- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A study on Career identity, Satisfaction in major, and Adjustment to college life for students of Department of Food and Nutrition at a University
일 대학 식품영양학과 학생의 진로정체감, 전공만족도 및 대학생활적응에 관한 연구
- Lee, Songmi (Department of Food and Nutrition, Dongshin University) ;
- Cho, Jihyun (Department of Social Welfare, Dongshin University)
- Received : 2015.08.25
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study is to investigate relationships among career identity, satisfaction in major, and adjustment to college life for students who major in food and nutrition that is complex and has diversity of carrier and to serve as a guideline for career counselling and college life. After reliability and validity of the data collected were verified using IBM SPSS Statistics 22, difference in variables according to characteristics of students was examined using independent t-test, ANOVA, and chi-square test. The results showed that there was a positive correlation among career identity, satisfaction in major, and adjustment to college life and students who had prior knowledge of their major showed a higher level of career identity, satisfaction in major and adjustment to college life compared to those who did not. Therefore, it is suggested that guidance on Department of Food and Nutrition should be provided to students before they decide on their major for their increased satisfaction in major, smooth adjustment to college life, and career decision. With this data, we recognize the gravity of psychological factor and carrer consciousness may provide base data to practical use of student life and carrer guidance.
- J. S. Jung, M. J. Jeong, I. Y. Yoo, "Relations between Satisfaction in Major, Career Decision-making Self-efficacy and Career Identity of Nursing Students", J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ., Vol. 20, No. 1, 27-36, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.27 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.27
- K. H. Kim, H. S. Kim, "A Study of Department Satisfaction Factors of Undergraduate Students", The Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 1 No. 1, 7-20, 2000.
- M-H. So, S-S. Yoon, S. Namkung, "A study on the Prolongation of Educational Term of the Department of Food and Nutrition In Junior College", Korean J. Food & Nutr, Vol. 4, No. 1, 9-20, 1991.
- J-K. Kim, H-M. Oh, Y-S. Lee, "A Study on the Reorganized into the Three-Year Period of Education of the Department of Food and Nutrition in Junior College", Korean J. Food & Nutr, Vol. 19, No. 1, 14-21, 2006.
- I. Y. Cho, "The Relationship of Career Identity, Major Satisfaction and College Adaptation of Nursing Freshmen", J. Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 5, 2937-2945, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2937 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2937
- R. W. Baker, B. Siryk, "Measuring adjustment to college", Journal of Counselling Psychology, Vol. 31, No. 1, 179-189, 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.124
- H. W. Kim, "The relationship between family system patterns and career decision-making and adjustment to college". Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, 2005.
- H. S. Kim, "The effects of college students' career education program as curriculum on vocational identity, career decision level & career preparation behavior", Journal of Career Education Research, Vol. 20, 35-46, 2007.
- Y. S. Kang, S. K. Hwang, "Correlations of Self-esteem, Major satisfaction and Career motivation in College Nursing Students", J. Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 7, 3301-3309, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.7.3301 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.7.3301
- M. Rosenberg, "Society and the adolescent self-image", Princeton, NJ: Princeton Unioversity Press, 1965.
- A. K. Chung, J. S. Kim, J. H. Kim, "The Effects of Self-Respect, Academic Self-Efficacy, and Career Maturity on Student Adaptation to College and Learning Persistence", J. Engineering Education reserch, Vol. 16, No. 6, 11-18, 2013.
- J. L. Holland, D. C. Daiger, P. G. Power, "My Vocational situation", Palo Alto, CA : Consulting Psycology Press.1980.
- B. H. Kim, "Career decision level and career preparation behavior of the college students", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, 1997.
- Y. H. Kwon, C. N. Kim, "Effect of a ready planned self growth program through MBTI on interpersonal relationships and the career identity of nursing college students", Journal of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 2, 216-229, 2002.
- K. H. Kim, H. S. Ha, "A Study of Department Satisfaction Factors of Undergraduate Students", The Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 1, No. 1, 7-20, 2000.
- D. J. Lee, "The relationships among satisfaction in major, gender identity, and gender stereotypes of male nursing students", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2004.
- J. W. Hyun, "The effect of perfectionism and evaluative threat on the performance of task", Unpublished Master's thesis, Yonsei University, 1992.
- S. Coopersmith, "The antecedents of self-esteem", Consulting Psychologists Pr. 1967.
- J. G. Kang, "Effects of self-concept, career maturity and school achievement upon occupational status aspiration", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, 1986.
- J. E. Kim, "Relationship among Self-esteem, Subjective Happiness, and Educational Faith on Pre-service Early Childhood Teachers", Unpublished master's thesis, Yeungnam University, 2010.
- S-Y. Lee, "A Study on the Development of Food and Nutrition Curriculum Corresponding to the Change of the Time", Chung-Ang Journal of human Ecology Vol. 20, 135-154, 2004.
- H. K. Lee, "A study on the relationship between the self-esteem and the satisfaction with major of college students in the early childhood education", J. Young Child Studies, Vol. 17, 27-43, 2014.
- S. G. Shin, "Comparison of Satisfaction on Each Major Dept. of Health-Related Universities Located in Busan and Gyeongnam", J. Radiological Science and Technology, Vol. 34, No. 2, 131-140, 2011.
- H. Y. Shim, "The relationships between Stressor of Stydents in Different Major Fields and Adaptation to College Life" Unpublished Master's thesis, Dan-kook University, 2013.
- C. S. Son, S. G. Song, S. Y. Yoon, H. J. Kwon, Y. W. Song, K. H. Lee, R. Hwang, S. W. Kim, H. Jung, "The Survey of the Motive of Admission to Physical Therapy College, Learning Satisfaction, and Career Orientation, and its Correlation Analysis of Self Esteem", J. KSSPT, Vol. 9, No. 1, 19-26, 2013.