- Volume 15 Issue 23
DOI QR Code
Elevated Mean Platelet Volume is Associated with Presence of Colon Cancer
- Li, Jia-Ying (Colorectal Cancer Surgery Department, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Harbin Medical University) ;
- Li, Ying (International Physical Examination and Healthy Center, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Harbin Medical University) ;
- Jiang, Zheng (Colorectal Cancer Surgery Department, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Harbin Medical University) ;
- Wang, Rui-Tao (Department of Geriatrics, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Harbin Medical University) ;
- Wang, Xi-Shan (Colorectal Cancer Surgery Department, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Harbin Medical University)
- Published : 2015.01.06
Background: Colon cancer is the second most common cancer in developed countries. Activated platelets play a key role in inflammation and atherothrombosis, with mean platelet volume (MPV) is an early marker of platelet activation. The aim of the study was to clarify the relevance of MPV in patients with colon cancer. Materials and Methods: We measured MPV levels in 128 patients with colon cancer before and after surgery, and 128 controls matched for age, gender, body mass index (BMI) and smoking status. The odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) for colon cancer were calculated using multivariate logistic regression analyses across MPV quartiles. Results: Patients with colon cancer had higher MPV compared with controls. Surgical tumor resection resulted in a significant decrease in MPV levels (11.4 fL vs 10.7 fL; p<0.001). A positive correlation between MPV and tumor-nodule-metastases (TNM) stage was found. Furthermore, after adjusting for other risk factors, the ORs (95%CIs) for colon cancer according to MPV quartiles were 1.000, 2.238 (1.014-4.943), 3.410 (1.528-7.613), and 5.379 (2.372-12.198), respectively. Conclusions: The findings show that patients with colon cancer have higher MPV levels compared with controls, and these are reduced after surgery. In addition, MPV was found to be independently associated with the presence of colon cancer. Further studies are warranted to assess the utility of MPV as a novel diagnostic screening tool for colon cancer.
Colon cancer;mean platelet volume;platelet activation;diagnostic indicator
Supported by : Science Foundation of Health, Family Planning Commission of Heilongjiang Province
- Anthonisen NR, Skeans MA, Wise RA, et al (2005). The effects of a smoking cessation intervention on 14.5-year mortality: a randomized clinical trial. Ann Intern Med, 142, 233-9. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-142-4-200502150-00005
- Berger JS, Eraso LH, Xie D, Sha D, Mohler ER 3rd (2010). Mean platelet volume and prevalence of peripheral artery disease, the national health and nutrition examination survey, 1999-2004. Atherosclerosis, 213, 586-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2010.09.010
- Borsig L (2008). The role of platelet activation in tumor metastasis. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther, 8, 1247-55. https://doi.org/10.1586/14737188.8.131.527
- Borsig L, Wong R, Feramisco J, Nadeau DR, Varki NM, Varki A (2001). Heparin and cancer revisited: mechanistic connections involving platelets, P-selectin, carcinoma mucins, and tumor metastasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 98, 3352-7. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.061615598
- Braekkan SK, Mathiesen EB, Njolstad I, et al (2010). Mean platelet volume is a risk factor for venous thromboembolism: the tromso study, tromso, Norway. J Thromb Haemost, 8, 157-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03498.x
- Christudoss P, Selvakumar R, Pulimood AB, Fleming JJ, Mathew G (2013). Protective role of aspirin, vitamin C, and zinc and their effects on zinc status in the DMH-induced colon carcinoma model. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4627-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4627
- Chu SG, Becker RC, Berger PB, et al (2010). Mean platelet volume as a predictor of cardiovascular risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Thromb Haemost, 8, 148-56. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03584.x
- Connolly GC, Khorana AA (2010). Emerging risk stratification approaches to cancer-associated thrombosis: risk factors, biomarkers and a risk score. Thromb Res, 125, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2010.01.008
- Ferroni P, Basili S, Martini F, et al (2000). Soluble P-selectin as a marker of platelet hyperactivity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Investig Med, 48, 21-7.
- Gasparyan AY, Sandoo A, Stavropoulos-Kalinoglou A, Kitas GD (2010). Mean platelet volume in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: the effect of anti-TNF-alpha therapy. Rheumatol Int, 30, 1125-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-009-1345-1
- Gawaz M, Langer H, May AE (2005). Platelets in inflammation and atherogenesis. J Clin Invest, 115, 3378-84. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI27196
- Grignani G, Falanga A, Pacchiarini L, et al (1988). Human breast and colon carcinomas express cysteine proteinase activities with pro-aggregating and pro-coagulant properties. Int J Cancer, 42, 554-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910420414
- Italiano JE, Richardson JL, Patel-Hett S, et al (2008). Angiogenesis is regulated by a novel mechanism: proand antiangiogenic proteins are organized into separate platelet alpha granules and differentially released. Blood, 111, 1227-33.
- Karaman K, Bostanci EB, Aksoy E, et al (2011). The predictive value of mean platelet volume in differential diagnosis of non-functional pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors from pancreatic adenocarcinomas. Eur J Intern Med, 22, 95-8.
