- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Fear of Negative Evaluation, Cognitive Emotional Regulation on Field Adaptation of New Graduate Nurses
부정적 평가에 대한 두려움, 인지적 정서조절이 신규간호사의 현장적응에 미치는 영향
- Jeong, Kwi-Nam (Department of Nursing, Kyoungbuk College) ;
- Lee, Haw-Jin (Department of Nursing, Hallym university, Dongtan Sacred Hospital) ;
- Kwon, Hae-Jin (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-ang University)
- Received : 2015.09.11
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study was to analyze the relationships between fear of negative evaluation, cognitive emotion regulation and field adaptation of new graduate nurses and the possible moderating effect of cognitive emotion regulation. The participants of this study were 181 new graduate nurses who have worked for less than 1 year at a hospital, data was collected by using self-report questionaires. The results of this study were fear of negative evaluation score 3.25, cognitive emotion regulation score 3.18 and field adaptation score 2.92. Fear of negative evaluation had a positive correlation with maladaptive cognitive emotion regulation, and a negative correlation with field adaptation, and did not have on moderating effect. As this results, it strengthen field adaptation for new graduate nurses in a new circumstance through self-esteem enhancement programs. It is also required to manage by using an adaptive cognitive emotion regualtion.
- K. M. Sin, J. O. Kwon, E. Y. Kim, "Factors associated with New Graduate Nurses Reality Shock", J Korean Acad Nurs Adm, Vol.20 No.3, pp. 292-301, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.292 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.292
- E. Judy, "Thransition shock: The initial stage of role adaptation for newly graduated Registered Nurses", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 65, No.5, pp. 1103-1113, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04898.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04898.x
- M. R. Park, S. Y. CHoi, M. M. Park, H, J. Lee, Y. J. Jeong, H. Y, "A Survey of hospital care far short of manpower", 2014 Working Paper, Hospital Nurses Association.
- H. M. Yun, J. S. Kim, "An Analysis of the Factors affecting Turnover Intention of New Nurses", Global Health Nurse. Vol. 2 No. 2, pp. 52-61, 2012.
- G. L. Kim, H. J. Lee, Y. S. Cho, M. H. Kim, "The Experience of Turnover Decision Making in New Graduate Nurses.", J Qual Res, Vol. 14 No. 1, pp23-33, 2013. https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.23
- S. S. Han, I. S. Sohn, N. E. Kim, "New Nurse Turnover Intention and Influencing Factors", J Korean Acad Nurs, Vol.39 No.6, pp. 878-887, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.878 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.878
- C. S. Yoo, J. H. Kim, M. Y. Kim, S. J. Kim, Y. S. Kim, J. A. Kim, S. H Park. E. J. Cho, E. H. Choi, H. K. Choi, "Factors Related to Organizational Socialization of New Nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 18 No. 2, pp. 239-250, 2012. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2012.18.2.239
- G. Tolbert, "Performance Anxiety in New Graduate Nurses", Dimens Crit Care Nurse. Vol.31, No.5, pp. 295-300, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/DCC.0b013e3182619b4c https://doi.org/10.1097/DCC.0b013e3182619b4c
- Watson D, Friend R., "Measurement of social-evaluative anxiety", J of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol.33, pp. 448-457, 1969. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/h0027806 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0027806
- A.. S.. Rachel, J. B. Mark., "Fear of evaluation in social anxiety_ Mediation of attentional bias to human faces", Journal of Anxiety Disorder, Vol.45, No.4, pp. 475-483, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbtep.2014.06.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbtep.2014.06.007
- H. S. Jang, J. L. Han, "The effects of publishing industry followers' chemyon, self presentation and fear of negative evaluation on the conflict management style", The Korean Publishing Science Society, Vol.38, No 1, pp. 147-170, 2012.
- J. W. Weeks, R. G. Heimberg, T. L. Rodebaugh, "The fear of evaluation Scale_Assessing a proposed cognitive component of social anxiety", Journal of Anxiety Disorders, Vol.22, pp. 44-55, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2007.08.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2007.08.002
- G. Cheng, D, Zhang, F, Ding, "Self-esteem and fear of negative evaluation as mediators between family socioeconomic status and social anxiety in Chinese emerging adults", International Journal of Social Psychiatry, pp. 1-8, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0020764014565405 https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764014565405
- Y. K. Hong, J. H. Moon, K, N, Wank, H. Ch. Cho, "The Effect of Body Image and Social Self-Efficacy on Social anxiety: The Mediating Effect of Fear of Negative Evaluation", J of Emotional & Behavioral Disorders, Vol,24 No 4, pp. 19-36, 2008.
