- Volume 15 Issue 23
DOI QR Code
Diagnostic and Prognostic Importance of the Neutrophil Lymphocyte Ratio in Breast Cancer
- Ozyalvacli, Gulzade (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Abant Izzet Baysal University) ;
- Yesil, Cemile (Division of Pathology, Synevo Medical Laboratory) ;
- Kargi, Ertugrul (Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Abant Izzet Baysal University) ;
- Kizildag, Betul (Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Abant Izzet Baysal University) ;
- Kilitci, Asuman (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Abant Izzet Baysal University) ;
- Yilmaz, Fahri (Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Abant Izzet Baysal University)
- Published : 2015.01.06
Background: The aim of this study was to determine diagnostic and prognostic roles of the neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio (NLR) in breast cancer patients. To date, data are limited on associations of primary breast carcinoma (PBC) and benign proliferative breast disease (BPBD) with preoperative NLR values. Materials and Methods: Our study covered of 120 female patients with PBC and 50 with BPBD. Diagnostic values of NLR were estimated using sensitivity, specificity and areas under receiver operating characteristic curves (AUC). Results: NLR values were significantly higher in the PBC patients than in those with BPBD, with an AUC of 0.668 in the PBC case. The optimal cut-off for NLR was 2.96 and this was validated in the testing set, giving a sensitivity and a specificity of 79.7% and 76.2%, respectively, in PBC patients. Conclusions: Preoperative high NLR is a significant diagnostic predictor of distinction of breast cancer from BPBD and elevated NLR is also an important prognostic marker for primary invasive breast cancer.
- Hammond ME, Hayes DF, Dowsett M, et al (2010). American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for immunohistochemical testing of estrogen and progesterone receptors in breast cancer. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 134, 907-22.
- Kemal Y, Yucel I, Ekiz K, et al (2014). Elevated serum neutrophil to lymphocyte and platelet to lymphocyte ratios could be useful in lung cancer diagnosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2651-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2651
- Leek RD, Landers R, Fox SB, et al (1998). Association of tumour necrosis factor alpha and its receptors with thymidine phosphorylase expression in invasive breast carcinoma. Br J Cancer, 77, 2246-51. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1998.373
- Lester SC, Bose S, Chen YY, et al (2009). Protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with invasive carcinoma of the breast. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 133, 1515-38.
- Lv M, Li B, Li Y, et al (2011). Predictive role of molecular subtypes in response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients in Northeast China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2411-7.
- Naylor MS, Stamp GW, Foulkes WD, EcclesD, BalkwillFR (1993). Tumor necrosis factor and its receptors in human ovarian cancer. Potential role in disease progression. J Clin Invest, 91, 2194-206. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI116446
- Ohashi R, Takahashi K, Miura K, et al (2006). Prognostic factors in patients with inoperable non-small cell lung cancer--an analysis of long-term survival patients. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 33, 1595-602.
- Parise CA, Bauer KR, Brown MM, Caggiano V (2009). Breast cancer subtypes as defined by the estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and the human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) among women with invasive breast cancer in California, 1999-2004. Breast J, 15, 593-602. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2009.00822.x
- Perou CM, Sorlie T, Eisen MB, et al (2000). Molecular portraits of human breast tumours. Nature, 406, 747-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/35021093
- Proctor MJ, McMillan DC, Morrison DS, et al (2012). A derived neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio predicts survival in patients with cancer. Br J Cancer, 107, 695-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.292
- Rao C, Shetty J, Prasad KH (2013). Immunohistochemical profile and morphology in triple - negative breast cancers. J Clin Diagn Res, 7, 1361-5.
- Sorlie T, Tibshirani R, Parker J, et al (2003). Repeated observation of breast tumor subtypes in independent gene expression data sets. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 100, 8418-23. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0932692100
- Su Y, Zheng Y, Zheng W, et al (2011). Distinct distribution and prognostic significance of molecular subtypes of breast cancer in Chinese women: a population-based cohort study. BMC Cancer, 11, 292. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-292
- Unal D, Eroglu C, Kurtul N, et al (2013). Are neutrophil/ lymphocyte and platelet/lymphocyte rates in patients
- Balta S, Demirkol S, Kucuk U, et al (2013). Neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio may predict mortality in breast cancer patients. J Breast Cancer, 16, 354-5. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.3.354
- Bhatti I, Peacock O, Lloyd G, Larvin M, Hall RI (2010). Preoperative hematologic markers as independent predictors of prognosis in resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: neutrophil-lymphocyte versus platelet-lymphocyte ratio. Am J Surg, 200, 197-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2009.08.041
- Catsburg C, Gunter MJ, Chen C, et al (2014). Insulin, estrogen, inflammatory markers, and risk of benign proliferative breast disease. Cancer Res, 74, 3248-58. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-13-3514
- Choccalingam C, Rao L, Rao S (2012). Clinico-pathological characteristics of triple negative and non triple negative high grade breast carcinomas with and without basal marker (CK5/6 and EGFR) expression at a rural tertiary hospital in India. Breast Cancer, 6, 21-9.
- Diaz LK, Sahin A, Sneige N (2004). Interobserver agreement for estrogen receptor immunohistochemical analysis in breast cancer: a comparison of manual and computer-assisted scoring methods. Ann Diagn Pathol, 8, 23-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2003.11.004
- Dirican A, Kucukzeybek BB, Alacacioglu A, et al (2014). Do the derived neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio and the neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio predict prognosis in breast cancer? Int J Clin Oncol.
- Dou X, Wang RB, Yan HJ, et al (2013). Circulating lymphocytes as predictors of sensitivity to preoperative chemoradiotherapy in rectal cancer cases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3881-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3881
- Eryilmaz MK, Mutlu H, Salim DK, et al (2014). The neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio has a high negative predictive value for pathologic complete response in locally advanced breast cancer patients receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7737-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7737
- Fisher ER, Anderson S, Dean S, et al (2005). Solving the dilemma of the immunohistochemical and other methods used for scoring estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor in patients with invasive breast carcinoma. Cancer, 103, 164-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20761
- Azab B, Bhatt VR, Phookan J, et al (2012). Usefulness of the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in predicting short- and long-term mortality in breast cancer patients. Ann Surg Oncol, 19, 217-24. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-011-1814-0
- Balkwill F, Mantovani A (2001). Inflammation and cancer: back to Virchow? Lancet, 357, 539-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)04046-0
- Fogar P, Sperti C, Basso D, et al (2006). Decreased total lymphocyte counts in pancreatic cancer: an index of adverse outcome. Pancreas, 32, 22-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mpa.0000188305.90290.50
- Guthrie GJ, Charles KA, Roxburgh CS, et al (2013). The systemic inflammation-based neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio: experience in patients with cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 88, 218-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2013.03.010
- Gutierrez C, Schiff R (2011). HER2: biology, detection, and clinical implications. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 135, 55-62.
- The prognostic value of pretreatment neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in breast cancer: Deleterious or advantageous? vol.39, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010428317706214
- White blood cell and platelet indices as prognostic markers in patients with invasive ductal breast carcinoma vol.12, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.4760
- High-concentration glucose enhances invasion in invasive ductal breast carcinoma by promoting Glut1/MMP2/MMP9 axis expression vol.13, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.5843
- Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio, obesity, and breast cancer risk in Chinese population vol.97, pp.30, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000011692
- CD58; leucocyte function adhesion-3 (LFA-3) could be used as a differentiating marker between immune and non-immune thyroid disorders vol.27, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00580-018-2657-x