- Karpatkin S, Pearlstein E, Ambrogio C, Coller BS (1988). Role of adhesive proteins in platelet tumor interaction in vitro and metastasis formation in vivo. J Clin Invest, 81, 1012-9. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI113411
- Kisacik B, Tufan A, Kalyoncu U, et al (2008). Mean platelet volume (MPV) as an inflammatory marker in ankylosing spondylitis and rheumatoid arthritis. Joint Bone Spine, 75, 291-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbspin.2007.06.016
- Konstantopoulos K, Thomas SN (2009). Cancer cells in transit: the vascular interactions of tumor cells. Annu Rev Biomed Eng, 11, 177-202. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-bioeng-061008-124949
- Kozlowski EO, Pavao MS, Borsig L (2011). Ascidian dermatan sulfates attenuate metastasis, inflammation and thrombosis by inhibition of P-selectin. J Thromb Haemost, 9, 1807-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2011.04401.x
- Kurt M, Onal IK, Sayilir AY, et al (2012). The role of mean platelet volume in the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic liver disease. Hepatogastroenterology, 59, 1580-2.
- Lee AY (2003). Epidemiology and management of venous thromboembolism in patients with cancer. Thromb Res, 110, 167-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0049-3848(03)00347-5
- Li HY, Ge X, Huang GM, et al (2012). GSTP1, ERCC1 and ERCC2 polymorphisms, expression and clinical outcome of oxaliplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy in colorectal cancer in Chinese population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3465-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3465
- Logan RF, Grainge MJ, Shepherd VC, Armitage NC, Muir KR (2008). Aspirin and folic acid for the prevention of recurrent colorectal adenomas. Gastroenterology, 134, 29-38. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2007.10.014
- Mueller BM, Reisfeld RA, Edgington TS, Ruf W (1992). Expression of tissue factor by melanoma cells promotes efficient hematogenous metastasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 89, 11832-6. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.89.24.11832
- Muscari A, Puddu GM, Cenni A, et al (2009). Mean platelet volume (MPV) increase during acute non-lacunar ischemic strokes. Thromb Res, 123, 587-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2008.03.025
- Mytnik M, Stasko J (2011). D-dimer, plasminogen activator inhibitor-1, prothrombin fragments and protein C-role in prothrombotic state of colorectal cancer. Neoplasma, 58, 235-8. https://doi.org/10.4149/neo_2011_03_235
- Neurath MF, Finotto S (2011). IL-6 signaling in autoimmunity, chronic inflammation and inflammation-associated cancer. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev, 22, 83-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cytogfr.2011.02.003
- Osada J, Rusak M, Kamocki Z, Dabrowska MI, Kedra B (2010). Platelet activation in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Neoplasma, 57, 145-50. https://doi.org/10.4149/neo_2010_02_145
- Park Y, Schoene N, Harris W (2002). Mean platelet volume as an indicator of platelet activation: methodological issues. Platelets, 13, 301-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/095371002220148332
- Pauwels RA, Lofdahl CG, Laitinen LA, et al (1999). Longterm treatment with inhaled budesonide in persons with mild chronic obstructive pulmonary disease who continue smoking. european respiratory society study on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med, 340, 1948-53. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199906243402503
- Rizzo A, Pallone F, Monteleone G, Fantini MC (2011). Intestinal inflammation and colorectal cancer: a double-edged sword. World J Gastroenterol, 17, 3092-100.
- Rothwell PM, Wilson M, Elwin CE, et al (2010). Long-term effect of aspirin on colorectal cancer incidence and mortality: 20-year follow-up of five randomised trials. Lancet, 376, 1741-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61543-7
- Sierko E, Wojtukiewicz MZ (2004). Platelets and angiogenesis in malignancy. Semin Thromb Hemost, 30, 95-108. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-822974
- Steiropoulos P, Papanas N, Nena E, et al (2012). Mean platelet volume and platelet distribution width in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the role of comorbidities. Angiology, 64, 535-9.
- Wei M, Tai G, Gao Y, et al (2004). Modified heparin inhibits P-selectin-mediated cell adhesion of human colon carcinoma cells to immobilized platelets under dynamic flow conditions. J Biol Chem, 279, 29202-10. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M312951200
- Weitz J, Koch M, Debus J, et al (2005). Colorectal cancer. Lancet, 365, 153-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)17706-X
- Yuksel O, Helvaci K, Basar O, et al (2009). An overlooked indicator of disease activity in ulcerative colitis: mean platelet volume. Platelets, 20, 277-81. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537100902856781
- Mean platelet volume in retinopathy of prematurity vol.253, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00417-015-3047-6
- Diagnostic and prognostic roles of the mean platelet volume in malignant tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis vol.27, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3109/09537104.2016.1169265
- Role of increased mean platelet volume (MPV) and decreased MPV/platelet count ratio as poor prognostic factors in lung cancer pp.17526981, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/crj.12605
- The clinical implications of mean platelet volume and mean platelet volume/platelet count ratio in locally advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma vol.31, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/dote/dox125
- Critical evaluation of platelet size as a prognostic biomarker in colorectal cancer across multiple treatment settings: a retrospective cohort study pp.1699-3055, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-019-02037-7