- Volume 24 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Influence of Fruit Set Internode on Seed Germination and Seedling Vigor in Watermelon
수박의 착과절위가 종자 발아 및 유묘활력에 미치는 영향
- Park, Eun-Ji (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Gyu-Bin (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Young-Gil (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University) ;
- Suh, Jeong-Min (Department of Bio-Environmental Energy, Pusan National University) ;
- Kang, Jum-Soon (Department of Horticulture Bioscience, Pusan National University)
- 박은지 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 이규빈 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 박영길 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과) ;
- 서정민 (부산대학교 바이오환경에너지학과) ;
- 강점순 (부산대학교 원예생명과학과)
- Received : 2015.10.30
- Accepted : 2015.12.10
- Published : 2015.12.29
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of fruit set internode on the germination of watermelon seeds. Generally fruits setted in higher than 20 internode were high percent of germination, fruit setted in low internode(5-10) is low. The higher fruit-set internode, fruit weight was significantly increased, but 1,000 seed weight was decreased the more fruit set internode. However number of seed was about 300 seeds irrespective of fruit-set internode. Investigating viability of seed by BP test, general percent germination was recorded highest at 5 flower cluster above 20 internode of fruit-set internode. In contrast, condition of fruit setted on 3, 4, 6 flower cluster were high percent of germination, regarded as unnormal germination not to be as normal seedling by 2~3%. Seed harvested at 5 flower-cluster had high viability on hypocotyl height and diameter of seedling through early growth test, but were not significant. Therefore 5 flower-cluster was optimum fruit-set internode to obtain high-quality seed.
Cotyledon;Germination;BP test;Seed harvesting;Viability
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Coolbear, P., Francis, A., Grierson, D., 1984, The effect of low temperature pre-sowing treatment on the germination performance and membrane integrity of artificially aged tomato seeds, J. Exp. Bot., 35, 1609-1617. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/35.11.1609
- Groot, S. P., Karssen, C. M., 1987, Gibberellin regulate seed germination in tomato by endosperm weakening: a study with gibberellin deficient mutants, Planta, 171, 853-859.
- Hwang, Y. H., Cho, K. H., Song, G. W., Shin, W. K., Jeong, B. R., 1998, Effect of pinching and fruit setting, and planting density on fruit quality and yield of muskmelon cultured by deep flow technique, J. Bio. Fac. Env., 7, 219-225.
- Jaskani, M. J., Khan, I. A., Khan, M. M., 2005, Fruit set, seed development and embryo germination in interploid crosses of citrus, J. Soc. Hort. Sci., 107, 51-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2005.06.011
- Kang, J. S., Cho. J. L., 1996, Effect of priming on the germinability of watermelon(Citrullus vulgaris schrad) seeds and seedling growth, J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci., 37, 12-18.
- Karssen, C. M., 1995, Hormonal regulation of seed development, dormancy, and seed germination by genetic control, Seed development and germination, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 333-350.
- Lee, S. G., Kim, Y. C., Kim, K. Y., Ghung, J. H., Yu, S. O., Bae, J. H., Lee, Y. B., 1996, Effect of soil moisture control and fruiting number and node order on the quality and yield of small watermelon(Citrullus vulgaris S.) under rain-shelter high density staking cultivation, J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci., 14, 160-161.
- Lee, S. G., Lee, W. S., 1996, Effects of fruit-set position and number of fruits set per plant on netting, fruit quality and fruit weight in netted melon(Cucumis melo L. var. reticulatus), Agric. Res. Bull., Kyungpook Nat. Univ., 14, 61-65.
- Lee, S. J., 2000, Effects of seed harvesting period, after-ripening days and priming treatment on germination in melon(Cucumis melo L.) seeds, Master Diss., Milyang University.
- Park, D. K., Um, Y. C., Lee, J. H., Kim, H. T., 1995, Effect of fruiting position on harvest time, yield and quality of Oriental melon in protected cultivation, J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci., 13, 60-61.
- RDA national institute of horticultural & herbal science, 2014, http://www.nihhs.go.kr.