- Volume 32 Issue 4
This paper models knowledge diffusion on an inter-organizational network. Based on literatures related to knowledge diffusion, the model considers critical factors that affect diffusion behavior including nodal property, relational property, and environmental property. We examine the relationships among network structure, knowledge search, and diffusion performance. Through a massive simulation runs based on the agent-based model, we find that the average path length of a network decreases a firm's cumulative knowledge stock, whereas the clustering coefficient of a firm has no significant relationship with the firm's knowledge. We also find that there is an interaction effect of network structure and the range of knowledge search on knowledge diffusion. Specifically, in a network of a larger average path length (APL) the marginal effect of search conduct is significantly greater than in that of a smaller APL.
Knowledge Diffusion;Network Structure;Knowledge Search;Agent-Based Modeling and Simulation
- 박철순, "지식 네트워크에서 지식 전파 행위자 모형 : 지식의 암묵성이 지식 전파에 미치는 영향을 중심으로", 한국생산관리학회지, 제25권, 제4호(2014), pp.293-318.
- 이건창, 한민희, 서영욱, "탐색 및 활용을 통한 컴퓨터 매개 커뮤니케이션의 팀 창의성에 관한 연구", 경영과학, 제28권, 제1호(2011), pp.91-105.
- 정재훤, 양성병, 김영걸, "온라인 지식네트워크내에서의 지식기여 및 지식활용 활동에 영향을 미치는 요인", 한국경영과학회지, 제34권, 제3호(2009), pp.1-27.
- Afuah, A., "Are Network Effects Really All About Size? The Role of Structure and Conduct," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.34, No.3(2013), pp.257-273. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2013
- Afuah, A. and C.L. Tucci, "Crowdsourcing as a Solution to Distant Search," Academy of Management Review, Vol.37, No.3(2012), pp.355-375. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2010.0146
- Anjos, F. and R. Reagans, "Commitment, Learning, and Alliance Performance : A Formal Analysis Using an Agent-Based Network Formation Model," The Journal of Mathematical Sociology, Vol.37, No.1(2013), pp.1-23. https://doi.org/10.1080/0022250X.2012.724600
- Argote, L., B. Mcevily, and R. Reagans, "Managing Knowledge in Organizations : An Integrative Framework and Review of Emerging Themes," Management Science, Vol.49, No.4(2003), pp.571-582. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.4.571.14424
- Barabasi, A.-L. and R. Albert, "Emergence of Scaling in Random Networks," Science, Vol. 286, No.5439(1999), pp.509-512. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.286.5439.509
- Baum, J.A.C., R. Cowan, and N. Jonard, "Does Evidence of Network Effects on Firm Performance in Pooled Cross-Section Support Prescriptions for Network Strategy?," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.35, No.5(2014), pp.652-667. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2133
- Bellamy, M.A., S. Ghosh, and M. Hora, "The Influence of Supply Network Structure on Firm Innovation," Journal of Operations Management, Vol.32, No.6(2014), pp.357-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2014.06.004
- Burt, R.S., Structural Holes : The Social Structure of Competition, Harvard University Press, 1992.
- Burt, R.S., "Structural Holes and Good Ideas," American Journal of Sociology, Vol.110, No.2(2004), pp.349-399. https://doi.org/10.1086/421787
- Carpenter, M.A., M. Li, and H. Jiang, "Social Network Research in Organizational Contexts : A Systematic Review of Methodological Issues and Choices," Journal of Management, Vol.38, No.4(2012), pp.1328-1361.
- Cohen, J., P. Cohen, S.G. West, and L.S. Aiken, Applied Multiple Regression/Correlation Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Routledge, 2002.
