- Volume 35 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Development and Application of STEAM Education Program based on Systems Thinking for High School Students
고등학생을 위한 시스템 사고 기반의 융합인재교육 프로그램 개발 및 적용 효과
- Received : 2015.07.20
- Accepted : 2015.12.28
- Published : 2015.12.31
In the 21st century, in a Knowledge-Based Information Society, systems thinking is a very important human resources skill in science and technology, which is required in STEAM education in order to understand and solve complex problems. The purposes of this study are: (1) to develop a STEAM education program based on systems thinking; (2) to investigate the effects of the program on students' systems thinking. The systems thinking-based STEAM education program was developed on the basis of 'ADBAS' model (Park & Lee, 2013), and focused on the theme of watermill. A total of 60 high school students participated in this study. The results of this study showed that quantitatively as well as qualitatively, systems thinking skills improved after the treatment. In conclusion, the program we developed in this study can contribute in improving high school students' systems thinking skills and creative problem-solving abilities. The findings of this study may provide useful insights into cultivating human resources with systems thinking skills and creative problem-solving abilities.
systems thinking;STEAM;high school student;watermill;ADBAS model
- President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology[PCAST] (2012). Report to the President - Engage to Excel: Producing One Million Additional College Graduates with Degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Retrieved August, 20, 2014, from http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/pcast-enga ge-to-excel-v11.pdf
- Ro, S.-W., & An, D.-S. (2012). A Study on Direction of Development in STEAM Education. The Journal of Educational Research, 10(3), 75-96.
- Senge, P. M. (1990). The fifth discipline. New York: Doubleday.
- Senge, P. M. (1996). The fifth discipline: Fieldbook. New York: Crown Business.
- Senge, P. M. (2012). Schools that learn(Updated and Revised): A fifth discipline fieldbook for education, parents, and everyone who cares about education. New York: Doubleday.
- Sohn, T.-W. (1995). Theoretical Backgrounds of Learning Organization and System Thinking. The Hanyang journal of economic studies, 16(2), 109-131.
- Wilson, A. (2002). Machines, Power and the Ancient Economy. The Journal of Roman Studies, 92, 1-32. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0075435800032135
- Ben-Zvi Assaraf, O., & Orion, N. (2005a). A study of junior high students' perceptions of the water cycle. Journal of Geoscience Educaion, 53(4), 366-373. https://doi.org/10.5408/1089-9995-53.4.366
- Ben-Zvi Assaraf, O., & Orion, N. (2005b). Development of system thinking skills in the context of earth system education. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 47(5), 540-563.
- Ben-Zvi Assaraf, O., & Orion, N. (2010a). Four case studies, six years later: Developing system thinking skills in junior high school and sustaining them over time. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 47(10), 1253-1280. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20383
- Ben-Zvi Assaraf, O., & Orion, N. (2010b). System thinking skills at the elementary school level. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 47(5), 540-563.
- Bertalanffy, L. (1968). General System Theory: foundations, development, applications. New York: George Braziller.
- Center for Educational Statistics. (2014). Korean Educational Statistics Service. Retrieved August, 18, 2014, from http://kess.kedi.re.kr/index
- Choi, Y., & Ryu, C. (2007). Analyzing Preceding Research on the Concepts and Elements of Technological Literacy. The Korean Journal of Technology Education, 7(2), 141-153.
- Dyrenfurth, M. J. (1987). International perspectives on technological literacy. Technological Literacy: The Roles of Practical Arts and Vocational Education, 291-956.
- Greene, K. (2000). Technological Innovation and Economic Progress in the Ancient World: M.I. Finley Re-Considered. The Economic History Review, 53(1), 29-59. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0289.00151
- Greiff, S., Holt, D. V., & Funke, J. (2013). Perspectives on problem solving in educational assessment: Analytical, interactive, and collaborative problem solving. Journal of Problem Solving, 5, 71-91.
- Han, K. H. (2004). Reinterpretation of the Crisis in Science-and-Technology Sector and Self-reflection of Engineers. Korean Journal of Sociology, 38(4), 73-99.
- Baker, D. R. (1988). Technological literacy: The essential criteria for a definition. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Oklahoma state University.
- Barnes, J. L. (1989). Producing a technologically literate citizen. Technological Literacy IV: Proceedings of the Fourth National Technological Literacy Conference, 315-316.
- Im, Y.-G., & Lee, H. (2014). Development and Analysis of Effects of Writing Educational Program for Improving System Thinking Ability. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 14(12), 407-427.
- Jeon, J. (2014). The Development and Application of STEAM Education Program based on Systems Thinking for the High School Students. Unpublished master's thesis. Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea.
- Jung, J., & Kim, Y. (2014). A Study on Elementary Students' Perceptions of Science, Engineering, and Technology and on the Images of Scientists, Engineers, and Technicians. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 34(8), 719-730. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.8.0719
- Kali, Y., Orion, N., & Eylon, S. B. (2003). Effect of knowledge integration activities on students' perception of the Earth's crust as a cyclic system. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 40(6), 545-556. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10096
- Kim, D.-H. (2005). Introspective Reflection on Applying Systems Thinking: Toward an Incremental Systems Thinking. Journal of Governmental Studies, 11(2), 63-85.
