- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of a Simulation-based Program on Self-Directed Learning Ability, Metacognition and Clinical Competence in a Nursing Student
시뮬레이션 교육이 간호대학생의 자기주도 학습능력, 메타인지, 임상수행능력에 미치는 효과
- Chae, Myung-Ock (Department of Nursing, Cheongju University)
- 채명옥 (청주대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2015.07.21
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study was to identify the effect of simulation-based program on self-directed learning ability, metacognition and clinical competence for nursing students. The subjects were 88 students enrolling in the simulation-based practice. Simulation-based program included team based pre-discussion, taking a simulation and being debriefed during 12 weeks. After the subjects had participated in the simulation-based program, they showed statistically significant higher self-directed learning ability(t=4.270, p<.001), metacognition(t=4.435, p<.001) than before. However, there was no significant change in clinical competence. Therefore, facility of self-directed learning ability, metacognition and clinical competence for nursing students needs to develop and operate more systematic simulation-based program.
Supported by : 청주대학교 보건의료과학연구소
- W. S. Lee, K. C. Cho, S. H. Yang, Y. S. Roh, G. Y. Lee, "Effects of problem-based learning combined with simulation on the basic nursing competency of nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.16, No.1, pp.64-72, 2009.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. Purpose of nursing education accreditation, 2012 Available From: http://kabon.or.kr/eng/kabon02/index.php (accessed December 3, 2012).
- Y. S. Roh, E. S. Cho, W. S. Lee, "Analysis of main instructional design factors for simulation integrated PBL nursing courses", The Journal of Educational Information and Media, Vol.16, No.1, pp.125-143, 2010.
- Y. A. Song, Y. J. Son, "Effects of simulation-based practice education for core skill of maternity nursing", Korean Parent-Child Health Journal, Vol.16, No.1, pp.37-44, 2013.
- A. Lathrop, B. Winningham, L. VandeVusse, "Simulation-based learning for midwives: background and pilot implementation", Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, Vol.52, No.5, pp.492-498, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmwh.2007.03.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmwh.2007.03.018
- P. R. Jeffries, "A framework for designing, implementing, and evaluation simulations used as teaching strategies in nursing", Nursing Education Perspectives, Vol.26, No.1, pp.96-103, 2005.
- G. Kocaman, A. Dicle, A. L. Ugur, "A longitudinal analysis of the self-directed learning readiness level of nursing students enrolled in a problem-based curriculum", The Journal of nursing education, Vol.48, No.5, pp.286-290, 2009.
- J. H. Choi, J. H. Jeong, "The effect of readiness to self-directed learning on nursing practice competence", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.17, No.1, pp.16-26, 2011.
- M. R. Song, E. M. Kim, S. J. Yu, "Aanalysis on the competency of nursing students' basic nursing skills", International Journal of Contents, Vol.12, No.6, pp.390-401, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2012.12.06.390 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2012.12.06.390
- M. Y. Jho, M. O. Chae, "Impact of self-directed learning ability and metacognition on clinical competence among nursing students", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol.20, No.4, pp.513-522, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.513 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.513
- P. R. Pintrich, D. A. F. Smith, T. Garcia, W. J., McKeachie, A manual for the use of the motivated strategies for learning questionnaire (MSLQ). Washington, DC: Office of Educational Research and Improvement, 1991.
- M. H. Kang, Y. H. Song, S. H. Park, "Relationships among metacognition, flow, interactions and problem solving ability in web-based problem based learning", Journal of Research Institute of Curriculum Instruction, Vol.12, No.1, pp.293-315, 2008. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2008.12.2.293
- H. R. Kim, E. Y. Choi, H. Y. Kang, "Simulation module development and team competency evaluation", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.18, No.1, pp.392-400, 2011.
- C. M. Lee, H. S. So, Y. K. Kim, J. E, Kim, M. J. An, "The effects of high fidelity simulation-based education on clinical competence and confidence in nursing students: A aystematic review", International Journal of Contents, Vol.14, No.10, pp.850-861, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.850 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.850
- M. S. Lee, S. W. Hahn, "Effect of simulation-based practice on clinical performance and problem solving process for nursing students", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol.17, No.2, pp.226-234, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.226
- Korean Educational Developmental Institute, A study on the developmental of life-skills: Communication, problem solving, and self-directed learning. Seoul: Korean Educational Developmental Institute, 2003.
- W. M. Yi, Effect of metacognition and flow level in learning through educational computer game on problem solving ability, Unpublished master's thesis, Korea National University of Education, ChungBuk, 2004.
- P. M. Schwirian, "Evaluating the performance of nurse: a multidimensional approach", Nursing Research, Vol.27, No.6, pp.347-351, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-197811000-00004 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-197811000-00004
- W. H. Lee, C. J. Kim, J. S. Yoo, H.K. Hur, K. S. Kim, S. M. Lim, "Development of clinical competency measurement tool for student", Journal Nursing Science, Vol.13, No.1, pp.17-29, 1990.
- M. S. Choi, A study on the relationship between teaching effectiveness of clinical nursing education and clinical competency in nursing students, Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2005.
- H. Y. Jun, Y. I. Cho, K. E. Park, J. M. Kim, "Effect of human patient simulator-based education on self-directed learning and collective efficacy", International Journal of Contents, Vol.12, No.5, pp.293-302, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2012.12.05.293 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2012.12.05.293
- Y. I. Han, "Effects of nursing simulation-based practice education on learning outcomes and classes experience in nursing students", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.18, No.1, pp.135-150, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.1.135 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.1.135
- H. J. Choi, "The effects of PBL on the metacognition, critical thinking and problem solving process of nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol.34, No.5, pp.712-721, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.712
- Y. J. Oh, H. Y. Kang, "Metacognition, learning flow and problem solving ability in nursing simulation learning", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.20, No.3, pp.239-247, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.3.239 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.3.239
- B. J. Zimmerman, D. H. Schunk, Self-regulated learning and academic achievement: Theory, research, and practice. New York: Springer Verlag, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4612-3618-4
- S. O. Kim, S. Y. Pak, "Effects of High-Fidelity Simulation-Based Training of Nursing Students according to their Learning Styles", International Journal of Contents, Vol.13, No.11, pp.1046-1057, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2013.13.11.1046 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2013.13.11.1046