- Cohen, W.M. and D.A. Levinthal, "Absorptive Capacity : A New Perspective on Learning and Innovation," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.35, No.1(1990), pp.128-152. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393553
- Coleman, J.S., "Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital," American Journal of Sociology, Vol.94(1988), pp.S95-S120. https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- Contractor, N.S. and P.R. Monge, "Managing Knowledge Networks," Management Communication Quarterly, Vol.16, No.2(2002), pp.249-258. https://doi.org/10.1177/089331802237238
- Cowan, R. and N. Jonard, "Network Structure and the Diffusion of Knowledge," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol.28, No.8(2004), pp.1557-1575. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jedc.2003.04.002
- Cummings, J.L. and B.-S. Teng, "Transferring R&D Knowledge : The Key Factors Affecting Knowledge Transfer Success," Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, Vol.20, No.1-2(2003), pp.39-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0923-4748(03)00004-3
- Dyer, J.H. and K. Nobeoka, "Creating and Managing a High-Performance Knowledge-Sharing Network : The Toyota Case," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.21, No.3(2000), pp.345-367. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<345::AID-SMJ96>3.0.CO;2-N
- Epple, D., L. Argote, and R. Devadas, "Organizational Learning Curves : A Method for Investigating Intra-Plant Transfer of Knowledge Acquired through Learning by Doing," Organization Science, Vol.2, No.1(1991), pp.58-70. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.58
- Erdos, P. and A. Renyi, "On Random Graphs," Publicationes Mathematicae Debrecen, Vol.6, (1959), pp.290-297.
- Erickson, B.H. and T.A. Nosanchuk, "Applied Network Sampling," Social Networks, Vol.5, No.4(1983), pp.367-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8733(83)90008-4
- Fang, C., J. Lee, and M.A. Schilling, "Balancing Exploration and Exploitation through Structural Design : The Isolation of Subgroups and Organizational Learning," Organization Science, Vol.21, No.3(2010), pp.625-642. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1090.0468
- Gilsing, V., B. Nooteboom, W. Vanhaverbeke, G. Duysters, and A. Van Den Oord, "Network Embeddedness and the Exploration of Novel Technologies : Technological Distance, Betweenness Centrality and Density," Research Policy, Vol.37, No.10(2008), pp.1717-1731. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2008.08.010
- Granovetter, M., "Economic Action and Social Structure : The Problem of Embeddedness," American Journal of Sociology, Vol.91, No.3(1985), pp.481-510. https://doi.org/10.1086/228311
- Grant, R.M., "Toward a Knowledge-Based Theory of the Firm," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.17, No.S2(1996), pp.109-122. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199602)17:2<109::AID-SMJ796>3.3.CO;2-G
- Gulati, R., N. Nohria, and A. Zaheer, "Strategic Networks," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.21, No.3(2000), pp.203-215. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<203::AID-SMJ102>3.0.CO;2-K
- Hair, J., W. Black, B. Babin, and R. Anderson, Multivariate Data Analysis, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2010.
- Hansen, M.T., M.L. Mors, and B. Lovas, "Knowledge Sharing in Organizations : Multiple Networks, Multiple Phases," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.48, No.5(2005), pp.776-793. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2005.18803922
- Huber, G., "Organizational Learning : The Contributing Processes and the Literatures," Organization Science, Vol.2, No.1(1991), pp.88-115. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.88
- Kim, H. and Y. Park, "Structural Effects of R&D Collaboration Network on Knowledge Diffusion Performance," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.36, No.5(2009), pp.8986-8992. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2008.11.039
- Kim, Y., Y.-S. Chen, and K. Linderman, "Supply Network Disruption and Resilience : A Network Structural Perspective," Journal of Operations Management, Vol.33-340(2015), pp.43-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2014.10.006
- Kogut, B. and U. Zander, "What Firms Do? Coordination, Identity, and Learning," Organization Science, Vol.7, No.5(1996), pp.502-518. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.5.502
- Lavie, D., U. Stettner, and M.L. Tushman, "Exploration and Exploitation within and across Organizations," The Academy of Management Annals, Vol.4, No.1(2010), pp.109-155. https://doi.org/10.1080/19416521003691287
- Lazer, D. and A. Friedman, "The Network Structure of Exploration and Exploitation," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.52, No.4(2007), pp.667-694. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.52.4.667
- Lee, K., S. Kim, C.O. Kim, and T. Park, "An Agent-Based Competitive Product Diffusion Model for the Estimation and Sensitivity Analysis of Social Network Structure and Purchase Time Distribution," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Vol.16, No.1(2013), p.3.
- Macal, C.M. and M.J. North, "Tutorial on Agent-Based Modelling and Simulation," Journal of Simulation, Vol.4, No.3(2010), pp.151-162. https://doi.org/10.1057/jos.2010.3
- March, J., "Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning," Organization Science, Vol.2, No.1(1991), pp.71-87. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.71
- Milgram, S., "The Small World Problem," Psychology today, Vol.2, No.1(1967), pp.60-67.
