- Volume 24 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Influence Factors for Determination of Proper Backwashing Time of Biological Activated Carbon (BAC) Process in Drinking Water Treatment Process
정수처리용 활성탄 공정의 적정 역세척 시점 선정을 위한 영향인자들 평가
- Kim, Sang-Goo (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Park, Hong-Gi (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Son, Hee-Jong (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Yoom, Hoon-Sik (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Ryu, Dong-Choon (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority)
- 김상구 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 박홍기 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 손희종 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 염훈식 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 류동춘 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소)
- Received : 2015.07.10
- Accepted : 2015.11.26
- Published : 2015.12.29
In Korea, many drinking water treatment plants (DWTPs) have introduced and are going to introduce biological activated carbon (BAC) process to treated dissolved organic matter (DOM) in water which are difficult to control by conventional water treatment processes. Even though more decade have passed since introduced BAC in Korea, most of BAC operating method was followed to the modified sand filter operating manuals. In case of BAC backwashing, many DWTPs set the periods of backwashing about 3~5 days. In this study, we have collected data to set the proper BAC backwashing periods from both pilot-plant and real DWTPs. We had measured heterotrophic plate count (HPC), turbidity, water temperature, dissolved organic carbon (DOC) and headloss from just after backwashing to the next backwashing time for two years. Considering water quality factors, the BAC run time from backwashing to the next backwashing could extend more 30 days without water quality deterioration if the head loss do not reach the limited level which depends on each BAC facilities' condition. It means the BAC treated water could be saved in the proportion of extended the backwashing period to the existing backwashing period.
Backwashing;BAC filter;Periodically backwashing;Head loss;Drinking water treatment plant
- Ahmad, R., Amirtharajah, A., Al-Shawwa, A., Huck, P. M., 1998, Effects of backwashing on biological filters, J. Am. Water Works Assoc., 90(12), 62-73.
- Amirtharajah, A., 1993, Optimum backwashing of filters with air scour: a review, Water Sci. & Technol., 27(10), 195-211.
Bell, R. T., Ahlgren, G. M., Ahlgren, I., 1983, Estimating bacterioplankton production by the [
$^3H$]thymidine incorporation in a eutrophic Swedish Lake, Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 45, 1709-1721.
- Carlson, K. H., Amy, G. L., 2001, Ozone and biofilt-ration optimization for multiple objects, J. Am. Water Works Assoc., 93(1), 88-98.
- Emelko, M. B., Huck, P. M., Coffey, B. M., Smith, E. F., 2006, Effects of media, backwash, and temperature on full-scale biological filtration, J. Am. Water Works Assoc., 98(12), 61-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1551-8833.2006.tb07824.x
- Fuhrman, J. A., Azam, F., 1982, Thymidine incorporation as a measure of heterotrophic bacterioplankton production in marine surface waters: evaluation and field results, Mar. Biol., 66, 109-120. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00397184
- Goldgrabe, J. C., Summers, R. S., Miltner, R. J., 1993, Particle removal and head loss development in biological filters, J. Am. Water Works Assoc., 85(12), 94-106. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1551-8833.1993.tb06122.x
- Liu, X., Huck, P. M., Slawson, R. M., 2001, Factors affecting drinking water biofiltration, J. Am. Water Works Assoc., 93(12), 90-101.
- Parsons, T. R., Maita, Y., Lalli, C. M., 1984, A Manual of Chemical and Biological Methods for Seawater Analysis, Pergamon, New York.
- Seo, I. S., Son, H. J., Choi, Y. I., Ahn, W. S., Park, C. K., 2007, Removal characteristics of nitrogenous organic chlorination disinfection by-products by activated carbons and biofiltration, J. Kor. Soc. Envir. Eng., 29(2), 184-191.
- Son, H. J., Park, H. G., Lee, S. A., Jung, E, Y., Jung, C. W., 2005, The characteristics of microbial community for biological activated carbon in water treatment plant, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 27, 1311-1320.
- Son, H. J., Yoo, S. J., Roh, J. S., Yoo, P. J., 2009, Biological activated carbon (BAC) process in water treatment, J. Kor. Soc. Envir. Eng., 31(4), 308-323.
- Son, H. J., Yoo, S. J., Yoo, P. J., Jung, C. W., 2008, Effects of EBCT and water temperature on HAA removal using BAC process, J. Kor. Soc. Envir. Eng., 30(12), 1255-1261.
- Sontheimer, H., Hubele, C., 1987, The use of ozone and granular activated carbon in drinking water treatment, Proceeding of the Second National Conference on Drinking Water, Edmonton, Canada, 7-8.