- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The relationship of quality of sleep, fatigue and job stress of airlines international flight attendants in full service carriers
대형항공사 국제선 객실 승무원의 수면의 질, 피로 및 직무스트레스간의 관계
- Hwang, Hye Min (Department of Nursing, Bu-cheon University) ;
- Kim, Mo Ran (Department of Airline Services, Bu-cheon University)
- Received : 2015.07.17
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of the study was to explore quality of sleep, fatigue and job stress and to identify related factors in airlines international flight attendants. The major findings of this study were as follows: 1) Significant factors of job stress by Subject Characteristics were gender(t=-4.14, p<.001), position(F=3.47, p=.011), monthly flight time(F=3.70, p=.028), health supplements(t=3.66, p<.001), sleeping pills(t=4.27, p<.001). 2) A statistically significant relationship between quality of sleep(r=-.57, p<.001), fatigue(r=.61, p<.001) and job stress. 3) The results of the regression analyses showed that fatigue, sleeping pills, gender, quality of sleep were statistically significant in predicting airlines international flight attendants' job stress. The result of this review provide a better understanding of quality of sleep, fatigue and job stress in airlines international flight attendants.
- Korea Airport Corporation. Aviation Statistics 2012 [Internet]. Seoul, Availavle From: http://www.airport.co.kr/wwweng/subIndex/4397.do. (assessed March 10, 2015)
- D. H. Kwon, "A Study on the Competence of Korean Cabin Crews in Foreign Airlines-From E Airline Cabin Crews' perspectives", Journal of aviation management society of Korea. vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 111-127, 2009.
- C. T Chung, U. L Chung, "An exploration of quality of life and related factors among female flight attendants", Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 212-220, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/JNR.0b013e3181b2558f https://doi.org/10.1097/JNR.0b013e3181b2558f
- T. Akerstedt, K. P. Wright, "Sleep loss and fatigue in shift work and shift work disorder", Sleep medicine clinics, vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 257-271, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsmc.2009.03.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsmc.2009.03.001
- G. H. Son, S. Y. Chung, K. J. Kim, "Biological Rhythms and Neuroendocrine Systems", Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 249-257, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3803/EnM.2010.25.4.249 https://doi.org/10.3803/EnM.2010.25.4.249
- T. Ballard, L. Corradi, L. Lauria, C. Mazzanti, G. Scaravelli, F. Sgorbissa, P. Romito, and A. Verdecchia, "Integrating qualitative methods into occupational health research: a study of women flight attendants", Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 163-166, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oem.2002.006221 https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2002.006221
- J. Fuller, J. Schaller-Ayers, Health assessment: A nursing approach. Philadelphia(PA): Lippincott, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/isbn.978-3-318-00549-3
- J. J. Pilcher, B. J. Lambert, A. I. Huffcutt, "Differential effects of permanent and rotating shifts on self-report sleep length: a meta-analytic review", Sleep, vol. 23, pp. 155-163, 2000.
- S. Garbarino, F. De Carli, L. Nobili, B. Mascialino, S. Squarcia, M. A. Penco, M. Beelke, F. Ferrilla, "Sleepiness and sleep disorders in shift workers: a study on a group of italian police officers." Sleep, vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 648-653, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/25.6.648
- C. L Drake, T. Roehrs, G. Richardson, J. K. Walsh, T. Roth, "Shift work sleep disorder: prevalence and consequences beyond that of symptomatic day workers", Sleep, vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 1453-1462, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/27.8.1453
- T. D. Luna, J. French, J. L. Mitcha, "A study of USAF air traffic controller shiftwork: sleep, fatigue, activity, and mood analyses", Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine, vol. 68, No.1, pp. 18-23, 1997.
