- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparison of an Axillo-Breast Approach and Only-Axillary Approach in Robotic Endoscopic Thyroidectomy
로봇 내시경 갑상선 절제술의 액와-유륜 접근법과 유일-액와 접근법의 비교
- Won, Tae Wan (Department of Surgery, Wonkwang University School of Medicine)
- 원태완 (원광대학교 의과대학 외과학교실)
- Received : 2015.09.24
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
Purpose: Various new techniques in thyroid surgery have been developed to improve visualization and reduce risk of complications. New approaches for robotic endoscopic thyroidectomy help to prevent neck scarring and improve surgical ergonomics. The purpose of this study was to compare the efficacy and adventages of an axillo-breast approach (AB group) and an only-axillary approach (OA group) in robotic endoscopic thyroidectomy. Methods: Between November 2008 and July 2014, axillo-breast approach was performed in 128 patients and only-axillary approach was performed in 128 patients for robotic endoscopic thyroidectomy. We compared tumor characteristics, surgical outcomes, and postoperative complications between the two approaches. The homogeneity between two groups of general characteristics was analyzed by independent t-test, fisher's exact test, Chi-square test. Results: There were no differences in terms of tumor characteristics, extent of thyroidectomy, retrieved nodes, and postoperative complications between the two approaches. The patients in OA group can avoid breast scar. Conclusion: Our techniques of AB and OA approaches for robotic endoscopic thyroidectomy are safe, feasible, and cosmetically excellent procedures. Also the OA approach for robotic endoscopic thyroidectomy is an attractive surgical option for patients with thyroid tumor who want an avoid breast scar.
- Alvarado R, McMullen T, Sidhu SB, Delbridge LW, Sywak MS. "Minimally invasive thyroid surgery for single nodules: an evidence-based review of the lateral mini-incision technique", World J Surg. pp. 1341-48, July, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00268-008-9554-4 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-008-9554-4
- Miccoli P, Minuto MN, Ugolini C, Pisano R, Fosso A, Berti P. Minimally invasive video-assisted thyroidectomy for benign thyroid disease: an evidence-based review. World J Surg. pp. 1333-40, July, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00268-008-9479-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-008-9479-y
- Kang SW, Jeong JJ, Yun JS, Sung TY, Lee SC, Lee YS, et al. Gasless endoscopic thyroidectomy using trans-axillary approach; surgical outcome of 581 patients. Endocr J. pp. 361-69, No. 3, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1507/endocrj.K08E-306 https://doi.org/10.1507/endocrj.K08E-306
- Camarillo DB,Krummel TM, Salisbury JK Jr. Robotic technology in surgery: past, present, and future. Am J Surg. pp. 2-15, October. 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2004.08.025 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2004.08.025
- Jeong JJ, Kang SW, Yun JS, Sung TY, Lee SC, Lee YS, et al. Comparative study of endoscopic thyroidectomy versus conventional open thyroidectomy in papillary thyroid microcarcinoma (PTMC] patients. J Surg Oncol. pp. 477-80, Aug. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jso.21367 https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21367
- Lobe TE, Wright SK, Irish MS. Novel uses of surgical robotics in head and neck surgery. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. pp. 647-52, December, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/lap.2005.15.647 https://doi.org/10.1089/lap.2005.15.647
- Moran ME. The da Vinci robot. J Endourol. pp. 986-90, January, 2007.
- Kyung Tae, Yong Bae Ji, Jin Hyeok Jeong, Seung Hwan Lee, Mi Ae Jeong, Chul Won Park. Robotic thyroidectomy by a gasless unilateral axillo-breast or axillary approach: our experiences. Surg Endosc. pp. 221-28, January, 2011.
- Kyung Tae, MD, Yong Bae Ji, MD, Seok Hyun Cho, MD, Seung Hwan Lee, MD, Dong Sun Kim, MD,Tae Wha Kim, MD. Early surgical outcomes of robotic thyroidectomy by a gasless unilateral axillo-breast or axillary approach for papillary thyroid carcinoma: 2 years' experience. Head Neck. pp. 617-25. May, 2012.
- Bodner J, Fish J, Lottersberger AC, Wetscher G, Schmid T. Robotic resection of an ectopic goiter in the mediastinum. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. pp. 249-251, August, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.sle.0000174549.87048.f5 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sle.0000174549.87048.f5
- Lee J, Yun JH, Nam KH, Choi UJ, Chung WY, Soh EY. Perioperative clinical outcomes after robotic thyroidectomy for thyroid carcinoma: a multicenter study. Surg Endosc. pp. 906-12, March, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00464-010-1296-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-010-1296-3
- Lang BH, Chow MP. A comparison of surgical outcomes between endoscopic and robotically assisted thyroidectomy: the authors' initial experience. Surg Endosc. pp. 1617-23, May. 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00464-010-1450-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-010-1450-y
- Kang SW, Jeong JJ, Yun JS, Sung TY, Lee SC, Lee YS, et al. Robot-assisted endoscopic surgery for thyroid cancer: experience with the first 100 patients. Surg Endosc. pp. 2399-2406, November. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00464-009-0366-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-009-0366-x
- Kang SW, Jeong JJ, Nam KH, Chang HS, Chung WY, Park CS. Robot-assisted endoscopic thyroidectomy for thyroid malignancies using a gassless transaxillary approach. J Am Coll Surg. pp. e1-7. August. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2009.05.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2009.05.003
- Tae K, Ji YB, Jeong JH, Lee SH, Jeong MA, Park CW. Robotic thyroidectomy by a gasless unilateral axillo-breast or axillary approach: our ealy experiences. Surg Endosc. pp. 221-8, January, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00464-010-1163-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-010-1163-2
- Landry CS, Grubbs EG, Morris GS, Turner NS, Holsinger FC, Lee JE, et al. Robot assisted transaxillary surgery (RATS] for the removal of thyroid and parathyroid glands. Surgery, pp. 549-55. April, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2010.08.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2010.08.014
- Youben F, BoW, Chunlin Z, Jie K, Bomin G, Fan T, et al. Ttrans-areola single-site endoscopic thyroidectomy: pilot study of 35 cases. Surg Enjdosc, pp. 939-47, April, 2012.
- Ikeda Y, Takemi H, Sasaki Y, Tagayama J, Niimi M, Kan S. Clinical benefits in endoscopic thyroidectomy by the axillary approach. J Am Coll Surg. pp. 189-95, February. 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1072-7515(02)01665-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1072-7515(02)01665-4
- Ikeda Y, Takami H, Tajima G, Sasaki Y, Takayama J, Kurihara H, et al. Total endoscopic thyroidectomy: axillary or anterior chest approach. Biomed Pharmacother. pp. 72-78. November, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0753-3322(02)00274-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0753-3322(02)00274-3