- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Metabolic Syndrome on Quality of Life
대사증후군이 삶의 질에 미치는 영향
- Bang, So Youn (Department of Nursing, Daejeon Institute of Science and Technology)
- 방소연 (대전과학기술대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2015.07.17
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of metabolic syndrome(MS) on quality of life(QoL) using the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey of 2013. We analyzed data for 4,890 adults, aged 19 year or older and provided the correct data about MS and QoL. MS was defined by the National Cholesterol Education Program-Adult Treatment Panel III with Korea-specific waist circumference cutoffs and QoL was measured by the EuroQol 5-dimension(EQ-5D). The prevalence of MS was 22.1% and high density lipoprotein(HDL)-cholesterol was the highest prevalence in MS components. The mean of EQ-5D index was significantly lower in subject with MS compared to subjects without MS. Among MS components, only higher waist circumference led to EQ-5D index decreasing and the regression coefficient was -0.018. In conclusion, we suggest the attention to QoL and intervention program for improving the QoL in subjects with MS.
Supported by : 대전과학기술대학교
- B. Balkau, P. Valensi, E. Eschwege, G. Slama, "A review of the metabolic syndrome", Diabetes & Metabolism, Vol.33, pp.405-413, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2007.08.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2007.08.001
- E. S. Ford, "Risks for all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes associated with the metabolic syndrome: a summary of the evidence", Diabetes Care, Vol.28, No.7, pp.1769-1778, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/diacare.28.7.1769 https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.28.7.1769
- H. S. Park, J. Park, "The relationship between metabolic syndrome and quality of life in Korean adults women", Journal of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Science, Vol.8, No.4, pp.639-648, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2013.8.4.639 https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2013.8.4.639
- Y. Lee, S. Y. Woo, J. H. Ahn, S. Cho, S. R. Kim, "Health-related quality of life in adults with metabolic syndrome: the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2007-2008", Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism, Vol.61, pp.275-280, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1159/000341494
- H. S. Park, S. W. Oh, J. H. Kang, Y. W. Park, J. M. Choi, Y. S. Kim, W. H. Choi, H. J. Yoo, Y. S. Kim, "Prevalence and associated factors with metabolic syndrome in South Korea-from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1998-", The Korean Journal of Obesity, Vol.12, No.1, pp.1-14, 2003.
- Y. M. Rho, "Metabolic syndrome and health related quality of life", Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, Kyungnam, 2010.
- M. J. Kim, E. Park, "The prevalence and the related factors of metabolic syndrome in Urban and rural community", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.26, No.1, pp.67-77, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.1.67 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.1.67
- E. O. Park, S. J, Choi, H, Y, Lee, "The prevalence of metabolic syndrome and related risk factors based on the KNHANES V 2010", Journal of Agricultural Medicine and Community Health, Vol.38, No.1, pp.1-13, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2013.38.1.001 https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2013.38.1.001
- E. G. Oh, S. Y. Bang, S. S. Hyun, S. H. Chu, J. Y. Jeon, M. S. Kang, "Knowledge, perception and health behavior about metabolic syndrome among Korean adults", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol.37, No.5, pp.790-800, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.790
- M. Y. Im, Y. R. Lee, S. J. Han, C. M. Cho, "The effects of lifestyle factors on metabolic syndrome among Korean adults", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol.23, No.1, pp.13-21, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.1.13 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.1.13
- H. J. Park, S. K. Lee, "The incidence and risk factors of metabolic syndrome in rural area", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.6, pp.3934-3943, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3934 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3934
- H. K. Cheon, T. Y. Lee, I. S. Kwon, "The incidence of metabolic syndrome and its risk factor in who under went medical check-up in a health promotion center", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.13, No.3, pp.1186-1193, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.3.1186 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.3.1186
- The WHOWOL Group, "The World Health Organization Quality of Life assessment(WHOQOL): position paper from the World Health Organization", Social Science & Medicine, Vol.41, pp.1403-1409, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(95)00112-K https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(95)00112-K
- Y. S. Kim, "Quality of life in diabetes management", Journal of Kyung Hee University Medical Center, Vol.13, No.1, pp.7-15, 1997.
- G. T. Lim, I. S. Kwon, S. Y. Kim, Y. C. Cho, H. S. Nam, "Differences in health-related quality of life among social classes and related factors in Korea", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.13, No.5, pp.2189-2198, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2189 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2189
- E. S. Ford, C. Li, "Metabolic syndrome and healthrelated quality of life among U.S. adults", Annals of Epidemiology, Vol.18, No.3, pp.165-171, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2007.10.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2007.10.009
- G. H. Frisman, M. Kristenson, "Psychosocial status and health related quality of life in relation to the metabolic syndrome in a Swedish middle-aged population", European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, Vol.8, No.3, pp.207-215, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2009.01.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2009.01.004
- J. Miettola, L. K. Niskanen, H. Viinamaki, H. Sintonen, E. Kumpusalo, "Metabolic syndrome is associated with impaired health-related quality of life: Lapinlahti 2005 study", Quality of Life Research, Vol.17, No.8, pp.1055-62, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11136-008-9386-6 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-008-9386-6
- S. Y. Park, "A study between metabolic syndrome and health-related quality of life: Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2008.
- Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "The Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES VI-1)", pp3-5, 2015.