- Nair, A. and J.M. Vidal, "Supply Network Topology and Robustness against Disruptionsan Investigation Using Multi-Agent Model," International Journal of Production Research, Vol.49, No.5(2011), pp.1391-1404. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2010.518744
- Nelson, R.R. and S.G. Winter, An Evolutionary Theory of Economic Change, Harvard University Press, 1982.
- Nonaka, I., "The Knowledge-Creating Company," Harvard Business Review, Vol.69, No.6(1991), pp.96-104.
- Nonaka, I., R. Toyama, and A. Nagata, "A Firm as a Knowledge-Creating Entity : A New Perspective on the Theory of the Firm," Industrial and Corporate Change, Vol.9, No.1(2000), pp.1-20. https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/9.1.1
- Phelps, C., R. Heidl, and A. Wadhwa, "Knowledge, Networks, and Knowledge Networks : A Review and Research Agenda," Journal of Management, Vol.38, No.4(2012), pp.1115-1166.
- Phelps, C.C., "A Longitudinal Study of the Influence of Alliance Network Structure and Composition on Firm Exploratory Innovation," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.53, No.4(2010), pp.890-913. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2010.52814627
- Railsback, S.F. and V. Grimm, Agent-Based and Individual-Based Modeling : A Practical Introduction, Princeton University Press, 2011.
- Rand, W. and R.T. Rust, "Agent-Based Modeling in Marketing : Guidelines for Rigor," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.28, No.3(2011), pp.181-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2011.04.002
- Reagans, R. and B. Mcevily, "Network Structure and Knowledge Transfer : The Effects of Cohesion and Range," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.48, No.2(2003), pp.240-267. https://doi.org/10.2307/3556658
- Reagans, R. and E.W. Zuckerman, "Networks, Diversity, and Productivity : The Social Capital of Corporate R&D Teams," Organization Science, Vol.12, No.4(2001), pp.502-517. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.12.4.502.10637
- Rodan, S. and C. Galunic, "More Than Network Structure : How Knowledge Heterogeneity Influences Managerial Performance and Innovativeness," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.25, No.6(2004), pp.541-562. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.398
- Rosenkopf, L. and P. Almeida, "Overcoming Local Search through Alliances and Mobility," Management Science, Vol.49, No.6(2003), pp.751-766. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.6.751.16026
- Sasidharan, S., R. Santhanam, D.J. Brass, and V. Sambamurthy, "The Effects of Social Network Structure on Enterprise Systems Success : A Longitudinal Multilevel Analysis," Information Systems Research, Vol.23, No.3-part-1(2012), pp.658-678. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1110.0388
- Schilling, M.A. and C. Fang, "When Hubs Forget, Lie, and Play Favorites : Interpersonal Network Structure, Information Distortion, and Organizational Learning," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.35, No.7(2014), pp.974-994. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2142
- Schilling, M.A. and C.C. Phelps, "Interfirm Collaboration Networks : The Impact of Large-Scale Network Structure on Firm Innovation," Management Science, Vol.53, No.7(2007), pp.1113-1126. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0624
- Schoonhoven, C.B., K.M. Eisenhardt, and K. Lyman, "Speeding Products to Market : Waiting Time to First Product Introduction in New Firms," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.35, No.1(1990), pp.177-207. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393555
- Tsai, W., "Knowledge Transfer in Intraorganizational Networks : Effects of Network Position and Absorptive Capacity on Business Unit Innovation and Performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.44, No.5(2001), pp.996-1004. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069443
- Tushman, M.L. and C.A. O'reilly Iii, "Ambidextrous Organizations : Managing Evolutionary and Revolutionary Change," California Management Review, Vol.38, No.4(1996), pp.8-30.
- Watts, D.J. and S.H. Strogatz, "Collective Dynamics of 'Small-World' Networks," Nature, Vol.393, No.6684(1998), pp.440-442. https://doi.org/10.1038/30918
- Wilensky, U., NetLogo, Center for Connected Learning and Computer-Based Modeling, Northwestern University, 1999.
- Zander, U. and B. Kogut, "Knowledge and the Speed of the Transfer and Imitation of Organizational Capabilities : An Empirical Test," Organization Science, Vol.6, No.1(1995), pp.76-92. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.6.1.76
Supported by : 숙명여자대학교