- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Relationships between compliance and health-related quality of life in patients with hemodialysis
혈액투석환자의 이행과 건강관련 삶의 질 간의 관계
- Cha, Jieun (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University)
- 차지은 (경북대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2015.09.22
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of the study was to evaluate patients' compliance with the hemodialysis and to investigate relationships between compliance, physiological parameters, and health-related quality of life. Data were collected from 220 patients at 27 local hemodialysis clinics. Compliance was measured with Sick-role Behavioral Compliance including interdialytic weight gain, serum potassium, and phosphorus. Health-related quality of life was assessed using Medical Outcomes Study Short Form-12. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-tests, ANOVA, and Pearson correlation. Total compliance scored 2.92 out of 4 points on average. Among fifteen items, 'I keep on my dialysis schedule(time and date)' was the highest score. There were differences in the scores for compliance according to age, marital status, and dialysis period. Statistically significant correlations were found between four compliance items(medication, infection control, sleep, eating vegetable and fruit) and health-related quality of life. The results of the study indicate that a patient-centered approach would be helpful to improve quality of life in patients with hemodialysis. Healthcare providers need to understand the patients' perspectives by identifying what is important to patients and taking patient values and priorities into account.
- R. B. Curtin, D. L. Mapes, "Health Care Management Strategies of Long-term Dialysis Survivors", Nephrology Nursing Journal, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 385-394, 2001.
- N. G. Kutner, "Improving Compliance in Dialysis Patients: Does Anything Work?", Seminars in Dialysis, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 324-327, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-139X.2001.00080.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-139X.2001.00080.x
- B. Kara, K. Caglar, S. Kilic, "Nonadherence with Diet and Fluid Restrictions and Perceived Social Support in Patients Receiving Hemodialysis", Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 243-248, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2007.00175.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2007.00175.x
- End Stage Renal Disease Registry Committee, "Current Renal Replacement Therapy in Korea-Insan Memorial Dialysis Registry-2014", Korean Society of Nephrology, 2015. [cited 2015 September 20]. Available from: http://www.ksn.or.kr/journal/2014/index.html
- L. Morgan, "A Decade Review: Methods to Improve Adherence to the Treatment Regimen among Hemodialysis Patients", Nephrology Nursing Journal, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 299-304, 2000.
- N. G. Kutner, R. Zhang, W. M. McClellan, S. A. Cole, "Psychosocial Predictors of Non-compliance in Haemodialysis and Peritoneal Dialysis Patients", Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 93-99, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ndt/17.1.93 https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/17.1.93
- M. R. DiMatteo, "Variations in Patients' Adherence to Medical Recommendations: A Quantitative Review of 50 Years of Research", Medical Care, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 200-209, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.mlr.0000114908.90348.f9 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mlr.0000114908.90348.f9
- C. Karamanidou, J. Clatworthy, J. Weinman, R. Horne, "A Systematic Review of the Prevalence and Determinants of Nonadherence to Phosphate Binding Medication in Patients with End Stage Renal Disease", BMC Nephrology, Vol. 9, No. 1, p. 2, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2369-9-2 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2369-9-2
- L. S. Baines, R. M. Jindal, "Non-compliance in Patients Receiving Haemodialysis: An In-depth Review", Nephron, Vol. 85, No. 1, pp. 1-7, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000045622 https://doi.org/10.1159/000045622
- Y. R. Yeun, "Systematic Review of Research on Adherence among Hemodialysis Patients in Korea", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 5993-6000, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5993 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5993
- H. S. Min, E. J. Lee, "A Study of the Relationship between Compliance with Therapeutic Regimens and Physiological Parameters on Hemodialysis Patients", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 64-73, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.1.64
- M. K. Cho, M. A. Choi, "Self Care Behavior of Hemodialysis Patients", Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 107-117, 2007.
- A. Atreja, N. Bellam, S. R. Levy, "Strategies to Enhance Patient Adherence: Making it Simple", Medscape General Medicine, Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 4, 2005.
- J. H. Chun, H. K. Kang, "Self-care and Associating Factors in Hemodialysis Patients", Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 149-166, 1999.
- D. Patrick, H. G. Gordon, A. Catherine, "Patient-Reported Outcomes", Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, pp. 531-545, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9780470712184.ch17 https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470712184.ch17
- P. L. Kimmel, "Quality of Life in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: Focus on End-stage Renal Disease Treated with Hemodialysis", Seminars in Nephrology, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 68-79, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.semnephrol.2005.06.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semnephrol.2005.06.015
- Y. M. Chun, S. Y. Park, "Quality of Life and Influencing Factors related to the Health in Hemodialysis Patients", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 7, pp. 4816-4827, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4816 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4816
- J. Cleary, J. Drennan, "Quality of Life of Patients on Haemodialysis for End Stage Renal Disease", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 577-586, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03547.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03547.x
- Y. M. L, I. S. Chun, Y. M. Park, "Development of a Hemodialysis Nurse Educational Program and its Effects", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 5839-5848, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5839 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5839
- J. E. Cha, "Structural Equation Modeling of Quality of Life Focused on the Self-management Process in Patients with Hemodialysis", Unpublished doctoral thesis, Seoul National University, 2014.
- L. Cohen, "Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences", 2nd Ed, pp. 109-143, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1988.
- Y. S. Choi, "A Study On The Relationship between Perceived Social Support, and Compliance with Sick Role Behavior in Elderly Hemodialysis Patients", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, 2008.
- J. Ware, M. Kosinski, S. D. Keller, "A 12-Item Short-Form Health Survey", Medical Care, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 220-233, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199603000-00003 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199603000-00003
- R. B. White, "Adherence to the Dialysis Prescription: Partnering with Patients for Improved Outcomes", Nephrology Nursing Journal, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 432-435, 2003.
- S. D. Cohen, et al., "Social Support and Chronic Kidney Disease: An Update", Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 335-344, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.ackd.2007.04.007 https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ackd.2007.04.007
- T. E. Strandberg, et al., "Long-term Mortality after 5-year Multifactorial Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases in Middle-aged Men", The Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 266, No. 9, pp. 1225-1229, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.1991.03470090059032 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1991.03470090059032
- L. R. Martin, K. B. Haskard-Zolnierek, M. R. DiMatteo, "Health Behavior Change and Treatment Adherence: Evidence-based Guidelines for Improving Healthcare", Oxford University Press, 2010.
- C. L. McWilliam, "Patients, Persons or Partners? Involving those with Chronic Disease in their Care", Chronic Illness, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 277-292, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1742395309349315 https://doi.org/10.1177/1742395309349315
- H. Leventhal, E. A. Leventhal, R. J. Contrada, "Self-regulation, Health, and Behavior: A Perceptual-Cognitive Approach", Psychology and Health, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 717-733, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08870449808407425 https://doi.org/10.1080/08870449808407425
- Difficulties of Treatment Adherence in Adult Patients with Hemodialysis vol.21, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2018.71