- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Analysis of Management and Innovative Performances by the Characteristics of the Industrial Park Tenancy
산업단지 입주특성에 따른 기업 경영 및 혁신성과 분석
- Song, Ji-Hyun (Department of Economics, University of Seoul)
- 송지현 (서울시립대학교 경제학과)
- Received : 2015.03.31
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study applies regression analysis and propensity score matching to analyze the agglomeration economies which the characteristics of tenancy affect the performance of the manufacturing industry based on industrial parks. The estimation main data are from Kis-Value, KIPRIS and FEMIS. The results show that the industrial park tenancy tends to work positively on the management performances. But there is no evidence that on-Park firms in the metropolitan areas(Gyeonggi-do) have higher management and innovative performances than the comparable firms. The firms that have lived for a long time in the industrial parks, are good in total sales, however, they have no significant efficiency in net profit, operating profit, and patents. The firms, having several branches of the industrial parks, have lower operating profit than others. Long-term and multiple tenant firms do not learn over time nor do they establish better linkages and networks.
- Massey, D. B., Quintas, P., & Wield, D., High-tech fantasies: Science Parks in Society, Science and Space. Routledge, 1992.
- Bakouros Y. L., Dimitri C Mardas, Nikos C Varsakelis, Science park, a high tech fantasy?: an analysis of the science parks of Greece, Technovation, vol. 22(2), pp. 123-128, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(00)00087-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(00)00087-0
- McDonald, John F., Mcmillen, Daniel P., Urban Economics(Theory and Policy), BlackwellPub., 2007.
- Marshall, A., Principle of Economics, London, MacMillan and Co., 8th ed., 1890, 1920.
- Ohlin, B., Interregional and International Trade, Mass, Harvard University Press, 1933.
- Jacobs, J. (1969), The Economy of Cities, Random House.
- O'Sullivan, Urban Economics, Parkyoungsa, 2004.
- Porter, M., The Competitive Advantage of Nations. New York: Free Press, 1990.
- Porter, M. and Monitor Group, Clusters of Innovation : Regional Foundations of U.S. Competitiveness, Council of Competitiveness, EXECUTIVE SUMMARY OF THE CLUSTERS OF INNOVATION NATIONAL REPORT, 2001.
- Jacobs, J. The Economy of Cities, New York: Vintage, 1969.
- Geenhuizen, M. and Soetanto, D. P., 'Science Park: What They Are And How They Need to be Evaluated', International Journal of Foresight and Innovation Policy, vol. 4(2), pp. 90-111, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJFIP.2008.016908 https://doi.org/10.1504/IJFIP.2008.016908
- Ferguson, R., Olofsson. C., Science Parks and the development of NTBFs-location, Survival and Growth, Journal of Technology Transfer, vol. 29(1), pp. 5-17, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/B:JOTT.0000011178.44095.cd https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JOTT.0000011178.44095.cd
- Squicciarini, M., 'Science Parks' tenants versus out-of-Park firms: who innovates more? A duration model', J Technol Transfer, vol. 33, pp. 45-71, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10961-007-9037-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-007-9037-z
- Squicciarini, M., 'Science parks: seedbeds of innovation? A duration analysis of firms' patenting activity', Small Bus Econ, vol. 32, pp. 169-190, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11187-007-9075-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-007-9075-9
- Westhead, P. and Bastone, S., Independent Technology-Based Firm: The Perceived Benefits of a Science Park Location. Urban Studies, vol. 35(12), pp. 2197-2219, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0042098983845 https://doi.org/10.1080/0042098983845
- Westhead, P. and Stephen, B., Perceived Benefits of a Managed Science and Park Location. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, vol. 11(2), pp. 129-154. 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/089856299283236 https://doi.org/10.1080/089856299283236
- Westhead, P., Stephen, B., and Frank, M., Technology-Based Firms Location on Science Parks the Applicability of Bullock's Soft-Hard Model, Enterprise & Innovation Management Studies, vol. 1(2), 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14632440050119550 https://doi.org/10.1080/14632440050119550
- Westhead, P., 'R&D 'inputs' and 'outputs' of technology -based firms located on and off Science Parks', R&D Management, vol. 27(1), pp. 45-62, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1467-9310.00041 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9310.00041
- C. H. Kwak, S.N. Ko, 'Spatial Productivity Differences in Korea : A Case Study for Manufacturing Industries in Industrial Parks', Journal of the Economics Geographical Society of Korea, vol. 8(2), pp. 237-245, 2005.
- S. J. Choi, B.S. Kim, 'Do Firms in Industry Cluster Built by Government Show better Performances?', Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, vol. 13(4), pp. 738-757, 2010.
- J. G. Kim, (A) study on the performance evaluation of Techno-Park : Focusing on the growth effect of tenant firms, The korea association for policy studies, 2012.
- Carolyn, H. et al., A Primer for Applying Propensity-Score Matching, IDB Technical Notes, pp. 48-53, 2010.
- Korea Intellectual Property Rights Information Service : The Number of Firms' Patents from www.kipris.or.kr (accessed Aug., 20, 2015)
- Korea Industrial Complex Corporation FactoryOn : The status of Industry Parks' tenant from www.femis.go.kr (accessed Dec., 20, 2014)