FAP 20 were higher general seedling vigors (hypocotyl length, diameter etc.) in BP test. Results indicated that considering seed productivity, it had maximized seed viability at DAA 40 and FAP 20.
Cotyledon;Germination;Seed coat;Seed harvesting;Viability
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Cho, J. D., Kim, J. S., Lee, S. H., Chung, B. N., 2007, Triplex Virion Capture (VC)/RT-PCR for Three Seed Transmissible Tobamoviruses of CGMMV, ZGMMV and KGMMV Occurring on Cucurbitaceae, Research in Plant Disease, 13, 82-87. https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2007.13.2.082
- Christian, E. J., 2012, Seed development and germination of Miscanthus sinensis, Ph. D. Diss., Iowa State University, Iowa, 59-82.
- Colla, G., Roupahel, Y., Cardarelli, M., Rea, E., 2006, Effect of salinity on yield, fruit quality, leaf gas exchange, and mineral composition of grafted watermelon plants, HortScience, 41, 622-627.
- Gaile, Z., 2008, Harvest time effect on yield and quality of maize (Zea mays L.) grown for silage, Latvian Journal of Agronomy, 10, 104-111.
- Galao, G. A., Jakobseo, K. S., Hughes, D. W., 1991, The controls of late dicot embryogenesis and early germination, Physiologia Plantarum, 81, 280-288. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1991.tb02142.x
- Gore, S. V., Patil, R. B., Wankhade, G. R., 1997, Effect of maturity period and harvesting time on seed quality in soybean (Glycine max L.) Merill cultivars, Seed Res., 25, 45-49.
- Ellis, R. H., Hong, T. D., Jackson, M. T., 1993, Seed production environment, time of harvest, and the potential longevity of seeds of three cultivars of rice (Orvza sativa L.), Annals of Botany, 11, 583-590.
- Ellis, R. H., Pieta Filho, C., 1992, The development of seed quality in spring and winter cultivars of barley and wheat, Seed Science Research, 2, 9-15.
- Ellis, R. H., Roberts, E. H., 1980, Improved equations for the prediction of seed longevity, Annals of Botany, 45, 13-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aob.a085797
- Harrington, J. F., 1972, Seed storage and longevity, Seed biology, 3, 145-245.
- Kkatun, A., Kabir, G., Bhuiyan, A. H., 2009, Effect of harvesting stages on the seed quality of Lentil (Lens culinaris L.) during storage, Bangladesh J. Agric. Res., 34, 565-576.
- Lee, S. J., 2000, Effects of seed harvesting period, afterripening days and priming treatment on germination in melon(Cucumis melo L.) seeds, Master Diss., Miryang University.
- Mahesha, C. R., Chaunaveeraswami, A. S., Kurdikeri, M. B., Shekhagrouda, M., Merwade, M. N., 2001, Harvested at different maturity dates, Seed. Res., 29, 98-102.
- Mehta, C. J., Kuhad, M. S., Sheoran I. S., Nandwal, A. S., 1993, Studies on seed development, Seed. Res., 21, 89-91.
- Mohamed, F., El-Hamed, K., Elwan, M., Hussien, M. A., 2012, Impact of grafting on watermelon growth, fruit yield and quality, Vegetable Crops Research Bulletin, 76, 99-118.
- Sanhewe, A. J., Ellis, R. H., 1996, Seed development and maturation in Phaseolus vulgaris. II. Post-harvest longevity in air-dry storage, J. of Exp. Botany, 47, 959-965. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/47.7.959
- Slam, A. M., Ibrahim, H. I. M., 2014, Effect of harvest time on yield and seed quality of teosinte, Am.-Euras. & J. Agric. Environ. Sci., 14, 1159-1164.
- Statistics Korea, 2015, http://kosis.kr.
- Welbaum, G. E., Bradford, K. J., 1989, Water relations of seed development and germination in muskmelon (Cucumis melo L.) II. Development of germinability, vigour, and desiccation tolerance, J. of Exp. Botany, 40, 1355-1362. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/40.12.1355
- Welbaum, G. E., Bradford, K. J., 1991, Water relations of seed development and germination in muskmelon (Cucumis melo L.) VI. Influence of priming on germination responses to temperature and water potential during seed development, J. of Exp. Botany, 42, 393-399. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/42.3.393
- Yetisir, H., Ozdemir, A. E., Aras, V., Candir, E., Aslan, O., 2013, Rootstocks effect on plant nutrition concentration in different organ of grafted watermelon, Agr. Sci., 4, 230-237.
- Yoo, K. C., Kim, J. H., Yeoung, Y. R., Lee, S. H., 1996, Effects of fruit maturity and afterripening period on the germination of gourd seeds, J. of the Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci., 37, 197-200.