- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of flexi-bar exercise on body composition and trunk muscle strength in overweight and obesity female college students
플렉시-바 운동이 과체중 및 비만 여대생의 신체조성과 몸통근력에 미치는 효과
- Um, Ki-Mai (Department of Physical Therapy, Yeoju Institute of Technology) ;
- Wang, Joong-San (Department of Physical Therapy, Yeoju Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2015.06.26
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study aimed to analyze the effect of flexi-bar exercise on in body composition and trunk muscle strength of female college students who are either overweight or obesity. The subjects were female college students divided into experimental group(N=15) and control group(N=15). The experimental group performed a flexi-bar exercise for of 30 minute sessions three days per week for five weeks, and the differences in body composition and trunk muscle strength before and after the experiment and between experimental group and control group were analyzed. The study results showed that the experimental group had a statistically significant improvement in the body fat mass and body fat percentage, body muscle mass, both arm muscle mass, trunk muscle mass, basal metabolic rate(p<.05). Changes in trunk muscle strength showed that the experimental group had statistically significant increased in changes in trunk muscle strength(p<.01). The study verified that flexi-bar exercise can be effective for improving the body composition and trunk muscle strength of overweight and obesity female college students.
- Korean society for the study of obesity. "Koeran society for the study of obesity Facet sheet", Available From: http://www.kosso.or.kr/general/.(accessed may, 31, 2010).
- L. J. Aronne, K. K. Isoldi, "Overweight and obesity: key components of cardiometabolic risk", Clin Cornerstone, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 29-37, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1098-3597(07)80026-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1098-3597(07)80026-3
- S. K. Park, Y. C. Cho, "Relationship among serum lipid levels, obesity and blood pressure in health examined adult women", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 9 pp. 4342-4348, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4342 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4342
- World Heath Organization. "Obesity and overweight: Fact sheet", Available From: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/. (accessed may, 31, 2015).
- M. M. Hillemeier, C. S. Weisman, C. Chuang, D. S. Downs, J. McCall-Hosenfeld, F. Camacho, "Transition to overweight or obesity among women of reproductive age", J. Womens Health, Vol. 20, N0. 5, pp. 703-710, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2010.2397 https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2010.2397
- C. Cristi-Montero, M. J. Cuevas, P. S. Collado, "Whole-body vibration training as complement to programs aimed at weight loss", Nutri Hosp, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 1365-1371, 2013.
- M. Henriksen, R. Christensen, B Danneskiold-Samsoe, H. Bliddal, "Changes in lower extremity muscle mass and muscle strength after weight loss in obese patients with knee osteoarthritis: a prospective cohort study", Arthritis Rheum, Vol. 64, N0. 2, pp. 438-442, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.33394 https://doi.org/10.1002/art.33394
- M. S. Choi, The Effect of Core Program in 8 weeks on middle-aged Women's Lumbar Lordosis angle, Lumbar Muscle Strength and Flexibility. Daejeon University of Master's Course, 2007.
- H. S. Kim, "Effect of core stability training on body composition and physical fitness in university students", Journal of Coaching Development, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 102-110, 2012.
- D. J. Cochrane. "Is vibration exercise a useful addition to a weight management program?", Scand J Med Sci Sports, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 705-713, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2011.01411.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2011.01411.x
- C. Milanese, F. Piscitelli, M. G. Zenti, P. Moghetti, M. Sandri, C. Zancanaro, "Ten-week whole-body vibration training improves body composition and muscle strength in obese women", Int J Med Sci, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 307-311, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7150/ijms.5161 https://doi.org/10.7150/ijms.5161
- K. N. Mileva, M. Kadr, N. Amin, "Acute effects of flexi-bar vs. sham-bar exercise on muscle electromyography activity and performance", J Strength Cond Res, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 737-748, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181c7c2d8 https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181c7c2d8
- J. S. Chung, Effect of flexi-bar exercise on trunk muscles activity according to posture change in healthy adult. Catholic University of Daegu Dissertation of Master's Course, 2013.
- J. Moreside, F. J. Vera-Garcia, S. M. McGil, "Trunk muscle activation patterns, lumbar compressive forces, and spine stability when using the bodyblade", Phys Ther, Vol. 87, No. 2, pp. 153-163, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20060019 https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20060019
- J. H. Kim, K. H. SO, Y. R. Bae, B. H. Lee, "A comparison of Flexi-bar and General Lumbar Stabilizing Exercise Effects on Muscle Activity and Fatigue", J Phys Ther Sci, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 229-233, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1589/jpts.26.229 https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.26.229
- E. H. Jang, Y. R. Park, "Body Composition, Blood Pressure, Blood Lipids, and Glucose according to Obesity Degree by Body Fat Percentage in Female University Students", J Koeran Soci Biol Nurs Sci, Vol. 14, No. 4 pp. 231-238, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.4.231 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.4.231
- World Health Organization. "Mongolian steps survey on the prevalence of noncommunicable disease and injury risk factors-2009", WHO Library Cataloguing in Publication Data, pp. 15-34, 2010.
- H. S. Yoon, S. Y. Bae, Y. C. Cho, "Relationship between obesity indices and serum lipid levels in adults using data from health examination", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 2 pp. 1145-1152, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1145 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1145
- F. P. Kendall, P. G. Provance, E. K. McCreary, Muscles: Testing and function with posture and pain. 4th ed. p.221-222, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 2005.
- J. C. Dunn, D. Maura, "Interrater reliability of knee muscle forces obtained by hand-held dynamometer from elderly subjects with degenerative back pain", J Geriatr Phys Ther, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 23-29, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1519/00139143-200312000-00004 https://doi.org/10.1519/00139143-200312000-00004
- A. Machado, D. Garcia-Lo pez, J. Gonzalez-Gallego, N. Garatachea, "Whole-body vibration training increases muscle strength and mass in older women: a randomized-controlled trial", Scand J Med Sci Sports, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 200-207, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2009.00919.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2009.00919.x
- C. Kisner, L. A. Colby, Therapeutic exercise foundations and techniques. 5rd ed. p.221-241, F.A. Davis Company Publishers, 2007.
- M. J Bin, Effects of circulation exercise on female body composition. Hanshin University of Master's Course, 2009.
- K. H. Min, T. Y. Lee, "Assessment of Obesity Indices in Consideration of Gender and Age", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 9 pp. 4046-4053, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.9.4046 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.9.4046
- H. O. Jeon, "Relations of self-assertiveness, self-esteem, depression and abnormal eating attitudes among female university students with weight control experience", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial, Vo1. 15, No. 4, pp. 2207-2216, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2207 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2207
- L. Castillo-Martinez, J. C. Lopez-Alvarenga, A. R. Villa, J. Gonzalez-Barranco, "Menstrual cycle length disorders in 18 to 40 year old obese women", Nutrition, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 317-320, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(02)00998-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(02)00998-X
- R. Akagi, Y. Takai, E. Kato, M. Fukuda, T. Wakahara, M. Ohta, H. Kanehisa, Y. Kawakami, T. Fukunaga, "Relationships between muscle strength and indices of muscle cross-sectional area determined during maximal voluntary contraction in middle-aged and elderly individuals", J Strength Cond Res, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 1258-1262, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181918a9b https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181918a9b
- D. Neumann, Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system: foundations for rehabilitation. 2nd ed. p.384-409, Mosby Publishers, 2010.
- A. Papathanasopoulos, M. Camilleri, "Dietary fiber supplements: effects in obesity and metabolic syndrome and relationship to gastrointestinal functions", Gastroenterology, Vol. 138, No. 1, pp. 65-72, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2009.11.045 https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2009.11.045