- Volume 15 Issue 23
DOI QR Code
Developing a Scale for the Assessment of Fatigue in Pediatric Oncology Patients Aged 7-12 for Children and Parents
- Kudubes, Asli Akdeniz (Department of Oncology Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Bektas, Murat (Department of Pediatric Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University) ;
- Ugur, Ozlem (Department of Oncology Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Dokuz Eylul University)
- Published : 2015.01.06
Background: This study was planned in an attempt to develop scales for the assessment of fatigue in pediatric oncology patients aged 7-12 as well as for their parents. Materials and Methods: In collecting the study data, we used the Child and Parent Information Form, Visual Fatigue Scale, Scale for the Assessment of Fatigue in Pediatric Oncology Patients Aged 7-12 and the Scale for the Assessment of Fatigue in Pediatric Oncology Patients Aged 7-12 for Parents. We also used Pearson correlation analysis, the Cronbach Alpha coefficient, Factor Analysis and ROC Analysis for the study data. Results: In this study, the total Cronbach alpha value of the parent form was 0.95, the total factor load was 0.52-0.95 and the total variance being explained was 85.7%. The cutoff point of the parent form was 82 points. The total Cronbach alpha value of the child form was 0.98, the total factor load was 0.71-0.94 and the total variance being explained was 84.7%. The cutoff point of the child form was 75 points. Conclusions: This study suggests that our scales for the assessment of fatigue in pediatric oncology patients aged 7-12 and their parents are valid and reliable instruments.
- Dirican A (2001). Evaluation and comparison of diagnostic test performance. J Cerrahpasa Med, 32, 25-30.
- Emir S (2009). Childhood cancers and how we can protect our children against cancer. Pediatrics Bulletin, 6, 2-8.
- Erkus A (2002). Psychometrics is overwritten. Turkish Psychological Association Publication, Ankara, 1-30.
- Gedaly-Duff V, Lee KA, Nail LM, et al (2006). Pain, sleep disturbance, and fatigue in children with leukemia and their parents: A pilot study. Oncol Nurs Forum, 33, 641-6. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.641-646
- Gerceker GO, Yilmaz HB (2012). Reliability and validity of Turkish versions of the child, parent and staff cancer fatigue scales. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3135-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3135
- Gibson F, Garnett M, Richardson A, et al (2000). Heavy to carry: a survey of parents' and healthcare professionals' perceptions of cancer-related fatigue in children and young people. Cancer Nurs, 28, 27-35.
- Gozum S, Aksayan S (2002). Guidelines for cross-cultural scale adaptation II: Psychometric properties and cross-cultural comparison. J Nur Res Development, 5, 3-14.
- Hinds PS (2007). Validity and reliability of a new instrument to measure cancer-related fatigue in adolescents. J Pain Symptom Manage, 34, 607. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2007.01.009
- Hinds PS, Hockenberry-Eaton M (2001). Developing a research program on fatigue in children and adolescents diagnosed with cancer. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 18, 3-12.
- Hockenberry M, Hinds PS (2000). Fatigue in children and adolescents with cancer: evolation of a program study. Semin Oncol Nurs, 16, 261-72. https://doi.org/10.1053/sonu.2000.16577
- Jalmsell L, Kreicbergs U, Onelov E, et al (2006). Symptoms affecting children with malignancies during the last month of life: A nationwide followup. Pediatrics, 117, 1314-20. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-1479
- Karasar N (1999). Scientific research method. Ankara: Memories Publishing.
- Knowles G, Borthwick D, McNamara S, et al (2000). Survey of nurses' assessment of cancer-related fatigue. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl), 9,105-13. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2354.2000.00197.x
- Kudubes AA, Bektas M, Ugur O. (2014). Symptom frequency of children with cancer and parent quality of life in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3487. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3487
- Oncology Nursing Society Fatigue Chapter 11. (2000). Erisim: 05.02.2014, http://www2.ons.org/Research/PEP/media/ons/docs/research/outcomes/fatigue/samplechapter.pdf.
- Ozdamar K (2005). Software packages with statistical data analysis. eskisehir: kaan bookstores, 235-78.
- Akgul A. (2003). Statistical analysis techniques, using SPSS in medical research. Ankara: Offset Labour Limited Company, 187-224, 382-5.
- Arslan FT, Basbakkal Z, Kantar M (2013). Quality of life and chemotherapy-related symptoms of Turkish cancer children undergoing chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1761-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1761
- Bessel A (2001). Children surviving cancer: Psychosocial adjustment, quality of life, and school experiences. Exceptional Children, 67, 345.
- Cancer -Related Fatigue, Practice Guidelines in Oncology-V3-2010. (2010). Erisim: 03-02-2014, www.nccn.org.
- Cancer Facts&Figures-2013. (2013). Erisim: 14.01.2014, http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-036845.pdf.
- Citak EA, Toruner EK, Gunes NB. (2013). Exploring communication difficulties in pediatric hematology: Oncology nurses. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5477-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5477
- Collins JJ, Byrnes ME, Dunkel IJ (2000). The measurement of symptoms in children with cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage, 19, 363-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(00)00127-5
- Demirbag BC, Kurtuncu M, Guven H. (2013). Knowledge of Turkish mothers with children in the 0-13 age group about cancer symptoms. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1031-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.1031
- Ozguven IE (2000). Psychologic tests. Ankara: System Offset.
- Perkins NJ, Schisterman EF (2005). The youden index and the optimal cut point corrected for measurement error. Biom J, 47, 428-41. https://doi.org/10.1002/bimj.200410133
- Savasir I, Sahin HN (2002). Evaluation in cognitive behavioral therapy: Frequently used tools. Ankara: Turkish Psychological Association Publication.
- Sencan H (2005). The reliability and validity of the social and behavioral measurement. ankara: seckin publishing.
- Simsek OF (2007). Structural equation modeling inputs: basic principles and application of LISREL. Istanbul: Ekinoks Publishing.
- Tavsanel E (2002). Attitudes measurement and data analysis with SPSS. Ankara: nobel publishing house, 16-61.
- Varni JW, Burwinkle TM, Szer SI (2004). The PedsQL TM multidimensional fatigue scale in pediatric rheumatology: Reliability and validity. J Rheumatol, 31, 2494-500.
- Varni, JW, Burwinkle TM, Katz ER, et al (2002). The PedsQL TM in pediatric cancer: reliability and validity of the pediatric quality of life inventory TM generic core scales, multidimensional fatigue scale, and cancer module. Cancer. 94, 2090-106. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10428
- Vegian LH, Lubin JH, Anderson H, et al (2012). A pooled analysis of thyroid cancer incidence fallowing radiotherapy for childhood cancer. Radiat Res, 178, 365-76. https://doi.org/10.1667/RR2889.1
- Woodgate RL, Degner LF (2003). Expectations and beliefs about children's cancer symptoms: perspectives of children with cancer and their families. Oncol Nurs Forum, 30, 479-91. https://doi.org/10.1188/03.ONF.479-491
- Woodgate RL, Degner LF, Yanofsky R (2003). A different perspective to approaching cancer symptoms in children. J Pain Symptom Manage, 26, 800-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(03)00285-9
- Yurdugul H (2005). The development of the scale content validity index for the use of content validity, XIV. National Educational Sciences Congress Book, Denizli, 1-6.
- Design, Validity and Reliability of the Cancer-Related Fatigue Questionnaire in Children with Cancer Aged 4 - 18 Years vol.In Press, pp.In Press, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5812/compreped.66245
- The Effect of Fatigue-Related Education on Pediatric Oncology Patients’ Fatigue and Quality of Life pp.1543-0154, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-018-1419-4