- Kim, H., Park, S., & Kim, Y. (2012). A Comparative study of Middle School Students' Images and Perceptions of Scientist, Technician and Engineer. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education. 32(1), 64-81. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.1.064
- Kim, J. (2007). Exploration of STEM Education as a New Integrated Education for Technology Education. The Korean Journal of Technology Education, 7(3), 1-29.
- Kim, J. K. (2006). A Study on a Teaching Method for the Development of Students' Essay Writing Abilities. Unpublished master's thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, J.-S., Kim, Y.-M., Kim, H.-J., & Lee, C.-H. (2013). Analysis of Elementary School Students' Perception and image of Engineers, Scientists and Technicians. The Korean Journal of Technology Education, 13(1), 67-92.
- Kim, M., & Kim, B. (2002). A Comparative Study of the Trends of Current Science Education and the System Thinking Paradigm. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 22(1), 64-75.
- Kim, T.-Y. (2001). The crisis of science and engineering disciplines. Retrieved August, 1, 2014, from http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode= LSD&mid=sec&sid1=110&oid=005&aid=0000064499
- Kwon, Y.-J., Kim, W.-J., Lee, H., Byun, J.-H., & Lee, I.-S. (2011). Analysis of Biology Teachers' Systems Thinking about Ecosystem. BIOLOGY EDUCATION, 39(4), 529-543. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2011.39.4.529
- Lee, C.-S. (1992). A Study on the Characteristics of Technologically Literate Poeple through Technology Education. The Journal of Vocational Education Research, 11(1), 79-90.
- Lee, H., & Kim, S.-H. (2009). The Recognition Characteristics of Science Gifted Students on the Earth System based on their Thinking Style. Journal of Science Education, 33(1), 12-30. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2009.33.1.12
- Lee, H., & Lee, H. (2013). Revalidation of Measuring Instrument Systems Thinking and Comparison of Systems Thinking between Science and General High School Students. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 33(6), 301-326.
- Lee, H., & Park, K. (2010). Elementary School Students' Images of Scientists and Engineers. Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, 16(4), 61-82. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2010.16.4.61
- Lee, H., Kwon, H., Park, K., & Lee, H. (2013). An Instrument Development and Validation for Measuring High School Students' Systems Thinking. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 33(5), 955-1006.
- Lee, H., Kwon, H., Park, K., & Oh, H.-J.(2014). Development and Application of Integrative STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Education Model Based on Scientific Inquiry. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 34(2), 63-78. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.2.0063
- Lee, H., Kwon, Y., Oh, H.-J., & Lee, H.-D. (2011). Development and Application of the Educational Program to Increase High School Students' Systems Thinking Skills - Focus on Global Warming -. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 32(7), 784-797. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2011.32.7.784
- Lee, H., Park, K. S., Kwon, H. S., & Seo, B. (2013). Development and Implementation of Engineering Design and Scientific Inquiry-based STEM Education Program. Korean Journal of Teacher Education, 29(3), 301-326.
- Lee, J.-H. (2012). A Study on the Utilization of System Dynamics for STEAM Education. 2012 The Korean Association of Computer Education Conference, 16(1), 143-147.
- Lucas, A. R. (2005). Industrial Milling in the Ancient and Medieval Worlds: A Survey of the Evidence for an Industrial Revolution in Medieval Europe. Technology and Culture, 46(1), 1-30. https://doi.org/10.1353/tech.2005.0026
- Mayer, V. J., & Kumano, Y. (1999). The role of system science in future school science curricula. Studies in Science Education, 34, 71-97. https://doi.org/10.1080/03057269908560149
- Meadows, D. H. (2008). Thinking in systems. Washington, DC: Chelsea green.
- Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development. (2007). 2007 Revised national science curriculum. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Ministry of Education, Science and 1.Technology. (2012a). Science Curriculum. Notification No. 2011-361 of the MEST. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. (2012b). The 2nd national plan for fostering science-technology human resources. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Ministry of Education. (2013). STEAM education. Ministry of Education. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Moon, B.-C., Jeong, J.-W., Kyung, J.-B., Hoj, T.-K., Youn, S.-T., Kim, H.-G., & Oh, K.-H. (2004). Related Conceptions to Earth System and Applying of systems Thinking about Carbon Cycle of the Preservice Teachers. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 25(8), 684-696.
- Morton, W. S., & Lewis, C. M. (2005). China: Its History and Cultur(4th Ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- O'Connor, J., & McDermott, I. (1997). The art of systems thinking: Essential skills for creativity and problem solving. London: Thorsons.
- Park, B.-Y., & Lee, H. (2014). Development and Application of Systems Thinking-based STEAM Education Program to Improve Secondary Science Gifted and Talented Students' Systems Thinking Skill. Journal of Gifted/Talented Education, 24(3), 421-444. https://doi.org/10.9722/JGTE.2014.24.3.421
- Effects of Systems Thinking on High School Students’ Science Self-Efficacy vol.37, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2016.37.3.173
Supported by : 한국연구재단