- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The effect of some properties of volunteer activities on self-esteem, self-efficacy, and resilience in Dental Hygiene students
일부 치위생학 전공 대학생의 봉사활동 특성이 자아존중감과 자기효능감 및 회복탄력성에 미치는 영향
- Kang, Hyun-Kyung (Department of Dental Hygiene, Silla University)
- 강현경 (신라대학교 치위생학과)
- Received : 2015.09.10
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study aimed to investigate differences in self-esteem, self-efficacy, and resilience according to the general characteristics and properties of volunteer activity in Dental Hygiene students, and to investigate correlations and the factors affecting these. After explaining the aims of the study to participants and receiving their consent during January 2015, the participants were given a structured, self-report questionnaire, with 178 responses included in the final analysis. IBM SPSS Statistics (version 21.0) was used for statistical analysis, with a significance level of p<0.05. Some general characteristics and volunteer activity properties were found to affect self-efficacy, self-esteem, and resilience. Academic achievement and participation in volunteer activities improved self-efficacy, self-esteem, and resilience. In addition to the factors affecting academic achievement, volunteer participation, age, religious, etc. It is thought that the development of various programs that provide students with academic motivation and natural opportunities to participate in volunteer activities would be helpful, as would increasing group activities to encourage active participation.
- G. H. Shin, S. S. Ok, "The Subjective Perception Type of University Student Volunteers on Volunteer Activities", Journal of School Social Work, 29, pp. 177-203, 2014.
- S. Y. Park, J. K. Kim, T. Y. Lee, "Effect of Occupational Therapy Volunteering on Self-esteem and Self-efficiency in University Students", The Korea Contens Society, 11(2), pp. 376-384, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.2.376 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.2.376
- M. Rosenberg, "Society and the adolescent self-image", 1965.
- I. J. Song, "(The) Relationship between Self-esteem and Emotionally Maladjusted Behavior of Elementary and Middle School Students", Wonkwang University Master's Thesis, 2003.
- W. Damon, D. Hart, "The Development of Self-understanding from Infancy through Adolescence", Child Development, 53(4), pp. 841-864, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1129122 https://doi.org/10.2307/1129122
- A. Bandura, "Self-efficacy: The Exercise of Control", Macmillan, 1997.
- J. H. Kim, "Resilience", pp. 66-72, Gyeonggi-do, wisdomhouse, 2011.
- Y. K. Lee, L. H. Kim, "The Relationship of Ego Resilience and Involvement with the Experience of Anxiety and Perceived Stress in Nursing students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 15(4), pp. 1953-1962, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.1953 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.1953
- J. Y. Jung, J. H. Lim, "Effects of Temperament, Family Strength and Social Support on Ego-Resilience of Adolescents", Korean Home Economics Education Association, 23(1), pp. 37-51, 2014.
- M. A. Shin, "Effect of Volunteering, Self-esteem and Job-esteem on Major Satisfaction among Nursing Students", The Korea Contens Society, 13(11), pp. 1024-1035, 2013.
- J. M. Shin, E. K. Lea, N. M. Yang, "The Effects of Career Calling on Career Decision-making Self-efficacy and Life-satisfaction in College Students", Institute of Social Science, 54(1), pp. 169-194, 2015
- H. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, "The Mediating Effect of Academic Self-efficacy and Career Decision making Self-efficacy on the Relationship between Covert Narcissism and Employment Anxiety of College Students", Korean journal of youth studies, 22(2), pp. 223-244. 2015.
- D. S. Son, Y. H. Moon, "A Study on the Influence Factors the Resilience of Social Welfare Majors in College", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Education, 16(16), pp. 48-69. 2015.
- M. S. Cho, S. S. Lee, J. H. Kim, "Relationship of Resilience and Organizational Commitment in Dental Hygienists", Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, 14(5), pp. 695-701, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.695 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.695
- F. Y. Hsieh, D. A. Bloch, M. D. Larsen, "A Simple Method of Sample Size Calculation for Linear and Logistic Regression", Statistics in Medicine, 17(14), pp. 1623-1634, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19980730)17:14<1623::AID-SIM871>3.0.CO;2-S https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19980730)17:14<1623::AID-SIM871>3.0.CO;2-S
- M. Sherer, J. E. Maddux, B. Mercandante, S. Prentice-Dunn, B. Jacobs, R. W. Rogers, "The Self-efficacy Scale: Construction and Validation. Psychological Reports", 51(2), pp. 663-671, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1918.104.22.1683 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1922.214.171.1243
- H. Y. Hong, "(The) Relationship of Perfectionism, Self-efficacy and Depression", Ewha Womans University Master's Thesis, 1994.
- S. Coopersmith, "The antecedents of self-esteem" Consulting Psychologists Pr; 1967.
- S. J. Han, "(A) Study on the Factors Influencing the Duration of College Student Volunteer's Voluntary Activity : Focusing on College Student Volunteers who Attended on Social Service Subject", Ewha Womans University Master's Thesis, 1999.
- G. Windle, K. M. Bennett, J. Noyes, "A Methodological Review of Resilience Measurement Scales". Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 9(8), pp. 1-18, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-9-8 https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-9-1
- M. A. Shin, K. S. Ahn, "A Study on Satisfaction in Major and Job Esteem based on Volunteering Experience of College Students in the Department of Dental Hygiene and Nursing", Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, 12(6), pp. 1090-1100, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.6.1090 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.6.1090
- Y. H. Kim, "The Research of the Recognition of Nursing Student about Voluntary Activity", Journal of Psychology and Behavior, 2(2), pp. 47-59, 2010.
- S. J. Whang, "The Relationship between Clinical Stress, Self-Efficacy, and Self-esteem of Nursing College Students" The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 12(2), pp. 205-213, 2006.
- H. S. Park, Y. J. Bae, S. Y. Jung, "A Study on Self-esteem, Self-efficacy, Coping Methods, and the Academic and Job-seeking Stress of Nursing Students", J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, 11(4), pp. 621-631, 2002.