- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effects of Emotional Labor on Counterproductive Work Behavior: Mediated by Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment
감정노동이 반생산적 과업행동에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구: 직무만족과 조직몰입을 매개로
- Han, Na-Young (Dept. of Internet-Business, Kosin University) ;
- Bae, Sang-Wook (Dept. of Business Administration, Pukyong University)
- Received : 2015.08.17
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
This research conducted a survey of the workers in medical institutions and carried out empirical analysis through covariance structure equation modelling in order to examine the relationship among emotional labor, job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and counterproductive work behaviors of medical institution workers. The results of the empirical analysis are as follows; First, the frequency of emotional expression, one of the dimensions of emotional labor, did not have a positive influence on job satisfaction, but both the degree of emotional expression attentiveness and emotional dissonance had a negatively significant effect on job satisfaction. Second, job satisfaction had a positively significant effect on organizational commitment. Third, organizational commitment had a negatively significant effect on counterproductive work behaviors toward both individuals and organizations. This research result shows that it is necessary to pay attention to drawing a plan to reduce emotional labor that workers in medical institutions experience since emotional labor causes them to get negative results while they are performing their duties.
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Hochschild, A. R., The Managed Heart: Commercialization of Human Feeling, Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1983.
- Morris, J. A. and D. C. Feldman, "The Dimensions, Antecedents and Consequences of Emotional Labor", Academy of Management Review, Vol.21, pp.986-1010, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1996.9704071861 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1996.9704071861
- Muoung-Suck Joung, Kwang-Jum Kim, "A Study on the Effect of Emotional Labor and Leader's Emotional Intelligence on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment for Nurses", Korean Society of Hospital Management, Vol.11, No.4, pp.1-18, 2006.
- Sung Jae, Hwang, Yun-Jeong Baek, Bo-Young Kim, "Relationship Between Job-related Affective States and Job Attitudes: Mediating Effects of Emotional Labor", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.15, No.8, pp.4930-4941, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.4930 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.4930
- Tae-Mo Ryu, Hee-Kyung We, Hyun-Woo Jung, "An Empirical Study on the Effect of Emotional Labor on Job Satisfaction: The Moderating Effects of Emotional Leadership and Empowerment", Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.21, No.3, pp.435-460, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2014.21.3.435 https://doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2014.21.3.435
- Hochschild, A. R., "Emotion Work, Feeling Rules and Social Structure", American Journal of Sociology, Vol.85, pp.551-575, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/227049 https://doi.org/10.1086/227049
- Ashforth, B. E. and R. H. Humphrey, "Emotional Labor in Service Roles: The Influence of Identity", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.18, No.1, pp.88-115, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/amr.1993.3997508 https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1993.3997508
- Jeong-Im, Choe, A Study on the Influence of Emotional Labor on Job Performance: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Social Support, The Graduate School Korea National University Transportation Doctoral thesis, 2014.
- Ryan, R. M. and E. L. Deci, "Self-Determination Theory and the Facilitation of Intrinsic Motivation Social Development, and Well-Being", American Psychologist, Vol.55, pp.68-78, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.68 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.68
- Diefendorff, J. M. and E. M. Richard, "Antecedents and Consequences of Emotional Display Rule Perceptions", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.88, pp.284-294, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.2.284 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.2.284
- Jae-Won Yoo, Won-Jun Kwak, Ho-Chul Shin, "The Antecedents and Consequences of Service Employee's Emotional Labor", Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.21, No.2, pp.49-64, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2014.21.2.49 https://doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2014.21.2.49
- Tae-Su Park, "The Effects of Hotel Employee's Self-Esteem and Job Satisfaction on Service Delivery Level", Korea Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol.19, No3, pp.303-314, 2005.
- Yong-Ju Jeong, "A Comparative Study on Job Satisfaction of Regular and Irregular Employees at Hotel, Journal of Tourism Management Research, Vol.25, No.0, pp.435-456, 2005.
- Young-Ki Park, "The Effect of Outsourcing Employee's Recognition of Working Environment on the Job Satisfaction and Organization Commitment in Hotel Industry", Journal of Tourism Research, Vol.22, No.1, pp.21-35, 2007.
- Ho-Seok Ko, Jae-Kyung Oh, "The Effects of Hotel Employees' among Organizational Climate on Empowerment, Job Satisfaction and Organization Commitment", The Aviation Management Society of Korea, Vol.7, No.2, pp.17-32, 2009.
- Ke-Yung Ji, "The Influence of the Job Motivation and LMX of Hotel F&B Dept. Employees on the Job Satisfaction and the Organizational Commitment", Korean Journal of Hotel Administration, Vol.18, No.2, pp.77-94, 2009.
- Sun-Bai Cho, Seok-Young Kim, Seung-Hwan Jeong, "The Effect of Hotel & Restaurant Employee's Job Characteristics on the Group Cohesiveness, Job Satisfaction, and Job Commitment", Korean Journal of Hotel Administration, Vol.18, No.4, pp.201-215, 2009.
- Sackett, D. L., "The Arrogance of Preventive Medicine", Canadian Medical Association Journal, Vol.167, No.4, pp.363-364, 2002.
- Robinson, S. L., and R. J. Bennett, "A Typology of Deviant Workplace Behaviors: A Multidimensional Scaling Study", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.38, pp.555-572, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/256693 https://doi.org/10.2307/256693
- Baron, R. A. and J. H. Neuman, "Workplace Violence and Workplace Aggression: Evidence on their Relative Frequency and Potential Causes", Aggressive Behavior, Vol.2, pp.161-173, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2337(1996)22:3<161::AID-AB1>3.3.CO;2-2 https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2337(1996)22:3<161::AID-AB1>3.3.CO;2-2
- Tae-Hee Kim, Kyung-Ro Chang, "Relationship between Organizational Citizenship Behaviors and Attitudinal Variables of Employees in Sport Organizations", Korean Journal of Sport Science, Vol.15, No.4, pp.155-171, 2004.
- Sang-Uook Park, "The Study of Casual Relationship among Transactional, Transformational Leadership, Job Commitment and Organizational Citizenship Behavior of Workers in Public Sports Organizations", The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol.45, No.3, pp.251-264, 2006.
- Dalal, R. S., "A Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Counterproductive Work Behavior", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.90, pp.1241-1255, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.6.1241 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.6.1241
- Yong-Jun Choi, A Study on the Relationships among Conflict, Job Affect, and Counterproductive Work Behavior, The Graduate School Seoul National University, Doctoral thesis, 2008.
- Curry, J. P., D. S. Wakefield, J. L. Price and C. W. Muller, "On the Causal Ordering of Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment, Academy of Management Journal, Vol.29, pp.847-858, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/255951 https://doi.org/10.2307/255951
- Meyer, J. P., "The Measurement and Antecedents of Affective, Continuance and Normative Commitment to the Organization", Journal of Occupational Psychology, Vol.63, pp.1-18, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x
- Bennett, R. J., and S. L. Robinson, "Development of Measure of Workplace Deviance", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.85, pp.349-360, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.3.349 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.3.349
- Fornell, C. and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.48, pp.39-50, 1981. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3151312 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Tae-Heon Gu, A Study of the Effects of Civil Servant's Emotional Labor affecting Job Satisfaction: Focused on Civil Servant in Gyeongsangbuk-do, The Graduate School Kyungpook National University, Master's Thesis, 2014.