- Volume 15 Issue 23
DOI QR Code
Knowledge, Attitude and Practices of Technicians Working at Hospitals Towards Testicular Cancer and Self-examination of Testicles in Turkey
- Ozturk, Ahmet (Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University) ;
- Unalan, Demet (Erciyes University Halil Bayraktar Health Services Vocational College) ;
- Guleser, Gulsum Nihal (Department of Surgical Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, Erciyes University)
- Published : 2015.01.06
Background: The present study was conducted to determine knowledge level of technicians working in hospitals about testicular cancer (TC) and self-examination of testicles (TSE) and to determine levels of consciousness and implementation status about TSE. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted with technicians working in hospitals (n=243) between
- Albers P, Albrecht W, Algaba F, et al (2011). European association of urology. EAU guidelines on testicular cancer: 2011 update. Eur Urol, 60, 304-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2011.05.038
- Altinel B, Aydin Avci I (2013). The knowledge, beliefs and practises of university students on testicular cancer and testiculer self-examination. TAF Prev Med Bull, 12, 365-70.
- Asgar Pour H, Cam R (2014). Evaluation of men's knowledge, attitude and behavior about testicular self-examination and testicular cancer. Florence Nightingale J Nur, 22, 33-8. https://doi.org/10.17672/fnhd.59508
- Brewer G, Roy M, Watters J (2011). Testicular self-examination in an adult community sample. Am J Mens Health, 5, 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1177/1557988310361520
- Cancer Research UK (2014). Testicular cancer Key Facts.
- Gultekin M, Boztas G (2014). Turkey cancer statistics, TR Ministry of Health.
- Gocgeldi E, Kocak N, Ulus S, et al (2011). Investigation of the frequency of testicular self examination performance in young adult males. Gulhane Med J, 53,17-25
- Khadra A, Oakeshott P (2002). Pilot study of testicular cancer awarenes sand testicular self-examination in men attending two South London general practices. Fam Pract, 19, 294-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/19.3.294
- Kuzgunbay B, Yaycioglu O, Soyupak B, et al (2013). Public awareness of testicular cancerand self-examination in Turkey: a multi center study of Turkish urooncology society. Urologic Oncol, 31, 386-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2011.01.020
- Moore RA, Topping A (1999). Youngmen's knowledge of testicular cancer and testicular self-examination: a lost opportunity? Eur J Cancer Care, 8, 137-42.
- Muliira JK, Nalwanga PB, Muliira RS, et al (2012). Knowledge, perceived risk and barriers to testicular self-examination among male university students in Uganda. J Men's Health, 9, 36-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jomh.2011.11.004
- Ozbas A, Cavdar I, Findik UY, et al (2011). Inadequate knowledge levels of Turkish male university students about testicular self-examination. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 919-22.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Rudberg L, Nisson S, Wikblad K, et al (2005). Testicular cancer and testicular self-examination: knowledge and attitudes of adolescent Swedish men. Cancer Nurs, 28, 256-62.
- Shallwani K, Ramji R, Ali TS, Khuwaja AK (2010). Self examination for breast and testicular cancers: a communitybased intervention study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 383-6.
- Siegel R, Ma J, Zou Z, et al (2014). Cancer statistics, 2014. Ca Cancer J Clin, 64, 9-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21208
- Ugurlu Z, Akkuzu G, Karahan A, et al (2011). Testicular cancer awareness and testicular self-examination among university students. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 695-8.
- Verhoeven R (2012). Epidemiology of uncommon male genital cancers, Studies with regional, national and international cancer registry data. Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Yetisyigit T, Babacan N, Urun Y, et al (2014). Predictors of outcome in patients with advanced non-seminomatous germ cell testicular tumors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 831-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.831
- Yilmaz E, Koca Kutlu A, Cecen D (2009). The knowledge and behaviors school of health students related testicular cancer and testicular self examination. J Firat Health Services, 4, 72-85.
- Zhao JY, Ma XL, Li YY, et al (2014). Diagnostic accuracy of 18F-FDG-PET in patients with testicular cancer: a metaanalysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3525-31. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3525
- Znaor A, Lortet-Tieulent J, Jemal A, et al (2014). International variations and trends in testicular cancer incidence and mortality. Eur Urol, 65, 1095-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2013.11.004