- Volume 15 Issue 23
DOI QR Code
Dopamine Receptor Gene (DRD1-DRD5) Expression Changes as Stress Factors Associated with Breast Cancer
- Pornour, Majid (Neuroimmunopsychooncogenetic Group, Department of Medical Genetics, National Institute of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology) ;
- Ahangari, Ghasem (Neuroimmunopsychooncogenetic Group, Department of Medical Genetics, National Institute of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology) ;
- Hejazi, Seyed Hesam (Neuroimmunopsychooncogenetic Group, Department of Medical Genetics, National Institute of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology) ;
- Ahmadkhaniha, Hamid Reza (Tehran Institute of Psychiatry, Mental Health Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Akbari, Mohamad Esmail (Department of Cancer Surgery, Cancer Research Center, Shohada Hospital ShahidBeheshti, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.01.06
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among females worldwide and a most prevalent malignancy in Iranian women. Chronic stress may make an important contribution to cancer, especially in the breast. Numerous studies showed roles of neurotransmitters in the occurrence and progression of cancers which are mediated by their various types of receptors. This study was conducted to evaluate alterations in the expression profile of dopamine receptor genes in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) as stress factors in breast cancer patients and the human breast cancer cell line (MCF-7). Peripheral blood samples were obtained from 30 patients and 30 healthy individuals. Total mRNA was extracted from PBMC and MCF-7 cells and RT-PCR was performed to confirm the presence of five dopamine receptors (DRD1-DRD5). Expression changes of dopamine receptor genes were evaluated by real time PCR. We observed that DRD2-DRD4 in PBMCs of breast cancer patients were increased compared to healthy individuals. In addition, all dopamine receptor subtypes but DRD1 were expressed in MCF-7 cells. Therefore, alterations of these receptors as stress factors should be assessed for selecting appropriate drugs such as D2-like agonists for treatment of breast cancer after performing complimentary tests. Determining the expression profile of dopamine receptor genes thus seems promising.
Stress;breast cancer;dopamine receptors;gene expression;neurotransmitters;peripheral blood cells
Supported by : National Institute for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (NIGEB)
- Inayat-Hussain S, McGuinness S, Johansson R, et al (2000). Caspase-dependent and-independent mechanisms in apoptosis induced by hydroquinone and catechol metabolites of remoxipride in HL-60 cells. Chem-Biol Interact, 128, 51-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-2797(00)00188-5
- Jafari M, Ahangari G, Saberi M, et al (2013). Distorted expression of dopamine receptor genes in systemic lupus erythematosus. Immunobiology, 218, 979-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imbio.2012.11.002
- Jiang Y-N, Li Y-H, Ke M-W, et al (2007). Caveolin-1 sensitizes rat pituitary adenoma GH3 cells to bromocriptine induced apoptosis. Cancer Cell Int, 7, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2867-7-1
- Kirillova GP, Hrutkay RJ, Shurin MR, et al (2008). Dopamine receptors in human lymphocytes: radioligand binding and quantitative RT-PCR assays. J Neuroscience Methods, 174, 272-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneumeth.2008.07.018
- Kwak YT, Koo M-S, Choi C-H, et al (2001). Change of dopamine receptor mRNA expression in lymphocyte of schizophrenic patients. BMC Medical Genetics, 2, 3.
- Mancino M, Ametller E, Gascon P, et al (2011). The neuronal influence on tumor progression. Biochim Biophys Acta-Reviews Cancer, 1816, 105-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbcan.2011.04.005
- Marsh K G, Ling W, Leung F, et al (2010). Anxiety, depression and quality of life among Chinese breast cancer patients during adjuvant therapy. Eur J Oncology Nurs, 14, 17-22.
- Reiche EMV, Nunes SOV, Morimoto HK (2004). Stress, depression, the immune system, and cancer. Lancet Oncol, 5, 617-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(04)01597-9
- Sarkar C, Chakroborty D, Chowdhury UR, et al (2008). Dopamine increases the efficacy of anticancer drugs in breast and colon cancer preclinical models. Clinl Cancer Research, 14, 2502-10. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1778
- Barik J, Marti F, Morel C, et al (2013). Chronic stress triggers social aversion via glucocorticoid receptor in dopaminoceptive neurons. Science, 339, 332-5. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1226767
- Basu B, Sarkar C, Chakroborty D, et al (2010). D1 and D2 dopamine receptor-mediated inhibition of activated normal T cell proliferation is lost in jurkat T leukemic cells. J Biol Chem, 285, 27026-32. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M110.144022
- Beaulieu JM, Gainetdinov RR (2011). The physiology, signaling, and pharmacology of dopamine receptors. Pharmacol Rev, 63, 182-217. https://doi.org/10.1124/pr.110.002642
- Brennan ME, Houssami N (2011). Overview of long term care of breast cancer survivors. Maturitas, 69, 106-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2011.03.010
- Chakroborty D, Sarkar C, Mitra RB, et al (2004). Depleted dopamine in gastric cancer tissues dopamine treatment retards growth of gastric cancer by inhibiting angiogenesis. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 4349-56. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-0059
- Cohen S, Janicki-Deverts D, Miller GE (2007). Psychological stress and disease. JAMA, 298, 1685-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.298.14.1685
- De Leeuw van Weenen J, Auvinen H, Parlevliet E, et al (2011). Blocking dopamine D2 receptors by haloperidol curtails the beneficial impact of calorie restriction on the metabolic phenotype of high fat diet induced obese mice. J Neuroendocrinology, 23, 158-67. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2826.2010.02092.x
- Elenkov IJ, Wilder RL, Chrousos GP, et al (2000). The sympathetic nerve-an integrative interface between two supersystems: the brain and the immune system. Pharmacol Rev, 52, 595-638.
- Ganguly S BB, Shome S, Jadhav T, et al (2010). Dopamine, by acting through its DRD2 receptor, inhibits insulin-like growth factor-i (IGF-I)-induced gastric cancer cell proliferation via up-regulation of kruppel-like factor 4 through downregulation of IGF-IR and AKT phosphorylation. Am J Pathol, 177, 2701-7. https://doi.org/10.2353/ajpath.2010.100617
- Haghighat S, Akbari M, Ghaffari S, Yavari P (2012). Standardized breast cancer mortality rate compared to the general female population of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5525-28. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5525
- Hejazi SH, Ahangari G, Pornour M, et al (2014). Evaluation of gene expression changes of serotonin receptors, 5-HT3AR and 5-HT2AR as main stress factors in breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4455. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4455
- Shaikhpoor M, Ahangari G, Sadeghizadeh M, et al (2012). Significant changes in D2-like Dopamine gene receptors expression associated with non-small-cell lung cancer: could it be of potential use in the design of future therapeutic strategies? Current Cancer Therapy Reviews, 8, 304-10.
- Tonge D, Edstrom A, Ekstrom P (1998). Use of explant cultures of peripheral nerves of adult vertebrates to study axonal regenerationn in vitro. Progress Neurobiol, 54, 459-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-0082(97)00072-5
- Yavuzsen T KD, Cehreli R, Dirioz M (2012). Effect of group therapy on psychological symptoms and quality of life in Turkish patients with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5593-97. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5593
- Aberrant miRNA promoter methylation and EMT-involving miRNAs in breast cancer metastasis: Diagnosis and therapeutic implications pp.00219541, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.26116
- The diversity in the expression profile of caveolin II transcripts, considering its new transcript in breast cancer pp.07302312, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.26378
- expression in human breast cancer cells vol.119, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.26577