- Volume 15 Issue 23
DOI QR Code
Can Recurrence and Progression be Predicted by HYAL-1 Expression in Primary T1 Bladder Cancer?
- Mammadov, Elnur (Urology, Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Aslan, Guven (Urology, Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Tuna, Burcin (Pathology, Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Bozkurt, Ozan (Urology, Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Yorukoglu, Kutsal (Pathology, Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University)
- Published : 2015.01.06
Background: Molecular prognostic markers have been under investigation for the last decade and no validated marker to date has been proven to be used in daily clinical practice for urinary bladder cancers. The aim of the present study is to evaluate the significance of HYAL-1 expression in prediction of recurrence and progression in pT1 urothelial carcinomas. Materials and Methods: Eighty-nine urothelial carcinoma cases staged as T1 according to 2004 WHO classification were studied. Representative sections from every case were stained immunohistochemically for HYAL-1 and scored between 0 and +3, according to staining density, and graded as low and high for the scores 0-1 and 2-3, respectively. Results: Of the 89 pT1 bladder cancer patients, HYAL-1 expression was high in 92.1% (82 patients; 72 patients +3 and 10 patients +2) and low in 7.9% (only 7 patients; 6 patients +1 and 1 patient 0) of the cases. Of the 89 patients, 38 (42.7%) had recurrence and 22 (24.7%) showed progression. HYAL-1 staining did not show significant characteristics for tumor grade, accompanying CIS, multiplicity, tumor size, age and sex. HYAL-1 expression did not have any prognostic value in estimating recurrence or progression. Conclusions: HYAL-1 expression was found to be high, but did not have any prognostic importance in T1 bladder urothelial carcinomas.
- Andius P, Johansson SL, Holman S (2007). Prognostic factors in stage T1 bladder cancer: tumor pattern (solid or papillary) and vascular invasion more important than depth of invasion. Urology, 70, 758-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2007.06.638
- Bryan RT, Zeegers MP, James ND, Wallace DM, Cheng KK (2010). Biomarkers in bladder cancer. BJU Int, 105, 608-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.08880.x
- Chen JX, Deng N, Chen X et al (2012). A novel molecular grading model: combination of Ki67 and VEGF in predicting tumor recurrence and progression in non-invasive urothelial bladder cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2229-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2229
- Cho KS, Seo HK, Joung JY et al (2009). Lymphovascular Invasion in Transurethral Resection Specimens as Predictor of Progression and Metastasis in Patients With Newly Diagnosed T1 Bladder Urothelial Cancer. J Urol, 182, 2625-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2009.08.083
- Csoka AB, Frost GI, Stern R (2001). The six hyaluronidase-like genes in the human and mouse genomes. Matrix Biol, 20, 499-508. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0945-053X(01)00172-X
- Dalbagni G, Parekh DJ, Ben-Porat L, et al (2007). Prospective evaluation of p53 as a prognostic marker in T1 transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. BJU Int, 99, 281-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2006.06624.x
- Ding MX, Wang HF, Wang JS et al (2012). ppGalNAc T1 as a potential novel marker for human bladder cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5653-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5653
- Eissa S, Kassim SK, Labib RA et al (2005). Detection of bladder carcinoma by combined testing of urine for hyaluronidase and cytokeratin 20 RNAs. Cancer, 103, 1356-62. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20902
- Ekici S, Cerwinka WH, Duncan R et al (2004). Comparison of the prognostic potential of hyaluronic acid, hyaluronidase (HYAL-1), CD44v6, and microvessel density for prostate cancer. Int J Cancer, 112, 121-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20368
- Ghafouri-Fard S, Nekoohesh L, Motevaseli E (2014). Bladder cancer biomarkers: review and update. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2395-403. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2395
- Gomez CS, Gomez P, Knapp J et al (2009). Hyaluronic acid and HYAL-1 in prostate biopsy specimens: predictors of biochemical recurrence. J Urol, 182, 1350-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2009.06.070
- Habuchi T, Marberger M, Droller MJ et al (2005). Prognostic markers for bladder cancer: International Consensus Panel on bladder tumor markers. Urology, 66, 64-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2005.08.065
- Heney NM (1992). Natural history of superficial bladder cancer. Prognostic features and long-term disease course. Urol Clin North Am, 19, 429-33.
