- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
An Analytical Study of Flange Local Buckling of Horizontally Curved I-Girders for Estimate Resonable Stress Gradient
합리적 응력경도 산정을 위한 수평 곡선 I-형 거더의 플랜지 국부좌굴의 해석적 연구
- Kim, Hee-Soo (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Lee, Kee-Sei (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Hwa (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Choi, Jun-Ho (Research Institute for Mega Structures, Korea Univ.) ;
- Kang, Young-Jong (School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea Univ.)
- 김희수 (고려대학교 건축사회환경공학과) ;
- 이기세 (고려대학교 건축사회환경공학과) ;
- 이정화 (고려대학교 건축사회환경공학과) ;
- 최준호 (고려대학교 초대형구조기술연구소) ;
- 강영종 (고려대학교 건축사회환경공학과)
- Received : 2015.08.18
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
Horizontally curved I-girders are subjected to not only bending moments but also torsional moments. The torsional moment of the plate girder is addition of St. Venant torsion and non-uniform torsion. In the flange of I-shaped plate girder, a kind of open-section, the normal stresses is not distributed uniformly due to the non-uniform torsion. Because of that, one of compression flange tip can be yielded faster than the flange of general straight girder. In other words, the flange local buckling strength is decreased when the girder has initial curvature. In this paper, the numerical analysis is conducted to investigate the average stresses in flange for curved girders. The subtended angle and slenderness ratio are taken as parameters.
Grant : 곡선 강교량의 합리적인 LRFD 설계기술 개발
Supported by : 한국건설교통기술평가원
- Kang, Y. J., and Yoo, C.H. "Buckling analysis of curved beams by finite-element discretization", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE. 1996.
- U.S. Steel "V-load analysis, an approximate procedure, simplified and extended, for determining moments and shears in designing horizontally-curved open framed highway bridges". USS highway structures design handbook, Vol 1, Chap 12, U.S. Steel, Pittsburgh, Pa., 1984.
- AASHTO "AASHTO LRFD bridges design specifications", American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington, D.C. 2014.
- Culver, C. G., and Frampton, R. E. "Local instability of horizontally curved members." J. Struct. Div., 962, 245-265. 1970.
- Duncan, W. J. "Galerkin's method in mechanics and differential equations." Aeronautical Research Council Rep. and Memorandum. No. 1798, Aeronautical Research Council, London. 1937.
- Madhavan, M. and Davidson, J. S. "Theoretical Evaluation of Flange Local Buckling for Horizontally Curved I-Girders" J. Bridge Eng. 14. 424-435. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2009)14:6(424) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2009)14:6(424)
- White, D. W., Zureick, A. H., Phoawanich, N., and Jung, S. K. "Development of unified equations for design of curved and straight steel bridge I girder." Rep. Prepared for American Iron and Steel Institute Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Professional Service Industries, Inc. and Federal Highway Administration, School. 2001.
- Hartmann, J. E. "An experimental investigation of the flexural resistance of horizontally curved steel I-girder systems." Ph.D. dissertation, University of Maryland, College Park, Md., 340. 2005.
- Mozer, J., and Culver, C. G. "Horizontally curved highway bridges, stability of curved plate girder." Rep. No. PI, U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C., 1-95. 1975.
- Davidson, J. S., and Yoo, C. H. "Local buckling of curved I-girder flanges", J. Struct. Eng., 1228, pp.936-947. 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:8(936) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:8(936)
- Hoffman, J. J. "Analytical and field investigation of horizontally curved girder bridges", Graduate Theses and Dissertations. Paper 13104, Iowa State University. 2013.
- Madhavan, M., and Davidson, J. S. "Buckling of centerline stiffened plates subjected to uniaxial eccentric compression." Thin-Walled Struct., 438, 1264-1276. 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2005.03.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2005.03.013
- Barr, P. J., N. Yanadori, M. W. Halling, and K. C. Womack. "Live-Load Analysis of a Curved I-Girder Bridge". J. Bridge Eng. ASCE, 11(2), 160-168. 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(asce)1084-0702(2007)12:4(477) https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)1084-0702(2007)12:4(477)