- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Study of Physical Activities and Nutrient Intakes of Adults with metabolically healthy obesity and those with metabolically unhealthy obesity
대사적으로 건강한 비만 성인과 대사적으로 불건강한 비만 성인의 신체활동 및 영양소 섭취량에 관한 연구
- Han, Jeong-Won (College of Nursing, Kosin University)
- 한정원 (고신대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2015.06.06
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study divides subjects into people with metabolically healthy obesity and those with metabolically unhealthy obesity to identify the physical activities and nutrients influencing adults with obesity. Participants in the sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey conducted from January through December 2013 were selected as the subjects, and an analysis of complex survey samples was conducted with them. It was found that the number of days of a flexibility exercise (Odds ratio (OR)=1.18, 95% confidence interval (95% CI)=1.01-1.38), water intake (OR=1.04, 95% CI=1.01-1.06) and protein intake (OR=1.07, 95% CI=1.02-1.13) for one week were higher in people with metabolically healthy obesity than in those with metabolically unhealthy obesity, while their fat intake (OR=0.99, 95% CI=0.98-1.00)and carbohydrate intake (OR=0.98, 95% CI=0.97-0.99) were lower. Based on the results of this study, it was found that nursing intervention for obesity would need an approach according to the metabolic condition of obesity.
Supported by : 고신대학교
- World Health Organization: Regional Office Europe. Obesity [Internet]. [cited 2015 Apr 6], Available From: http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases/obesity/obesity. (accessed Apr., 30, 2015)
- S. Y. Kim, S. W. Choi, "Causes of rising obesity rate in Korea: An economics perspective." Korea Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy. 39(2), pp. 320-348. 2012.
- D. K. Sung, Y. A. Sung, "Special review: Obesity: Introduction." Korean Journal of Medicine. 84(5), pp. 619-623. 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2013.84.5.619 https://doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2013.84.5.619
- B. Rokholm, J. L. Baker, T. I. A. Sorensen, "The levelling off of the obesity epidemic since the year 1999 -A review of evidence and perspectives." Obesity Reviews. 11(12), pp. 835-846. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2010.00810.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2010.00810.x
- S. W. Oh, J. W. Im, J. W. Lee, K. W. Kim, J. K. Choi, S. M. Park, T. W. Yoo, "What are th characteristics of obese adults without metabolic complications?." Journal of Korean Academy Family Medicine. 27(9), pp. 733-740. 2006.
- A. D. Karelis, V. Messier, M. Brochu, R. Rabasa-Lhoret, "Metabolically healthy but obese women: effect of an energy-restricted diet." Diabetologia. 51(9), pp. 1752-1754. 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00125-008-1038-4 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-008-1038-4
- J. B. Meigs, P. W. Wilson, C. S. Fox, R. S. Vasan, D. M. Nathan, L. M. Sullivan, R. B. D'Agostino R. B, "Body mass index, metabolic syndrome, and risk of type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular disease." The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 91(8), pp. 2906-2912. 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-0594 https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-0594
- R. P. Wildman, P. Muntner, K. Reynolds, A. P. McGinn, S. Rajpathak, J. Wylie-Rosett, M. R. Sowers, "The obese without cardiometabolic risk factor clustering and the normal weight with cardiometabolic risk factor clustering: prevalence and correlates of 2 phenotypes among the US population (NHANES 1999-2004)." Archives of Internal Medicine. 168(15), pp. 1617-1624. 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archinte.168.15.1617 https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.168.15.1617
- K. Lee, "Metabolically obese but normal weight (MONW) and metabolically healthy but obese (MHO) phenotypes in Koreans: characteristics and health behaviors." Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 18(2), pp. 280-284. 2009.
