- Volume 9 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Variation of Image Quality and Dose by Applying Multi-Leaf Collimator for Digital Mammography
디지털 유방촬영장치에서 다엽 조리개 적용으로 인한 화질과 선량의 변화
- Kwon, Soon Mu (Department of Radiologic Technology, Daegu Health College) ;
- Kim, Boo Soon (Department of Radiologic Technology, Daegu Health College) ;
- Park, Hyung Jun (Department of Material & Energy Engineering, Kyungwoon University) ;
- Kang, Yeong Han (Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Daegu Catholic University Hospital)
- Received : 2015.11.17
- Accepted : 2015.12.25
- Published : 2015.12.31
Collimator has important functions with control primary X-ray that decrease radiation exposure dose for patients and reduce scatter ray and make better quality of image. But there are no regulations for X-ray mammography device of collimator, so widely used device adopt rectangularly controlled collimator. Though digital X-ray mammography device expand supply recently, rectangularly controlled collimator of film/screen mode still used. After searching for real condition of beam field with digital mammography, we made a multi-leaf collimator which is able to adjust the beam field in accordance with size and shape of breast, and we measuring up the transitions of image quality, average glandular dose(AGD) and, Dose area product(DAP). There are no significant differences between rectangularly controlled collimator and multi-leaf collimator, and DAP value decreased by 50.72%. As conclusion, there needs to expand the use of multi-leaf collimator for optimum adoption of beam field in digital mammography, and also need to develop an automatic regulation of beam field for reduce of exposure dose to patients.
digital mammography;collimator;dose area product;radiation dose;image quality
- Recommended guidelines on patient dose in general radiography, Radiation Safety Management Series No. 30, 11-1470550-000299-01, Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs, Korea Food and Administration, 2012.
- The Korea Society of Medical Imaging Technology, "Textbook of radiographic positioning and clinical diagnosis", Chung-Gu Publisher. Korea, pp.717-720, 2013.
- J.H. Kim, D.W. Sung, J.W. Kim, J.H. Shin, S.K. Lee, K.I. Jung, H.J. Kim, "Nationwise survey of the X-ray beam collimator utilization in general diagnostic radiograph", Progress in Medical Physics, Vol. 24, No. 2, 2013.
- L.G. Zetterberg, A. Espeland, "Lumbar spine radiography-poor collimation practices after implementation of digital technology", The British journal of radiology, 2014.
- Korea Industrial Standard(KS A 4732)
- D.H. K, S.K. Choi, D.H. Kim, "The image quality according to target-filter combination in digital mammography", Journal of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2015.
- Recommended guidelines on patient dose in mammography, Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs, Korea Food and Administration, 2008.
- T.H. Kim, K.K. Oh, H.C. Shin, J.K. Kim, S.S. Choo, "Dosimetric evaluation of average glandular absorption radiation dose in mammography", Journal of the Korean Radiological Society, Vol. 35, No. 6, 1996.
- J.H. Choi, M.J. Jeon, Y.I. Kim, J.W. Choi, "A study on radiation dose in mammography", Journal of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, Vol. 4 No. I, 1981.
- G.H. Jo, Y.H Kang, B.S. Kim, "A Study on the Exposure Parameter and the Patient Dose for Digital Radiography System in Dae Goo", Journal of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
- C.J. Martin, "Optimisation in general radiography", Biomedical imaging and intervention journal, Vol. 3, No. 2, 2007.
- J.N. Johnstom, T.L. Fauber, "Essentials of radiographic physics and imaging", Elsevier Health Sciences, pp.79-103, 2012.
- S.K. Choi, "Change of the scattered dose by field size in X-ray radiography", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 13, No. 3, 2013.
- J.P. Kim, S.D. Baek, "X-ray imaging apparatus and its apparatus method", Patent No. 10-2014-0091998, Republic of Korea Intellectual Property Office.