- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Posterior Preference Articulation Method to the Weighted Mean Squared Error Minimization Approach in Multi-Response Surface Optimization
다중반응표면 최적화에서 가중평균제곱오차 최소화법을 위한 선호도사후제시법
- Jeong, In-Jun (Department of Business Administration, Daegu University)
- 정인준 (대구대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2015.07.08
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
Multi-Response Surface Optimization aims at finding the optimal setting of input variables considering multiple responses simultaneously. The Weighted Mean Squared Error (WMSE) minimization approach, which imposes a different weight on the two components of mean squared error, squared bias and variance, first obtains WMSE for each response and then minimizes all the WMSEs at once. Most of the methods proposed for the WMSE minimization approach to date are classified into the prior preference articulation approach, which requires that a decision maker (DM) provides his/her preference information a priori. However, it is quite difficult for the DM to provide such information in advance, because he/she cannot experience the relationships or conflicts among the responses. To overcome this limitation, this paper proposes a posterior preference articulation method to the WMSE minimization approach. The proposed method first generates all (or most) of the nondominated solutions without the DM's preference information. Then, the DM selects the best one from the set of nondominated solutions a posteriori. Its advantage is that it provides an opportunity for the DM to understand the tradeoffs in the entire set of nondominated solutions and effectively obtains the most preferred solution suitable for his/her preference structure.
Supported by : 대구대학교
- Myers, R. H. and Montgomery, D. C., Response Surface Methodology (2nd ed.), John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 2002.
- Khuri, A. I., "Multiresponse Surface Methodology", In Handbook of Statistics: Design and Analysis of Experiment (Vol. 13) (eds. A. Ghosh and C. R. Rao), pp. 377-406, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0169-7161(96)13014-5
- Jeong, I. "Multiresponse Optimization: A Literature Review and Research Opportunities", Journal of the Korean Society for Quality Management, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 377-390, 2011.
- Koksoy, O., "Multiresponse Robust Design: Mean Square Error (MSE) Criterion", Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 175, No. 2, pp. 1716-1729, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2005.09.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2005.09.016
- Koksoy, O. and Yalcinoz, T., "Mean Square Error Criteria to Multiresponse Process Optimization by a New Genetic Algorithm", Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 175, No. 2, pp. 1657-1674, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2005.09.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2005.09.011
- Rheem, S. and Lee, W. "Multiresponse Optimization in Response Surface Analysis: A Method by Minimization of Weighted Sum of Estimates of Expected Squared Relative Errors", Journal of the Korean Society for Quality Management, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 73-82, 2004.
- Koksoy, O., "A Nonlinear Programming Solution to Robust Multi-Response Quality Problem", Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 196, No. 2, pp. 603-612, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1008314306344 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2007.06.023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2007.06.023
- Shin, S., Samanlioglu, F., Cho, B. B., and Wiecek, M. M., "Computing Trade-Offs in Robust Design: Perspectives of the Mean Squared Error", Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 248-255, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2010.11.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2010.11.006
- Jeong, I. and Cho, H., "A Weighted Mean Squared Error Approach to Multiple Response Surface Optimization", Journal of The Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 625-633, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.2.625 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.2.625
- Jeong, I., "A Weighted Mean Squared Error Approach Based on the Tchebycheff Metric in Multiresponse Optimization", Journal of The Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 97-105, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.97 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.97
- Ding, R., Lin, D. K. J., and Wei, D., "Dual Response Surface Optimization: A Weighted MSE Approach", Quality Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 377-385, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1081/QEN-120027940 https://doi.org/10.1081/QEN-120027940
- Jeong, I., Kim, K., and Chang, S. Y., "Optimal Weighting of Bias and Variance in Dual Response Surface Optimization", Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 236-247, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224065.2005.11980324
- Jeong, I., Kim, K., and Lin, D., "Bayesian Analysis for Weighted Mean Squared Error in Dual Response Surface Optimization", Quality and Reliability Engineering International, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 417-430, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/qre.1058 https://doi.org/10.1002/qre.1058
- Lee, D. and Kim, K., "Interactive Weighting of Bias and Variance in Dual Response Surface Optimization", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 39, No. 5, pp. 5900-5906, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.11.114 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.11.114
- Steuer, R. E., Multiple Criteria Optimization: Theory, Computation, and Application, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1986.
- Hwang, C., Masud, A. S. M., Paidy., S. R., and Yoon, K., Multiple Objective Decision Making. Methods and Applications (Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems), Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-45511-7
- Tind, J. and Wiecek, M. M., "Augmented Lagrangian and Tchebycheff Approaches in Multiple Objective Programming", Journal of Global Optimization, Vol. 14, pp. 251-266, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008314306344
- Miettinen, K., "Some Methods for Nonlinear Multi-Objective Optimization." Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1993, pp. 1-20, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/3-540-44719-9_1 https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-44719-9_1
- Haimes, Y. Y., Lasdon, L. S., and Wismer, D. A., "On a Bicriterion Formulation of the Problems of Integrated System Identification and System Optimization", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 296-297, 1971. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.1971.4308298 https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.1971.4308298
- Lee, D., Jeong, I., and Kim, K. "A Posterior Preference Articulation Approach to Dual-Response-Surface Optimization", IIE Transactions, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 161-171, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07408170903228959 https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170903228959
- Lee, D., Kim, K., and Kosalan, M., "A Posterior Preference Articulation Approach to Multiresponse Surface Optimization", European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 210, No. pp. 301-309, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2010.09.032
- Kosalan, M. and Sagala, P. N. S., "Interactive Approaches for Discrete Alternative Multiple Criteria Decision Making with Monotone Utility Functions", Management Science, Vol. 41, No. 7, pp. 1158-1171, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.41.7.1158 https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.41.7.1158
- Romano, D., Varetto, M., and Vicario, G., "Multiresponse Robust Design: A General Framework Based on Combined Array", Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 27-37, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224065.2004.11980250
- Jeong, I. "An Iterative Posterior Preference Articulation Approach to Dual Response Surface Optimization", Journal of the Korean Society for Quality Management, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 481-496, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7469/JKSQM.2012.40.4.481 https://doi.org/10.7469/JKSQM.2012.40.4.481