- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Intermittent Fasting and Thermotherapy on the Obese
온열과 간헐 단식요법의 병행이 인체의 비만에 미치는 영향
- Ha, Hunju (International Thermotherapy, Health and Education Association) ;
- Lee, Hyung H. (Dept. of Naturopathic Medicine, Dongbang Culture Graduate Univ.)
- Received : 2015.07.31
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of the study is to investigate the effectiveness of the concurrent thermotherapy and intermittent fasting therapy for obesity. The experimental therapy conducted at the same time for 11 days, and had 35 adult participants. Six variables(girth, body weight, body mass index, body fat ratio, abdominal fat, and body basal metabolic rate) of participants were measured initially before the experimental therapy, and respectively after two consecutive experimental therapies (S1 and S2). The differences between the averages of the six variables in the initial measurement (C group), S1 group, and S2 group are significant and correlate each other. The differences between variables also were significant within groups and between groups. Additionally, the results show that the effectiveness of the therapy was greater after the 2nd therapy than the 1st therapy. In conclusion, these findings suggest that the concurrent therapy is effective and useful as a natural healing therapy for obesity.
- G. Mercuro, M. Deidda, A. Bina, E. Manconi, G.M. Rosano. Gender-Specific Aspects in Primary and Secondary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease. Current Pharmaceu-tical Design, 17(11), 1082-1089, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2174/138161211795656954 https://doi.org/10.2174/138161211795656954
- J. Lind strom, M. Uusitupa. Lifestyle Intervention, Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Disease. Lancet 2008, 371(9626), 1731-1733, 2012.
- M.P. Mattson, R. Wan. Beneficial Effects of Intermittent Fasting and Caloric Restriction on the Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Systems. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 16(3), 129-137, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2004.12.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2004.12.007
- M. N. Harvie, M. Pegington, M. P. Mattson, etal. The Effects of Intermittent or Continuous Energy Restriction on Weight Loss and Metabolic Disease Risk Markers: a Randomized Trial in Young Overweight Women. International Journal of Obesity, (Lond), 35(5),714-727, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2010.171
- W. C. Buschemeyer 3rd., J. C. Klink, J. C.Mavro poulos, et al. Effect of Intermittent Fasting with or without Caloric Restriction on Prostate Cancer Growth and Survival in SCID mice. Prostate, 70(10), 1037-1043, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pros.21136 https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.21136
- E. W. Demerath, D. Reed, N. Rogers, et al. Visceral Adiposity and its Anatomical Distribution as Predictors of the Metabolic Syndrome and Cardio-metabolic Risk Factor Levels. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,88(5), 1263-1271, 2008.
- K. V. Williams,M. L. Mullen, D. E. Kelley, R. R. Wing. The Effect of Short Periods of Caloric Restriction on Weight Loss and Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 21(1), 2-8, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/diacare.21.1.2 https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.21.1.2
- Y. J. Jo. Affect of Intermittent Fasting on Body Composition and Physical Fitness, the Immune System. Yongin University Masters thesis, 2014.
- J. W. Kim. Impact on Body Mechanism by Resistance Exercising and Intermittent Fasting Program. Myongji University Masters thesis, 2014.
- H. J. Ha. Effects of Combined Intermittent Fasting and Heat Injection Thermotherapy on Body Metabolic Rates. Journal of Naturopathy,4(1), 62-69, 2015.
- K. T. Kim, H. J. Ha, H. H. Lee. Statistical Analysis of Examined Values of Finger Blood Pressures, Body and Blood Conditions after Abdominal Injection Thermotherapy, Journal of Naturopathy, 4(1), 1-9, 2015.
- National Institute of Health. Technology Assessment Conference Statement. NIH, 1994.
- K. M. Abu, M. J. McCutcheon, S. Reddy,P. L.Pearman, G. R. Hunter, Electrical Impedance in Assessing Human Body Composition: the BIA Method, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 47(5): 789-7992, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/47.5.789
- J. T. Peterson, WES Rapovich, C.R. Parascand. Accuracy of Consumer Grade Bioloelectrical Impedance Analysis Device Compared to Air Displacement Plethysmography. International Journal of Exercise Science, 4(3): 176-184, 2011.
- World health organization. 1996 & 2015. Obesity and Overweight. Fact sheet, N011.
- Ministry of health and welfare. Survey of National Health and Nutrition. Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Reports, pp.5-6, 2010.
- M. C. Klempel, C. M. Kroeger, S. Bhutani, Intermittent Fasting Combined with Calorie Restriction is Effective for Weight Loss and Cardio-Protection in Obese Women. Nut. J. 11: 98-104, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-11-98 https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-11-98
- M. Al-Islam, E.Faris, S. Kacimi, Intermittent fasting during Ramadanattenuates proinflammatory cytokines and immune cells in healthy subjects. Nut. Res. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2012.06.021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2012.06.021
- K. R. Lee, Correlation Between Fat-Free Mass and Resting Metabolic Rate in Female College Students. Masters thesis, Sookmyung University, Seoul, 2001.