- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Mediation Effects of Depression and Self-efficacy on College Students' Stress and Subjective Happiness
대학생의 스트레스가 주관적 행복에 미치는 영향 -우울과 자기효능감의 매개효과를 중심으로-
- Ahn, Seong-Ah (Department of Nursing, International University of Korea) ;
- Sim, Mi-Young (Department of Social Welfare, International University of Korea)
- Received : 2015.09.10
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study aims to verify the structured relationship between college students' stress and their stress in the meditating depression and self-efficacy. Findings of the research are summarized as follows. The study looked into how stress would directly affect depression and self-efficacy. It was found that the stress would have immediate effects on depression and self-efficacy. In addition, it was noticed that stress indirectly influences college students' subjective happiness in meditating factors of depression and self-efficacy. After the investigation on the immediate effects of depression in relation to the self-efficacy, results of the study indicated that depression has an immediate negative influence on the self-efficacy. Self-efficacy appeared to affect subjective happiness positively and directly. However, its indirect effects on the subjective happiness was confirmed. Although the study failed to find any direct influence of the stress on subjective happiness, it was learned that stress causes an indirect effect through the meditating factors of depression and self-efficacy. In conclusion, the study suggests that subjective happiness can be improved by stress and depression relaxation, and improvement of self-efficacy.
Supported by : 한국국제대학교
- S. Y. Ahn, The Relationship among self-control, stress perception and coping style of the university students, Department of Counseling Psychology, The graduate School Konyang Unversity, 2006.
- Hahn, V. C., Binnewies, C., Sonnentag, S., & Mojza, E. J., "Learing how to recover from job stress: Effects of a recovery training program on recovery, recovery-related self-control, and well-being", Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 16, No.2, pp. 202-216, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0022169
- H. E. Kim, "The Relationships among stress, resilience, and quality of life in College student", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.1-19, 2011.
- H. N. Lee, H. J. Jeong, K. H. Lee, H. J. Lee, "The Relationship among Stress Perception, Stress Coping, Ego-resilience and Happiness of University Students", Korea Journal of counseling, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 701-713, 2006.
- J. U. Kim, M. H. Kim, Y. S. Kim, "Impact of Stress on Physical and Temporomandibular Joint Symptoms in Health-Related Majoring Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 4919-4926, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.10.4919
- H. J. Chung, "Relationships of Family-of-origin Functioning with Self-differentiation and Psychological Well-being among College Students", Korean Living Science Association, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 1135-1149, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2008.17.6.1135 https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2008.17.6.1135
- M. H. Lee, The Effect of Positive Emotion, Flow, Meaning of Life, Sense of Accomplishment, and the Positive Relationships of University Students upon their Happiness, Department of Education Graduate School Keimyung Universit 2013.
- M. W. Kang, S. A. Kim, J. E. Shim, "University Life Adaptation of Student on Department Security Programs in University Affects Subjective Well-being", The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 10, No.2, pp. 318-327, 2010.
- J. I. Park, C. U. Park, H. J. Seo, Y. S. Youm, "Collection of Korean Child Well-Being Index and Its International Comparison with other OECD Countries", Korean Journal of Sociology, Vol. 44, No.2, pp. 121-154, 2010.
- Loeber, R., "Development and risk factors of juvenil antisocial behavior and delinquency", Clinical Psychology Review, Vol. 10, pp.1-41, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0272-7358(90)90105-J https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7358(90)90105-J
- S. Y. Woo, K. J. Park, "Self-control and Sense of Humor as Moderating Factors for Negative Effects of Daily Hassles on School Adjustment for Children", Childkorea, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 1-15, 2009.
- S. J. Yu, M. R. Song, E. M. Kim, "Factors Influencing Depression among Nursing Students", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol. 20(1), 71-80, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.71
- S. Y. Lim, K. M. Kwon, K. S. Han, "Comparison to Stress, Depression and Self-efficacy between Nursing Student and the Other Major University Women Student" The Korean journal of stress research, Vol. 18, No. 2, 119-124, 2010.
- Y. J. Kwon, Y. S. Park, U, C. Kim, "The Relationship Among Emotional Support, Self-efficacy, Happiness and Academic Achievement of University Students", Korean Education Inquiry, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 153-172, 2007.
- H. C. Cho, "A study on the stress involved in preparing for employment on college student"s happiness : The moderating effects of social support", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 24, No.1, pp. 157-184, 2003.
- M. Kong, Y. J. Kang, "A Study on the Influence of College Life Stresses on the Mental Health of College Students-Focus on the college of Pyongtaek City", The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 1-22, 2012.
- K. K. Chon, K. H. Kim, J. S. Yi, "development of the Revised Life Stress Scale for College Students", Korean journal of health psychology, Vol. 5, No. 2, 316-335, 2000.
