- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Study on the Method of Determination of Vertical Stress Due to Extension of Embankment Width
성토폭의 확장에 의한 지중응력 결정법 연구
- Lee, Seung-Hyun (Division of Architecture, Architectural Engineering and Civil Engineering, Sunmoon University) ;
- Kim, Eung-Seok (Division of Architecture, Architectural Engineering and Civil Engineering, Sunmoon University)
- Received : 2015.07.10
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
In this study, equation of calculating vertical stress increment developing in underneath of the embankment due to the extension of embankment width was derived through the use of theory of elasticity. Concept of the origin of plane was adopted to simplify derivation procedure for obtaining the equation. Comparing the results of the equation for calculating vertical stress increment with those of the numerical analyses, differences in the magnitudes of vertical stress increments decrease as the depths below embankment increase. Comparing the vertical stress increments with horizontal distances which correspond to certain depth, vertical stress increments obtained from the derived equation were slightly greater than those of numerical analyses.
- Timoshenko, S. P. and Goodier, J. N., Theory of elasticity, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1987, p.97-104.
- Harr, M. E., Foundations of Theoretical Soil Mechanics, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1967, p.58-69.
- Kolosov, G. B., Application of Complex Diagrams and the Theory of Functions of Complex Variables to the Theory of Elasticity, ONTI., 1935.
- Florin, V. A., Fundamentals of Soil Mechanics, Vols. 1 and 2, Gosstroiizdat, Moscow, 1959.
- Zimmermann, T., ZSOIL.PC Getting started. Elmepress international, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2013.
- Bowles, J.E., Foundation analysis and design. McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1988, p.99-100.