- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Development and Applications of A Paternity and Kinship Analysis System Based on DNA Data
유전자 분석 자료에 의한 친자 및 혈연관계 분석시스템 개발 및 활용
- Koo, Kyo-Chan (Department of Industrial Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, Sun-Uk (Department of Industrial Engineering, Dankook University)
- Received : 2015.07.02
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
Recently, DNA data of missing person, killed person, and missing child continue to increase but most of statistical calculation for paternity confirmation is being done through manual methods or Excel. Therefore, we need development of a software which is able to facilitate both systematic management and effective analysis of Short Tandem Repeat (STR) derived from DNA data. Without extensive testing, through a twenty-month study was developed a web-based system which performs paternity analysis and kinship analysis easily based on the various options. The former uses an existing algorithm for paternity index and the latter does Identity by descent (IBD) formula. Due to our system validated over real datasets in terms of likelihood ratio and probability of paternity, it ensures increased reliability as well as effective management and analysis of DNA data in mass disaster. In addition, it includes advanced features such as an integrated environment, user-centered interface, process automation and so on.
- S. B. Hong, J. Y. Kim, H. J. Park, H. J. Ahn, "Database searching and kinship analysis system of STR and mtDNA data in Korean war remains", Korean journal of forensic science, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 12-18, 2010.
- J. Drabek, "Validation of software for calculating the likehood ratio for parentage and kinship", Forensic Science International: Genetics, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 112-118, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2008.11.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2008.11.005
- J. A. Riancho, M. T. Zarrabeitia, "A Windows-based software for common paternity and sibling analyses", Forensic Science International, Vol. 135, No. 3, pp. 232-234, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(03)00217-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(03)00217-2
- K. F. Goodnight, D. C. Queller, "Computer software for performing likehood test of pedigree relationship using genetic markers", Molecular Ecology, Vol. 8, No. 7, pp. 1231-1234, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-294x.1999.00664.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-294x.1999.00664.x
- J. M. Butler, "Genetics and genomics of core short tandem repeat loci used in human identity testing", Journal of Forensic Sciences, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 253-265, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00046.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00046.x
- J. M. Butler, "Forensic DNA Typing: Biology, Technology, and Genetics of STR Markers", Academic Press, 2005.
- P. Gill, "Role of short tandem repeat DNA in forensic casework in the UK-past, present, and future perspectives", Biotechniques, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 366-385, 2002.
- M. A. Jobling, P. Gill, "Encoded evidence: DNA in forensic analysis", Nature Reviews Genetics, Vol. 5, No. 10, pp. 739-751, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nrg1455 https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg1455
- J. S. Buckleton, C. M. Triggs, S. J. Walsh, "Forensic DNA Evidence Interpretation", CRC Press, 2005.
- H. J. Lee, J. W. Lee, G. R. Han, J. J. Hwang, "Motherless case in paternity testing", Forensic science international, Vol. 114, No. 2, pp. 57-65, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(00)00293-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(00)00293-0
- H. J. Jin, K. D. Kwak, S. B. Hong, Y. H. Cho, M. S. Han, W. Kim, "Forensic Genetic Analysis for the PowerPlex-16 System in the Korean Population", Gene & Genomics, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 489-496, 2007.
- M. S. Blouin, "DNA-based methods for pedigree reconstruction and kinship analysis in natural population", Trends in Ecology & Evolution, Vol. 18, No. 10, pp. 503-511, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5347(03)00225-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5347(03)00225-8
- F. Dai, D. E. Weeks, "Ordered Genotypes: An extended ITO Method and a general formula for genetic covariance", The American Journal of Human Genetics, Vol. 78, No. 6, pp. 1035-1045, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/504045 https://doi.org/10.1086/504045
- T. Egeland, P. F. Mostad, B. Mevag, M. Stenersen, "Beyond traditional paternity and identification cases: Selecting the most probable pedigree", Forensic Science International, Vol. 110, No. 1, pp. 47-59, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(00)00147-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(00)00147-X
- C. H. Brenner, "Multiple mutations, covert mutations and false exclusions in paternity casework", International Congress Series, Vol. 1261, pp. 112-114, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0531-5131(03)01843-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0531-5131(03)01843-0