- K. H. Kim, "Depression and Suicide in Korean Adolescents", Korean Journal of Psychological and Social issues, Vol. 10, pp. 55-68, 2004.
- Beck, A. T., "Depression Care and Treatment", Philadelpher: Unversity of Pennsylvania Press, 1983.
- K. H. Park, "Development of a Structural Equation Model to estimate University Students Depression", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 38, No. 6, 779-788, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.6.779 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.6.779
- Y. R. Park, E. H. Jang, "Impact of Stress on Depression among University Students : Testing for Moderating Effect of Social Support", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 549-558, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.549 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.5.549
- J. E. Shim, H. Y. An, J. H. Kim, "The Relationship Between Job-seeking Stress and Depression in College Students : The Mediating Roles of Cognitive Emotion Regulation Strategies", Journal of Human Understanding and Counseling, Vol. 32, No. 1, 103-118, 2011.
- U. C. Kim, Y. S. Park, "Stress, Appraisal, Coping and Adaptational Outcome: An indigenous Analysis", Korean journal of health psychology, Vol. 2, No. 1, 96-126, 1997.
- M. J. Kim, "The influence of the level of self-efficacy on stress and depression among healthcare students", Inha University Graduate school of Education, 2014.
- Diener, E., "Assessing subjective well-being: Progress and opportunities", Social Indicators Research, Vol. 31, pp. 103-157, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01207052 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01207052
- J. S. Koo, U, C. Kim, "Integrated Relationship Among Psychological Trait, Life Experience, and Subjective Well-being", The Korean Journal of Social and personality Psychology, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 1-18, 2006.
- S. H. Lee, B. Y. Chung, S. H. Kim, "Influence on Subjective Happiness of University Students", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 115-126, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.1.115 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.1.115
- Y. K. Lee, The influence of social support, personality and self-efficacy on the subjective well-being of university students, Inha University Graduate school of Education, 2008.
- Y. S. Kim, "A Study on Learner's Self-Efficacy Judgemental Process", Journal of research ineducation, Vol. 7, pp. 227-240, 1995.
- Bandura, A. "Human agency in social cognitive theory", American Psychologist, Vol. 44, No 9, pp. 1175-1184, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.44.9.1175 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.44.9.1175
- H. S. Jeon, H. Y. Lee, "A Study on Subjective Happiness, Life Satisfaction Expectancy, Mindfulness and Social Support of the marital middle-aged women", Journal of Asian Women, Vol. 49, No. 1, 123-159, 2010.
- H. S. Park, "The Relationship between Happiness and Yangsaeng among University Students in the Republic of Korea", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, 31-39, 2012.
- Lyubomirsky,S & Lepper, H.S., "A measure of subjective happiness: Preliminary reliability and construct validation", Social Indicators Research, Vol.46, pp. 137-155, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1006824100041 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006824100041
- Cohen, S. Kamarck, T. & Mermelstein, R., "A global measure of perceived stress", Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol. 24, pp. 385-396, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2136404 https://doi.org/10.2307/2136404
- J. E. Lee, The Effects of Self-Complexity and Self-Efficacy on Depression and Perceived Stress, Department of Psychology The Graduate School of Ajou Universit, 2005.
- Beck, A.T., Ward, C.H., Mendelson., Mock, J., & Erbaugh, J., "An inventory for measuring depression", Arch Gen Psychiatry, Vol. 4, pp. 561-571, 1961. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1961.01710120031004 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1961.01710120031004
- Y. H. Lee, J. Y. Song, "A Study of the Reliability and the Validity of the BDI, SDL, MMPI-D Scales", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol.10, No. 1, 98-113.
- A. Y. Kim, "A study on the academic failure-tolerance and its correlates", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 11, No2, pp. 1-19, 1997.
- S. B. Moon, "Structural Equation Modeling", Hakjisa, 2009.
- S. H. Hong, "The Criteria for Selecting Appropriate Fit Indices in Structural Equation Modeling and Their Rationales", The Korean Journal of clinical Psychology, Vol. 19, No. 1, 167-177, 2000.
- Hu, L., & Bentler, P.M., "Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis : Conventional criteria versus new alternatives", Structural Equation Moderling, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 1-55, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118 https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Bandura, A., "Self-efficacy: The exercise of control", New York: Freeman & Company, 1997.
- H. M. Park, The effect on college stusents' self-efficacy, stress and depression in regards to personal relationship, Dept. of Education Graduate School Kwandong University, 2013.
- Lyubomirsky,S & Lepper, H.S., Sheldon, K. M. & Schkade, D., "Pursuing happiness: The Architecture of sustainable change", Review of General Psychology, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 111-131, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1089-26220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-2618.104.22.168