- H. K. Yang, S. H. Lee, "The definition of metabolically healthy obesity." The Journal of Korean Diabetes. 15(1), pp. 17-20. 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4093/jkd.2014.15.1.17 https://doi.org/10.4093/jkd.2014.15.1.17
- M. J. Shin, Y. J. Hyun, O. Y. Kim, J. Y. Kim, Y. Jang, J. H. Lee, "Weight loss effect on inflammation and LDL oxidation in metabolically healthy but obese (MHO individuals: low inflammation and LDL oxidation in MHO women." International Journal of Obesity,. 30(10), pp. 1529-1534. 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803304 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803304
- Y. Matsuzawa, "Pathophysiology and molecular mechanisms of visceral fat syndrome: The Japanese experience." Diabetes/Metabolism Reviews. 13(1), pp. 3-13. 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0895(199703)13:1<3::AID-DMR178>3.0.CO;2-N https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0895(199703)13:1<3::AID-DMR178>3.0.CO;2-N
- C. L. Jennings, E. V. Lambert, M. Collins, Y. Joffe, N. S. Levitt, J. H. Goedecke, "Determinants of insulinresistant phenotypes in normal-weight and obese Black African women." Obesity. 16(7), pp. 1602-1609. 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/oby.2008.233 https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2008.233
- A. D. Karelis, J. Fontaine, Rabasa-Lhoret R, D. Prudohomme, E. Doucet, C. Blanchard C, D. Garrel, I. Strychar, "Psychosocial profile of the metabolically healthy but obese postmenopausal woman." Diabetes & Metabolism. 32(1), pp. 90-91. 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1262-3636(07)70254-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1262-3636(07)70254-9
- H. S. Kwon, Y. M. Park, H. J. Lee, J. H. Lee, Y. H. Choi, S. H. Ko, J. M. Lee, S. R. Kim, S. Y. Kang, W. C. Lee, M. S. Ahn, J. H. Noh, J. M. Kang, D. S. Kim, K. H. Yoon, B. Y. Cha, K. W. Lee, S. K. Kang, H. Y. Son, "The prevalence and clinical characteristics of the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged Korean adults." The Korean Journal of Medicine. 20(4), pp. 310-316. 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3904/kjim.2005.20.4.310 https://doi.org/10.3904/kjim.2005.20.4.310
- S. Y. Chou, M. Grossman, H. Saffer, "An economic analysis of adult obesity: results from the behavioral risk factor surveillance system." Journal of Health Economics. 23(3), pp. 565-587. 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3386/w9247 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhealeco.2003.10.003
- M. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, J. O. Yu, "Factors relating to use of food labels among adults with metabolic syndrome." Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion. 29(5), pp. 1-12. 2012.
- N. J. Ollberding, R. L. Wolf, I. Contento, "Food label use and its relation to dietary intake among US adults." Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 111(5), pp. S47-S51. 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2011.03.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2011.03.009
- R. E. Post, A. G. Mainous, V. A. Diaz, E. M. Matheson, C. J. Everett, "Use of the nutrition facts label in chronic disease management: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of American Dietetic Association. 110(4), pp. 628-632. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2009.12.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2009.12.015
- J. N. Variyam, "Do nutrition labels improve dietary outcomes?." Health Economics. 17(6), pp. 695-708. 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hec.1287 https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.1287
- M. L. Loureiro, S. T. Yen, Jr. R. M Nayga, "The effects of nutritional labels on obesity." Agricultural Economics. 43(3), pp. 333-342. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-0862.2012.00586.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-0862.2012.00586.x
- J. L. Temple, K. Johnson, K. Recupero, H. Suders, "Nutrition labels decrease energy intake in adults consuming lunch in the laboratory." Journal of American Dietetic Association. 110(7), pp. 1094-1097. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2010.04.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2010.04.006
- Korean Endocrine Society, Korean Society for the Study of Obesity, "Management of obesity, 2010 recommendation." Endocrinology and metabolism. 25(4), pp. 301-304. 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3803/EnM.2010.25.4.301 https://doi.org/10.3803/EnM.2010.25.4.301
- K. Yamamoto, H. Kawano, Y. Gando, M. Iemitsu, H. Murakami H, K. Sanada, M. Tanimoto, Y. Ohmori, M Higuchi, I. Tabata, M. Miyachi, "Poor trunk flexibility is associated with arterial stiffening." American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 297(4), pp. H1314-H1318. 2009. Epub 2009. Aug7 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1152/ajpheart.00061.2009. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpheart.00061.2009
- A. Due, S. Toubro, A. R. Skov, A. Astrup, "Effect of normal-fat diets, either medium or high in protein, on body weight in overweight subjects: A randomized 1-year trial." International Journal of Obesity. 8(10), pp. 1283-1290. 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802767 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802767
- S. K. Park, M. S. Park, J. A. Ko, "The association between carbohydrate intake and waist circumference. The Korean Journal of Obesity. 17(4), pp. 175-181. 2008.
- E. M. Kim, J. H. Lee, "Dietary protein and obesity." The Korean Journal of Obesity. 17(3), pp. 101-109. 2008.
- M. K. Kim, J. H. Park, "Metabolic syndrome." Journal of the Korean Medical Association. 55(10), pp. 1005-1013. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2012.55.10.1005 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2012.55.10.1005
- Asan Medical Center. Asan Medical Center health column [Internet]. [cited 2015 May 9], Available from: http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=2105828&cid=51003&categoryId=51021.(accessed May., 10, 2015)