- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
An Influence of Adolescent's Self-Esteem and Environmental Characteristics on Life Satisfaction : Moderating Effect of Positive Self-Evaluation and Negative Self-Evaluation
청소년의 자아존중감과 환경특성이 삶의 만족도에 미치는 영향 : 긍정적 자아평가와 부정적 자아평가의 조절효과
- Lee, Jongseok (School of Business Administration, Hallym University) ;
- Jung, Deuk (School of Business Administration, Hallym University)
- Received : 2015.08.03
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study analyzes the moderating effects of the self-esteem on the life satisfaction of 2,040 middle school senior students using the Korean Children and Youth Panel Survey 2012 Data (KCYPS 2012) provided by the National Youth Policy Institute. The path analysis of how environmental characteristics, such as parents, friends, and school, affect life satisfaction, is based on four groups of self-esteem, categorized by positive and negative self-evaluation levels. The analysis suggests that groups with higher levels of positive self-evaluation have closer relevance in more paths than other groups. Furthermore, in groups with higher levels of negative self-evaluation, negative effects on life satisfaction are offset by positive self-evaluation. These results suggest research associated with the mental health of adolescents and their self-esteem should be performed according to two separate levels of self-esteem: positive self-evaluation and negative self-evaluation. Since low levels of negative self-evaluation doesn't necessarily guarantee high levels of positive self-evaluation, counseling for adolescents needs to have different tracks, addressing positive and negative self-evaluation levels.
- Mee-Ry Lee, "Relationships of Self-Esteem with Family-, Friend-, School-, Leisure-, and Jod-Related Variables in Early Adolescence: Focusing on Positive and Negative Self Evaluations", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 16, No.2, pp. 263-293, 2005.
- Ae-Gyeong Kim, "The effects of parental conflicts, social supports, locus of control orientation on early adolescents' self-esteem", Korea Youth Research Association, Vol. 10, No.2, pp.351-372, 2003.
- Hee-Hwa Kim, "The Relation between Bullying-Victimization and Adolescents' Self-Esteem: The Implication of Peer Support", Family and Environment Research, Vol.40, No.9, pp.47-61, 2002.
- Seong-Heun Hong, Hyun-Sim Do, "Mother-Adolescent Relationships and Adolescents' Self-esteem as related to their Achievement Motivation", Family and Environment Research, Vol.40, No.12, pp.145-157, 2002.
- Hee-Og Sim, "Factors Influencing Internal and External Problem Behaviors in Late Elementary School Children : Depression and Antisocial Behavior", Korean Association of Child Studies, Vol.18. No.1, pp.39-52, 1997.
- Jong-Kuk Yang, Chung-Ki Kim, "Relationships among Delinquent Risk Factors, Protective Factors and Recidivism of Juvenile Delinquency", Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol.10, No.2, pp.101-121, 2002.
- Bo-Gee Byun, Suck-Gi Kang, "Research Articles : A Study of Adolescents' Self-Esteem and Hostility", Korea Youth Research Association, Vol.9, No.3, pp.269-291, 2002.
- Jin-Young Kim, Young-Gun Ko, "Positive Clinical Psychology: Focusing on Mental Fitness and Positive Psychotherapy", Korean Psychological Association, Vol.15, No.1, pp.155-169, 2009.
- Aspinwall, Lisa G. & Staudinger, Ursula M., A Psychology of Human Strengths: Fundamental Questions and Future Directions for a Positive Psycholo (Fundamental Questions and Future Directions for a Positive Psychology), American Psychological Association, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/10566-000 https://doi.org/10.1037/10566-000
- Rosenberg, M. Society and the Adolescent Self-Image. Prinston, NJ: Prinston Univ. Press, 1965.
- Larsen, R.J & Ketlaar, T., "Personality and susceptibility to positive and negative emotional states", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 61(1), pp.132-140, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.11
- Byong-Sam Jung, "An Analysis of the Longitudinal Effects of Parent-Child Relationships on Adolescent Self-Esteem", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol.21, No4, pp.5-30, 2010.
- Fredrickson, B. L., "The role of positive emotions in positive psychology: The broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions", American Pshychologist, 56, pp.218-226, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.3.218 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.3.218
- Sin-Yung Kim etc., Korean Adolescent Development Index Research, National Youth Policy Institute, 2006.
- Myo-Yeon Huh, The Study for the Development and Validation of 'Parenting Behavior Inventory' Percieved by Adolescent, The Graduate School of Ewha Women's University, 2000.
- Armsden, G. C., & Greenberg M. T., "The inventory of parent and peer attachment: Individual differences and their relationship to psychological well-being in adolescence", Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 16(5), pp.427-454, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02202939 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02202939
- Sun-Hee Kim, Kyung-Yeon Kim, "Development Behavior Problem Scale for Children and Adolescent", The Korean Home Management Association, Vol.16, No.4, pp.155-164, 1998.
- Hyo-Jung Park, Eun-Kyoung Yeon, An Analytical Study on the Life and Culture of Korean Secondary School Students, Korean Indicational Development Institute, 2003.
- Ui-Chol Kim, Young-Shin Park, "Factors influencing the quality of life for Korean adolescents and adults at home, school, work and leisure settings: Indigenous psychological analysis", Korean Psychological Association, Vol.9, No.4, pp.973-1003, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2004.47.10.973 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2004.47.10.973