- Volume 15 Issue 23
DOI QR Code
Intrinsic Motivation Factors Based on the Self-Determinant Theory for Regular Breast Cancer Screening
- Jung, Su Mi (Department of Health Policy and Management, School of Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Jo, Heui-Sug (Department of Health Policy and Management, School of Medicine, Kangwon National University)
- Published : 2015.01.06
The purpose of this study was to identify factors of intrinsic motivation that affect regular breast cancer screening and contribute to development of a program for strategies to improve effective breast cancer screening. Subjects were residing in South Korea Gangwon-Province and were female over 40 and under 69 years of age. For the investigation, the Intrinsic Motivation Inventory (IMI) was modified to the situation of cancer screening and was used to survey 905 inhabitants. Multinominal logistic regression analyses were conducted for regular breast cancer screening (RS), one-time breast cancer screening (OS) and non-breast cancer screening (NS). For statistical analysis, IBM SPSS 20.0 was utilized. The determinant factors between RS and NS were "perceived effort and choice" and "stress and strain" - internal motivations related to regular breast cancer screening. Also, determinant factors between RS and OS are "age" and "perceived effort and choice" for internal motivation related to cancer screening. To increase regular screening, strategies that address individual perceived effort and choice are recommended.
Supported by : Kangwon National University
- American Cancer Society (1992). Cancer prevention study II. Stat Bull Metrop Insur Co, 73, 21-9.
- Choi JS, Park JY, Han CH (2001). The behavioral and educational factors affecting the breast self-examination and breast cancer screening. Korean J Health Educ Promot, 18, 61-78.
- Cunningham JA, Selby PL, Faulkner G (2007). Increasing perceived choice about change in smokers: Implications. Addictive Behaviors, 32, 1907-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2007.01.011
- Deci EL, Ryan RM (2000). The "what" and "why" of goal pursuits: Human needs and the self-determination of behavior. Psychol Inq, 11, 227-68. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1104_01
- Figen O, Ayfer K (2012). Reliability and validity of the quality of life-family version (QOL-FV) in Turkish family caregivers of patients with cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4235-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4235
- Grabler P, Dupuy D, Rai J (2012). Bernstein S and Ansell D. Regular screening mammography before the diagnosis of breast cancer reduces black:white breast cancer differences and modifies negative biological prognostic factors. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 135, 549-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-012-2193-3
- Halabi S, Skinner SC, Samsa GP, Strigo TS, Crawford YS (2000). Factors associated with repeat mammography screening. J Fam Pract, 49, 1104-11.
- Jeong IS, Kim SH, Kim YS (2004). Related factors with the cervical cancer screening and repeated screening. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health, 8, 185-98.
- Kim EK, Lee HJ, Ahn SH, Chung ES (2003). Factors influencing on the compliance of breast self-examination of nurses in a local area. J Korean Acad Nurs, 33, 1047-56.
- Kim M, Park Y (2011). Knowledge, attitude, and practice of obstetric nurses in relation to breast cancer and breast selfexamination. Korean J Women Health Nurs, 17, 88-98. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.1.88
- Korean Breast Cancer Society (2008). Breast cancer facts & figures : 2006-2008. http://www.kbcs.or.kr/journal/file/2006_2008_breast_cancer_facts_and_figures_updated.pdf. Accessed 30 October 2012.
- Kye SY (2012). Using the TTM to examine factors related to regular breast cancer screening. Korean Public Health Research, 38, 11-8.
- Kymberlee OB (2012). Healthy, wealthy, wise? Psychosocial factors influencing the socioeconomic status-health gradient. J Health Psychol, 17, 1142-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105311433345
- Lee CH, Kim HJ, Kim YI (2010). Factors affecting active early detection behaviors of breast cancer in outpatients. Korean J Women Health Nurs, 16, 126-36. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.2.126
- Lee SO, Sim ES, Ahn S (2010). Factors affecting periodic screening behaviors for breast cancer among hospital nurses. Korean J Women Health Nurs, 16, 390-8. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.4.390
- Leong SL, Madden C, Gray A, Horwath C (2012). Selfdetermined, autonomous regulation of eating behavior is related to lower body mass index in a nationwide survey of middle-aged women. J Acad Nutr Diet, 112, 1337-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2012.04.018
- Marmot M (2000). Social determinants of health: From observation to policy. Med J Aust, 172, 379-82.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2011). A guide for national cancer control program in 2011. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- National Cancer Information Center (2012). Prevention and screening for cancer http://www.cancer.go.kr/cms/index.html/. Accessed 24 Janyary 2013.
- Nourazarian AR, Kangar P, Salmaninejad A (2014). Roles of oxidative stress in the development and progression of breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4745-51. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4745
- Oh YH, Bae HO, Kim YS (2006). A study on physical and mental function affecting self-perceived health of older persons in Korea. J Korean Geriatr Soc, 26, 461-76.
- Park JD, Kang BS, Lee KS (2004). Factors related with screening behaviors of breast and cervical cancers among women in a rural area. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health, 8, 49-64.
- Pearson N, Timperio A, Salmon J, Crawford D, Biddle SJ (2009). Family influences on children's physical activity and fruit and vegetable consumption. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act, 6, 34. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-6-34
- Ryan RM (1982). Control and information in the intrapersonal sphere: An extension of cognitive evaluation theory. J Pers Soc Psychol, 43, 450-61. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.110
- Seo YM, Choi WH (2011). A predictive model on self care behavior for patients with type 2 diabetes: based on selfdetermination theory. J Korean Acad Nurs, 41, 491-9. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.491
- Spigner C, Yip MP, Huang B, Tu SP (2007). Chinese and Vietnamese adult male smokers' perspectives regarding facilitators of tobacco cessation behavior. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 429-35.
- Statistics Korea (2010). Economically active population. Seoul: Statistics Korea.
- US Preventive Services Task Force(1996). Developing evidencebased clinical practice guidelines. Annu Rev Public Health, 17, 511-38. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pu.17.050196.002455
- Yang YH (2012). Relationships between knowledge about early detection, cancer risk perception and cancer screening tests in the general public aged 40 and over. Asian Oncol Nurs, 12, 52-60. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.1.52
- Yi YJ (2006). A case-control study on risk factors of breast cancer in Korean women. J Breast Cancer, 9, 145-50. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2006.9.2.145