- E. S. Schernhammer, C. H. Kroenke, F. Laden, S. E. Hankinson, "Night Work and Risk of Breast Cancer", Epidemiology, vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 108-111, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.ede.0000190539.03500.c1 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ede.0000190539.03500.c1
- K. Holcomb, K. Avers, L. Dobbins, J. Banks, L. Blackwell, T. Nesthus, Flight Attendant Fatigue. Part IV. Analysis of Incident Reports, Federal Aviation Administration, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/e733972011-001
- S. J. Kim, M. O. Gu, "A Study on the Relationship among Circadian Types, Sleep Quality and Adaptation to Night Shifts among Nurses Working on Two or Three Day Night Duties", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 309-320, 2013. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2013.19.3.309
- E. J. Lee, S. H. Shin, "The Effect of Health Promotion Behavior on Fatigue and Depression among Shift Nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 2256-2264, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2256 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2256
- H. M. Oh, G. S. Jeong, J. O. Kim, "The Effects of Aroma Inhalation Method with Roll-on in Occupation Stress, Depression and Sleep in Female Manufacture Shift Workers" Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 2903-2913, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2903 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2903
- J. S. Park, E. R. Choi, "A Study on Relationships between Sleep Disorder, Fatigue and Job Stress in Police Shift-workers", The Institute of Police Science, vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 25-53, 2010.
- K. H. Cho, H. S. Ko, "Effect of Cabin Attendants' Job Stress on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention in the Airline Service", The journal of Korea Contents Society, vol. 10, No. 7, pp. 404-419.
- Y. H. Maeng, D. M. Lee, "A Comparative Study between Full Service and Low-Cost Carrier on the Effect of Job Stress on Career Satisfaction among Flight Attendants", The journal of aviation management society of Korea, vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 119-139.
- J. Cohen., Statistical power analysis for the behavioral science (2nd ed). NewYork: Academic Press. 1988.
- R. Snyder-Halpern, J. A. Verran, "Instrumentation to describe subjective sleep characteristics in healthy subjects", Research in Nursing & Health, vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 155-163, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770100307 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770100307
- J. J. Oh, M. S. Song, S. M. Kim, "Development and Validation of Korean Sleep Scale A", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 563-572. 1998. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19188.8.131.523
- T. Chalder, G. Berelowitz, T. Pawlikowska, L. Watts, "Development of fatigue" Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 147-153, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90081-P https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90081-P
- M. S. Park, "Fatigue and Related Factors in Elderly People Living at Home", Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 173-183, 2009.
- D. F. Parker, T. A. Decotiis, "Organizational determinants of job stress", Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, vol. 32, pp. 160-177, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(83)90145-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(83)90145-9
- R.P. Quinn, L. G. Shepard, The 1972-1973 Quality of Employment Survey. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan, Institute for Social Research. 1974.
- Y. H. Lee, H. Y. Park, "The Relationship between Job Stressors and Organizational Effectiveness: The Moderating Effects of Job Stress", Journal of Tourism Management Research, vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 113-138, 2006.
- Y. M. Park, "The relation of Sleep, Mental Health and Job Satisfaction of Nurse in General Hospital" Unpublished Master's Thesis, Chodang University, 2015.
- M. K. Nam, "The effects of sleep education on sleep improvement in hospitalized elderly" Unpublished Master's Thesis, Yonsei University, 2008.
- Y. S. Byun, M. S. Park, "Chronic Fatigue and Related Factors in Adults", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing, vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 302-313, 2001.
- T. J. Ballard, S. Lagorio, G. D. Angelis, M. Santaquilani & M. Caldora, "A Retrospective Cohort Mortality Study of Italian Commercial Airline Cockpit Crew and Cabin Attendants, 1965-96", International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 87-96, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/oeh.2002.8.2.87 https://doi.org/10.1179/oeh.2002.8.2.87
- T. J. Ballard, P. Romito, L. Lauria, V. Vigiliano, M. Caldora, C. Mazzanti, & A. Verdecchia, "Self perceived health and mental health among women flight attendants", Occupational and environmental medicine, vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 33-38, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oem.2004.018812 https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2004.018812
- L. Brown, The efficacy of flight attendant/pilot communications in a post 9/11 environment: Viewed from both sides of the fortress door. Unpublished draft manuscript. Psychological Bulletin, vol. 95, No. 3, pp. 542-575, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542