- K. H. Hong, H. Y. Hong, "The Effects of Fear of Negative Evaluation and Cognitive Emotional Regulation on Adolescents' Social Anxiety", Korean journal of youth studies, Vol.18 No.5, pp. 291-320, 2011.
- H. S. Jang, H. J. Lie, I. H. Lee, "The effects of publishing industry followers" chemyon(social face) sensitivity, impression management and fear to the negative evaluation on communication apprehension" The Korean Publishing Science Society, No, 54, pp. 293-322, 2008.
- S. H. Lee, Y. D. Lim, "Affect the Validity of Hotel Employees Social Face Sensitivity and Fear of Negative Evaluation on the Relationship" J of Foodservice Management, Vol.17 No.1, pp. 177-200, 2014.
- J. I. Lee, "Anger, anxiety, depression in the workplace-Differences of evoking causes and coping methods among emotions, Relationships of emotion regulation and psychological well-being, job effectiveness", Korean psychology Asociation, Vol, 6 No, 3, pp. 19-58, 2003.
- L. Manue, E. Eva, "Positive benefits of caring on nurses' motivation and well-being_A diary study about the role of emotional regulation abilities at work", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol.52, pp. 804-816, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.01.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.01.002
- M. H. Sung, W. J. Choi, H. K. Chun, "The Relationship of Negative Emotion, Emotion Suppression, and Job Satisfaction to Organizational Commitment in Hospital Nurses", J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 258-266, 2011.
- Y. H. Shin, "Influencing Factors for Nurses'' Problem Solving Ability Related to Dysfunctional Beliefs and Emotion Regulation Strategy", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 402-412, 2012. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2012.18.3.402
- R. A. Thompson, "Emotional regulation : a theme in search for definition, In. N. A. Fox, The development of emotion regulation: behavioral and biological considerations", Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, Vol.59, pp. 25-52, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1166137 https://doi.org/10.2307/1166137
- S. H. Kim, "A Study on Relationships Among the Stressful Events, Cognitive Emotion ReguIation Strategies and Psycholocal Well-Being", Journal of Student Guidance and Counseling, Vol. 26, No.-. 2008.
- R. A. Thompson, "Emotional regulation and emotional development", Educational Psychology Review, Vol.3, pp. 269-307, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01319934 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01319934
- A. Y. Shin, J. H. Chae, "Emotion regulation Strategies in patients with depressive and anxiety disorders", Cognitive Behavior Therapy in Korea, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 41-52, 2011.
- J. I. Yoon, N. W. Chung, "Relationships among Optimism, Cognitive Emotion Regulation, and Counselor Burnout", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp49-68, 2009.
- V. Garnefski, P. Kraaij, Spinhoven, "Negative life events, cognitive emotion regulation and emotional problems Original Research Article Personality and Individual Differences", Vol.30, No.8, pp. 1311-1327, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00113-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00113-6
- F. Faul, E.Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, A.Buchner, "Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences", Behavior Research Methods, Vol 39, No. 2, pp. 175-191, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- M. R. Leary, "A brief version of the fear of negative evaluation scale". Personality and Social Psychology bulletin, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 371-375, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0146167283093007 https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167283093007
- J. Y. Lee, Ch. H. Choi, "A Study of the Reliability and the Korean version of Social Phobia Scales(K-SAD, K-FNE)", Korean J of Clinical Psychology, Vol.16 No.2, pp. 251-265, 1997.
- S. I. Son, H. S. Kim, J. S. Kwon, D. L. Park, Y. H. Han, S. S. Han, "Evaluation Instrument Tool Development for Field Adaptation of New Nurses, Hospital Nurses Association, 2008.
- E. O. Ji, A study on field adaptation of new nurses. Unpublished Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea. 2009
- Y. S. Kim, K. Y. Park, "The Mediating Effect of Professionalism in the Relationship between Clinical Competence and Field Adaptation in Newly Graduated Nurses", Korean Acad Nurs Adm, Vol. 19 No. 4, 536-543, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.536 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.536
- S. H. Yoon, B, S. Kim, "New Graduate Nurses' Stress, Stress Coping, Adaptation to Work and Job Satisfaction : Change Comparison by Personality", Korean Acad Nurs Admin, Vol.12 No.3, pp. 491-500, 2006
- H. J. Lee, Y. C. Cho, "Relationship Between Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention Among Nurses in General Hospitals". J of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 7 pp. 4404-4415, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4404 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4404
- Cecily M. R, "Irish nursing students's changing self-esteem and fear of negative evaluation during their preregistration programme", Issues and innovations in nursing education, Vol.42, No.4, pp390-401, 2003.