- Volume 15 Issue 23
DOI QR Code
Influence of Offspring on Quality of Life among Cancer Patients and Survivors: Results from the Korean Longitudinal Study of Aging (KLoSA), 2008-2011
- Kim, Jae-Hyun (Department of Public Health, Graduate School, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Park, Eun-Cheol (Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University College of Medicine)
- Published : 2015.01.06
Background: To examine whether offspring improve or reduce quality of life (QOL) among cancer patients and survivors. Materials and Methods: We used data from the Korean Longitudinal Study of Aging (KLoSA) from 2008 to 2011. There were 490 research subjects in our study: 245 cancer patients and survivors and 245 controls matched using propensity scores. Results: For cancer patients and survivors with no offspring, the QOL estimate was -2.831 lower (SE: 5.508, p-value: 0.623) than that of those with two offspring, while for those with five or more offspring, the QOL estimate was 7.336 higher (SE: 2.840, p-value: 0.036). For non-cancer patients and survivors with one child, the QOL estimate was -11.258 lower (SE: 2.430, p-value: 0.002) than that of those with two offspring, while for those with five or more offspring, the QOL estimate was -4.881 lower (SE: 2.484, p-value: 0.090). Conclusions: This article provides evidence for a beneficial effect of offspring upon QOL in cancer patients and survivors, indicating that offspring are important for them.
Offspring;loneliness;depressive disorder;Korean cancer patients
Supported by : Ministry of Health and Welfare
- Pinquart M, Sorensen S (2000). Influences of socioeconomic status, social network, and competence on subjective wellbeing in later life: a meta-analysis. Psychol Aging, 15, 187-224. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79188.8.131.52
- Rosenbaum PR, Rubin DB (1983). The central role of the propensity score in observational studies for causal effects. Biometrika, 70, 41-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/70.1.41
- Salander P (1996). Brain tumor as a threat to life and personality: the spouse's perspective. J Psychosoc Oncol, 14, 1-18.
- Sherwood P GB, Given C, Schiffman R, Murman D, Lovely M (2004). Caregivers of persons with a brain tumor: a conceptual model. Nurs Inq, 11, 43-53. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1800.2004.00200.x
- Wideheim AK ET, Pahlson A, Ahlstrom G (2002). A family's perspective on living with a highly malignant brain tumor. Cancer Nurs, 25, 236-44. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200206000-00012
- Zhang J, Dhakal IB, Zhao Z, Li L (2012). Trends in mortality from cancers of the breast, colon, prostate, esophagus, and stomach in East Asia: role of nutrition transition. Eur J Cancer Prev, 21, 480-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e328351c732
- Parker PA, Baile WF, de Moor C, Cohen L (2003). Psychosocial and demographic predictors of quality of life in a large sample of cancer patients. Psychooncology, 12, 183-93. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.635
- Carver CS, Smith RG, Petronis VM, Antoni MH (2006). Quality of life among long-term survivors of breast cancer: Different types of antecedents predict different classes of outcomes. Psycho-Oncol, 15, 749-58. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1006
- Cummins RA (2005). Moving from the quality of life concept to a theory. J Intellect Disabil Res, 49, 699-706. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2788.2005.00738.x
- Dorval M, Maunsell E, Deschenes L, et al (1998). Long-term quality of life after breast cancer: comparison of 8-year survivors with population controls. J Clin Oncol, 16, 487-94.
- Evenson RJ, Simon RW (2005). Clarifying the relationship between parenthood and depression. J Health Social Behavior, 46, 341-58. https://doi.org/10.1177/002214650504600403
- Ezat WPS FI, Hayati Y, et al (2014). Observational study on patient's satisfactions and quality of life (QoL) among cancer patients receiving treatment with palliative care intent in a tertiary hospital in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 695-701. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.695
- Gotay CC, Muraoka MY (1998). Quality of life in long-term survivors of adult-onset cancers. J Natl Cancer Inst, 90, 656-67. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/90.9.656
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, et al (2010). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality and survival in 2006-2007. J Korean Med Sci, 25, 1113-21. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.8.1113
- Marra CA, Levine M, McKerrow R, Carleton BC (1996). Overview of health-related quality-of-life measures for pediatric patients: application in the assessment of pharmacotherapeutic and pharmacoeconomic outcomes. Pharmacotherapy, 16, 879-88.
- Montazeri A, Milroy R, Gillis CR, McEwen J (1996). Quality of life: perception of lung cancer patients. Eur J Cancer, 32A, 2284-9.
- Pain K DM, Andersson G, Darrah J, Kratochvil M (1998). Quality of life: what does it mean in rehabilitation? J Rehabil, 64, 5-11.
- Aarts JW vEI, Boivin J, Nelen WL, Kremer JA, Verhaak CM (2011). Relationship between quality of life and distress in infertility: a validation study of the Dutch FertiQoL. Hum Reprod, 26, 1112-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/der051
- Alptekin S, Gonullu G, Yucel I, Yaris F (2010). Characteristics and quality of life analysis of caregivers of cancer patients. Med Oncol, 27, 607-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-009-9256-2
- Ashing-Giwa KT, Lim JW (2009). Examining the impact of socioeconomic status and socioecologic stress on physical and mental health quality of life among breast cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum, 36, 79-88. https://doi.org/10.1188/09.ONF.79-88
- Benner P (1985). Quality of life: a phenomenological perspective on explanation, prediction, and understanding in nursing science. ANS Adv Nurs Sci, 8, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-198510000-00004
- Bolsoy N TA, Kavlak O, Sirin A (2010). Differences in quality of life between infertile women and men in Turkey. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs, 39, 191-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2010.01101.x
- Buber I E, H. (2008). Children's impact on the mental health of their older mothers and fathers: findings from the survey of health, ageing and retirement in Europe. Eur J Ageing, 5, 31-45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10433-008-0074-8
- Bures RM, Koropeckyj-Cox T, Loree M (2009). Childlessness, parenthood, and depressive symptoms among middle-aged and older adults. J Family Issues, 30, 670-87. https://doi.org/10.1177/0192513X08331114
- Effects of number and gender of offspring on quality of life among older adults: evidence from the Korean Longitudinal Study of Aging, 2006-2012 vol.5, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007346
- The impact of living arrangements on quality of life among Korean elderly: findings from the Korean Longitudinal Study of Aging (2006–2012) vol.26, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-016-1448-6