- Volume 15 Issue 23
DOI QR Code
Identifying High-Risk Clusters of Gastric Cancer Incidence in Iran, 2004 - 2009
- Kavousi, Amir (Department of Basic Sciences, School of Health, Safety and Environment, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Bashiri, Yousef (Department of Biostatistics, School of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mehrabi, Yadollah (Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Etemad, Korosh (Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Teymourpour, Amir (Department of Biostatistics, School of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.01.06
Background: Gastric cancer is considered as the second most prevalent cancer in Iran. The present research sought to identify high risk clusters of gastric cancer with mapping using space-time scan statistics. Materials and Methods: The present research is of descriptive type. The required data were gathered from the registered cancer reports of Cancer Control Office in the Center for Non Communicable Disease of the Ministry of Health (MOH). The data were extracted at province level in the time span of 2004-9. Sat-Scan software was used to analyse the data and to identify high risk clusters. ArcGIS10 was utilized to map the distribution of gastric cancer and to demonstrate high risk clusters. Results: The most likely clusters were found in Ardabil, Gilan, Zanjan, East-Azerbaijan, Qazvin, West-Azerbaijan, Kurdistan, Hamadan, Tehran and Mazandaran between 2007 and 2009. It was statistically significant at the p-value below 0.05. Conclusions: High risk regions included Northern, West-North and central provinces, particularly Ardabil, Kurdistan, Mazandaran and Gilan. More screening tests are suggested to be conducted in high risk regions along with more frequent epidemiological studies to enact gastric cancer prevention programs.
Gastric cancer;space-time scan statistics;cluster identification;mapping
- Asmarian NS, Kavousi A, Salehi M, et al (2012). Mapping of stomach cancer rate in Iran using area-to-area poisson kriging. Health System Res, 8, 681-7 (in Persian).
- Behnampour N, Hajizadeh E, Zayeri F, et al (2014). Modeling of influential predictors of gastric cancer incidence rates in Golestan Province, North Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1111-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1111
- Belli S, Benedetti M, Comba P, et al (2004). Case-control study on cancer risk associated to residence in the neighbourhood of a petrochemical plant. Eur J Epidemiol, 19, 49-54.
- Brody JG, Aschengrau A, McKelvey W, et al (2004). Breast cancer risk and historical exposure to pesticides from wide-area applications assessed with GIS. Environ Health Perspect, 112, 889. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.6845
- Cancer IAfRo (2014). GLOBOCAN 2012: estimated cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide in 2012. World Health Organization. http://globocan. iarc. fr/Pages/ fact_sheets_cancer.aspx. Accessed on, 9.
- Neill DB (2006). Detection of spatial and spatio-temporal clusters: Doctoral dissertation, University of South Carolina.
- Neill DB, Moore AW (2004). Detecting space-time clusters: prior work and new directions: report.
- DeChello LM, Sheehan TJ (2007). Spatial analysis of colorectal cancer incidence and proportion of late-stage in Massachusetts residents: 1995-1998. Int J Health Geogr, 6, 20. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-072X-6-20
- Gelman A, Carlin JB, Stern HS, et al (2003). Bayesian Data Analysis, (Chapman & Hall/CRC Texts in Statistical Science).
- Kulldorff M. 2014. SaTScan: software for the spatial, temporal, and space-time scan statistics, version 9.3 [computer program] [Online].
- Kulldorff M, Athas WF, Feurer EJ, et al (1998). Evaluating cluster alarms: a space-time scan statistic and brain cancer in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Am J Public Health, 88, 1377-80. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.88.9.1377
- Kulldorff M, Heffernan R, Hartman J, et al (2005). A space-time permutation scan statistic for disease outbreak detection. PLoS medicine, 2, 59. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0020059
- Luginaah IN, Gorey KM, Oiamo TH, et al (2012). A geographical analysis of breast cancer clustering in southern Ontario: generating hypotheses on environmental influences. Int J Environ Health Res, 22, 232-48. https://doi.org/10.1080/09603123.2011.634386
- Mohebbi M, Mahmoodi M, Wolfe R, et al (2008). Geographical spread of gastrointestinal tract cancer incidence in the Caspian Sea region of Iran: spatial analysis of cancer registry data. BMC Cancer, 8, 137. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-137
- Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Mohagheghi M, Zeraatti H, et al (2001). Cancer registration in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 2, 25-9.
- Naus JI (1965a). The distribution of the size of the maximum cluster of points on a line. J Am Stat Assoc, 60, 532-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1965.10480810
- Naus JI (1965b). Clustering of random points in two dimensions. Biometrika, 263-7.
- Spatial analysis of Relative Risks for skin cancer morbidity and mortality in Iran, 2008 - 2010 vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5225
- Anthocyanins From the Fruit of Vitis coignetiae Pulliat Potentiate the Cisplatin Activity by Inhibiting PI3K/Akt Signaling Pathways in Human Gastric Cancer Cells vol.20, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15430/JCP.2015.20.1.50
- Exploring neighborhood inequality in female breast cancer incidence in Tehran using Bayesian spatial models and a spatial scan statistic vol.39, pp.2092-7193, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4178/epih.e2017021
- Bayesian adjustment for over-estimation and under-estimation of gastric cancer incidence across Iranian provinces vol.9, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4251/wjgo.v9.i2.87
- Bayesian spatio-temporal analysis of stomach cancer incidence in Iran, 2003–2010 vol.32, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00477-018-1531-3