- Volume 15 Issue 23
Background: While the incidence of non-Hodgkins lymphoma (NHL) has been rising worldwide, the reasons remain undefined. Recent research has focused on effect of red andf processed meat intake as a risk factor, but with inconclusive results. We therefore conducted a meta-analysis of data published to date, to ascertain the overall association between intake and NHL. Materials and Methods: A published literature search was performed through Pubmed, Cochrane Library, Medline, and Science Citation Index Expanded databases for articles published in English. Pooled odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (95%CIs) were calculated using random or fixed effects models. Heterogeneity was assessed using Chi-square and I2 statistics. Dissemination bias was evaluated by funnel plot analysis.We performed a formal meta-analysis using summary measures from these studies. Results: In total, 11 published studies were included in the final analysis. The combined analysis revealed that there was significant association between the red meat and NHL risk (OR=1.10, 95%CI: 1.02 to 1.19, p=0.01). Additionally, there was showed significance association between processed red meat and NHL risk (OR=1.17, 95%CI: 1.06 to 1.29, p=0.001). In subgroup analysis, a statistical significant association was noted between diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) (OR=1.20, 95%CI: 1.04 to 2.37, P=0.01) and red meat intake. Conclusions: In this meta-Analysis, there was evidence for association between consumption of red meat, or processed meat and risk of NHL, particularly with the DLBCL subtype in the red meat case.
Red meat;non-Hodgkins lymphoma;risk factor;meta-analysis
- Binesh F, Akhavan A, Behniafard N, Atefi A(2014). Clinicopathologic and survival characteristics of childhood and adolescent non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in Yazd, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1585-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1585
- Calder PC, Grimble RF (2002). Polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation and immunity. Eur J Clin Nutr, 56, 14-9 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601478
- Chang ET, Balter KM, Torrang A, et al (2006). Nutrient intake and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Am J Epidemiol, 164, 1222-32. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwj330
- Chiu BC, Cerhan JR, Folsom AR, et al (1996). Diet and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in older women. JAMA, 275, 1315-21. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1996.03530410029029
- Cross AJ, Ward MH, Schenk M, et al (2006). Meat and meatmutagen intake and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: results from a NCI-SEER case-control study. Carcinogenesis, 27, 293-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgi212
- Daniel CR, Sinha R, Park Y, et al (2012). Meat intake is not associated with risk of non-hodgkin lymphoma in a large prospective cohort of US men and women. J Nutrition, 142, 1074-80. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.112.158113
- Davis S (1992). Nutritional factors and the development of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a review of the evidence. Cancer Res, 52, 5492-5.
- Amanat A, Al-Belushi B, Waly M, Al-Moundhri M, Burney Ik (2013). Dietary and lifestyle factors and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in Oman. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 841-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.841
- Amoori N, Mirzaei M, Cheraghi M(2014). Incidence of cancers in kuzestan province of Iran: Trend from 2004 to 2008. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8345-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8345
- Erber E, Maskarinec G, Gill JK, Park S-Y, Kolonel LN (2009). Dietary patterns and the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: the Multiethnic Cohort. Leukemia Lymphoma, 50, 1269-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/10428190903030841
- Kabat GC, Kim MY, Wactawski-Wende J, et al (2012). Anthropometric factors, physical activity and risk of Nonhodgkin's lymphoma in the women's health initiative. Cancer Epidemiology, 36, 52-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2011.05.014
- Karami K, Cheraghi M, Amori N, Pedram M, Sobhani A(2014). Common Cancers in Khuzestan Province, South West of Iran, during 2005-2011. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev: APJCP, 15, 9475-8 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9475
- Kilfoy B, Nicholas J, Kolar Ca, et al (2012). Meat intake and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer Causes Control, 23, 1681-92. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-012-0047-2
- Parkin DM, Whelan SL, Ferlay J, Teppo L, Thomas DB (2003). Cancer Incidence in Five Continents.
- Polesel J, Talamini R, Montella M et al (2006). Linoleic acid,vitamin D and other nutrient intakes in the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: an Italian case-control study. Ann Oncol, 17, 713-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdl054
- Purdue MP, Bassani DG, Klar NS, Sloan M, Kreiger N(2004). Dietary factors and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma by histologic subtype: a case-control analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 1665-76.
- Rohrmann S, Linseisen J, Jakobsen MU, et al(2011). Consumption of meat and dairy and lymphoma risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Int J Cancer, 128, 623-34. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25387
- Salim EI, Jazieh AR, Moore MA (2011). Lung cancer incidence in the Arab league countries; risk factors and control. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 17-34.
- Sangrajrang S, Renard H, Kuhaprema T, et al (2011). Personal use of hair dyes - increased risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2393-6.
- Stefani E, Ronco AL, Deneo-Pellegrini H, et al (2013). Meat, milk and risk of lymphoid malignancies: a case-control study in Uruguay. Nutrition Cancer, 65, 375-83 https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2013.761255
- Talamini R, Polesel J, Montella M, Dal Maso L, Crovatto M, Crispo A, et al (2006). Food groups and risk of non Hodgkin lymphoma: A multicenter, case control study in Italy. Int J Cancer, 118, 2871-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21737
- Yaqoob P (2002). Monounsaturated fatty acids and immune function. Eur J Clin Nutr, 56, 9-13. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601477
- Yildirim M, Karakilinc H, Yildiz M, et al (2013). Non-hodgkin lymphoma and pesticide exposure in Turkey. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14, 3461-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3461
- Zekri AR, Hassan ZK, Bahnassy AA et al (2013). Gene expression profiling of non-Hodgkin lymphomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4393-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4393
- Zhang S, Hunter DJ, Rosner BA, et al (1999). Dietary fat and protein in relation to risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma among women. J National Cancer Institute, 91, 1751-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/91.20.1751
- Zheng T, Holford TR, Leaderer B, et al (2004). Diet and nutrient intakes and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in Connecticut women. Am J Epidemiol, 159, 454-66. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwh067
- Epidemiology and trend of common cancers in Iran (2004-2008) vol.26, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12449
- Red meat, diseases, and healthy alternatives: A critical review pp.1549-7852, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2016.1158148
- A summary of meat intakes and health burdens pp.1476-5640, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2017.117
- Dairy Product Consumption and Risk of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: A Meta-Analysis vol.8, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8030120