- S. M. Grundy, J. I. Cleeman, S. R. Daniels, et al., "Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute scientific statement", Circulation, Vol.112, No.17, pp.2735-2752, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.169405 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.169404
- S. Y. Lee, H. S. Park, D. J. Kim, J. H. Han, S. M. Kim, G. J. Cho, D. Y. Kim, H. S. Kwon, S. R. Kim, C. B. Lee, S. J. Oh, C. Y. Park, H. J. Yoo, "Appropriate waist circumference cutoff points for central obesity in Korean adults.", Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, Vol.75, No.1, pp.72-80, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2006.04.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2006.04.013
- International Association for the Study of Obesity Task Force, "The Asia-Pacific perspective: redefining obesity and its treatment, health communications Australia", pp.15-21, WHO Western Pacific Region, 2000.
- S. Y. Bang, I. G. Cho, "The effects of menopause on the metabolic syndrome in Korean women", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.4, pp.2704-2712, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2704 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2704
- P. Amiri, F. Hosseinpanah, S. Jalali-Farahani, Y. Mehrabi, A. Montazeri, F. Azizi, "Is persistence of metabolic syndrome associated with poor health-related quality of life in non-diabetic Iranian adults? Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study", Journal of Diabetes Investigation, Vol.5, No.6, pp.687-693, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jdi.12222 https://doi.org/10.1111/jdi.12222
- S. Ben Ali, H. Belfki-Benali, H. Aounallah-Skhiri, P. Traissac, B. Maire, F. Delpeuch, N. Achour, H. Ben Romdhane, "Menopause and metabolic syndrome in tunisian women", Biomed Research International, Epub 2014 Mar 31. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/457131 https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/457131
- P. C. Deedwania, R. Gupta, K. K. Sharma, V. Achari, B. Gupta, A. Maheshwari, A. Gupta, "High prevalence of metabolic syndrome among urban subjects in India: a multisite study", Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome, Vol.8, Np.3, pp.156-161, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsx.2014.04.033 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsx.2014.04.033
- N. Sarrafzadegan, M. Gharipour, M. A. Ramezani, K. Rabiei, B. Zolfaghar, A. A. Tavassoli, M. Boshtam, S. Zarfeshani, A. Khosravi, A. Yousefi, "Metabolic syndrome and health-related quality of life in Iranian population", Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, Vol.16, No. 3, pp.254-261, 2011.
- V. T. Hjellset, C. M. Ihlebæk, B. Bjorge, H. R. Eriksen, A. T. Hostmark, "Health-related quality of life, subjective health complaints, psychological distress and coping in Pakistani immigrant women with and without the metabolic syndrome: the InnvaDiab-DEPLAN study on Pakistani immigrant women living in Oslo, Norway", Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, Vol.13, pp.732-741, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10903-010-9409-6 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-010-9409-6
- H. Roohafza, M. Sadeghi, M. Talaei, Z. Pourmoghaddas, N. Sarrafzadegan, "Psychological status and quality of life in relation to the metabolic syndrome: Isfahan Cohort Study", International Journal of Endocrinology, Vol.2012, Epub 2012 May 20. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/380902 https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/380902
- J. H. Han, H. S. Park, C. I. Shin, H. M. Chang, K. E. Yun, S. H. Cho, et al., "Metabolic syndrome and quality of life(QOL) using generalised and obesity-specific QOL scales", International Journal of Clinical Practice, Vol.63, No.5, pp.735-741, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2009.02021.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2009.02021.x
- S. S. Park, Y. S. Yoon, S. W. Oh, "Health-related quality of life in metabolic syndrome: The Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005", Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, Vol.91, No.3, pp.381-388, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2010.11.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2010.11.010
- Y. J. Sohn, H. S. Sohn, J. W. Kwon, "Gender differences among middle-aged Koreans for healthrelated quality of life related to metabolic syndrome", Quality of Life Research, Vol.20, No.4, pp.583-592, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11136-010-9789-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-010-9789-z
- W. Schlotz, P. Ambery, H. E. Syddall, S. R. Crozier, A. A. Sayer, C. Cooper, D. I. Phillips; Hertfordshire Cohort Study Group, "Specific associations of insulin resistance with impaired health-related quality of life in the Hertfordshire Cohort Study", Quality of Life Research, Vol.16, No.3, pp.429-436, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11136-006-9129-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-006-9129-5
- D. J. Gorden, L. G. Ekelund, J. M. Karon, J. L. Probstfield, C. Rubenstein, L. T. Sheffield, L. Weissfeld, "Predictive value of exercise test for mortality in North American men; the Lipid Research Clinics Mortality Follow-up Study", Circulation, Vol.74, No.2, pp.252-261, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.74.2.252 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.74.2.252
- H. B. Hubert, M. Feinleib, P. M. McNamara, W. P. Castelli, "Obesity as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease: a 26-year follow-up of participants in the Framingham Heart Study", Circulation, Vol.67, Vo.5, pp.968-977, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.67.5.968 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.67.5.968
- Z. Huang, W. C. Willett, J. E. Manson, B. Rosner, M. J. Stampfer, F. E. Speizer, G. A. Colditz, "Body weight, weight change, and risk for hypertension in women", Annals of Internal Medicine, Vo.128, No.2, pp.81-88, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-128-2-199801150-00001 https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-128-2-199801150-00001
- M. Lechleitner, "Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in the elderly-a mini-review", Gerontology, Vol.54, No.5, 253-259, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000161734 https://doi.org/10.1159/000161734
- Y. J. Na, Y. H. Choi, "Health-related quality of life and its related factors in urban elderly women", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol.15, No.12, pp.7724-7230, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/kais.2014.15.12.7224 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2014.15.12.7224