- Herr HW, Donat SM, Dalbagni G (2007). Can restaging transurethral resection of T1 bladder cancer select patients for immediate cystectomy? J Urol, 177, 75-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2006.08.070
- Huang YJ, Qi WX, He AN et al (2013). Prognostic Value of Tissue Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Expression in Bladder Cancer: a Meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 645-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.645
- Kirkali Z, Chan T, Manoharan M et al (2005). Bladder cancer: epidemiology, staging and grading, and diagnosis. Urology, 66, 4-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(05)00945-3
- Kramer MW, Golshani R, Merseburger AS et al (2010). HYAL-1 hyaluronidase: a potential prognostic indicator for progression to muscle invasion and recurrence in bladder cancer. Eur Urol, 57, 86-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2009.03.057
- Kramer MW, Escudero DO, Lokeshwar SD et al (2011). Association of hyaluronic acid family members (HAS1, HAS2, and HYAL-1) with bladder cancer diagnosis and prognosis. Cancer, 117, 1197-209. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25565
- Lascombe I, Clairotte A, Fauconnet S et al (2006). N-Cadherin as a Novel Prognostic Marker of Progression in Superficial Urothelial Tumors. Clin Cancer Res, 12, 2780-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-05-2387
- Lokeshwar VB, Rubinowicz D, Schroeder GL et al (2001). Stromal and epithelial expression of tumor markers hyaluronic acid and HYAL1 hyaluronidase in prostate cancer. J Biol Chem, 276, 11922-32. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M008432200
- Lokeshwar VB, Young MJ, Goudarzi G et al (1999). Identification of bladder tumor-derived hyaluronidase: its similarity to HYAL1. Cancer Res, 59, 4464-70.
- Lokeshwar VB, Cerwinka WH, Lokeshwar BL (2005). HYAL1 hyaluronidase: a molecular determinant of bladder tumor growth and invasion. Cancer Res, 65, 2243-50. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-2805
- Lokeshwar VB, Cerwinka WH, Isoyama T, Lokeshwar BL (2005). HYAL1 hyaluronidase in prostate cancer: a tumor promoter and suppressor. Cancer Res, 65, 7782-9.
- Lopez-Knowles E, Hernandez S, Kogevinas M et al (2006). The p53 pathway and outcome among patients with T1G3 bladder tumors. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 6029-36.
- Nieder AM, Brausi M, Lamm D et al (2005). Management of stage T1 tumors of the bladder. International Consensus Panel. Urology, 66, 108-25.
- Posey JT, Soloway MS, Ekici S et al (2003). Evaluation of the prognostic potential of hyaluronic acid and hyaluronidase (HYAL1) for prostate cancer. Cancer Res, 63, 2638-44.
- Schrier BP, Hollander MP, van Rhijn BW, Kiemeney LA, Witjes JA (2004). Prognosis of muscle-invasive bladder cancer: difference between primary and progressive tumours and implications for therapy. Eur Urol, 45, 292-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2003.10.006
- Shariat SF, Karam JA, Lerner SP (2008). Molecular markers in bladder cancer. Curr Opin Urol, 18, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOU.0b013e3282f1c5c1
- Simpson MA, Lokeshwar VB (2008). Hyaluronan and hyaluronidase in genitourinary tumors. Front Biosci, 13, 5664-80.
- Srivastava AK, Singh PK, Srivastava K et al (2013). Diagnostic role of survivin in urinary bladder cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 81-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.81
- Stein JP, Penson DF (2008). Invasive T1 bladder cancer: indications and rationale for radical cystectomy. BJU Int, 102, 270-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2008.07743.x
- Tuna B, Yorukoglu K, Tuzel E et al (2003). Expression of p53 and mdm2 and their significance in recurrence of superficial bladder cancer. Pathol Res Pract, 199, 323-8. https://doi.org/10.1078/0344-0338-00424
- Wang HF, Wang JS (2012). Research progress in potential urinary markers for the early detection, diagnosis and follow-up of human bladder cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1723-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1723
- Evaluation and screening of mRNA S100A genes as serological biomarkers in different stages of bladder cancer in Egypt vol.37, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-4264-7