- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Its Relationship with Symptoms Index, Self Efficacy and Family Support in Hemodialysis Patients
혈액투석환자의 증상지수, 자기효능감과 가족지지와의 관계
- Seo, Nam-Sook (Department of Nursing, DongShin University) ;
- Kang, Seung-Ja (Department of Nursing, Hanlyo University)
- Received : 2015.07.08
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study was conducted to investigate the prevalence, severity or impact of symptoms in hemodialysis patients and its relationship with self efficacy and family support to identify factors influencing their symptoms. A cross-sectional design was used and the subjects were 243 patients undergoing hemodialysis at local units. The patients were Dialysis Symptom Index (DSI), a questionnaire about the presence and severity of symptoms. The data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, independent t-test, Pearson coefficient correlation and multiple regression. There were significant differences in the total score of symptoms according to age and duration of hemodialysis. Symptoms score had significant negative correlations with family support (r=-.35, p<.001) and self-efficacy (r=-.16, p=.006). Family support explained 16.0% of the variance in symptoms score. Hemodialysis patients experience many distressing symptoms, which have negative effects on quality of their life. Promoting family support can help to reduce and control distressing symptoms in hemodialysis patients.
- Song HJ, Kim HJ, "Fatigue associated with kidney disease symptoms in female patients undergoing hemodialysis", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing, 14(4), pp. 474-482, 2007.
- Bandura AA, "Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological Review", 84(2), pp. 191-215, 1977. http://stanford.edu/dept/psychology/bandura/. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Kim JH, "Effects of guided imagery apply to dialysis patients, Journal of Nursing Science", Seoul National Conference. 10(2), pp. 13-17,1995.
- Song MR, "Development and effect of self-efficacy promotion program on self-care of hemodialysis patients. [Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul National University; 1999.
- Choi EY, "Prediction model of fatigue for hemodialysis patients", [Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul:Kyung Hee University; 2005.
- Choi YH. "Study on the family support act and the patient role is supportive care interventions affect behavior" [Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul:Yen-sei University; pp. 1-137, 1983.
- Kim OS, "Study on the correlation between perceived social support and the quality of life of hemodialysis patients"[master's thesis]. Seoul National University, pp. 1-73, 1993.
- Weisbord SD, Shields AM, Mor MK, Sevick MA, Homer M, Peternel J." Methodology of a randomized clinical trial of symptom management strategies in patients receiving chronic hemodialysis" the SMILE study. Contemporar Clinical Trials, 31(5),pp. 491-497, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2010.06.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2010.06.005
- Kim HK, "Study on the Fatigue Levels of Hemodialysis Patients"[master's thesis]. Seoul:Ewha Womans University Education Nursing Education, pp. 1-56, 2002.
- Murtagh FE, Addington-Hall J, Higginson IJ. "The prevalence of symptoms in end-stage renal disease: a systematic review", Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 14(1), pp. 82-99, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.ackd.2006.10.001 https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ackd.2006.10.001
- Merkus MP, Jager KJ, Dekker FW, Haan RJ, Boeschoten EW, Krediet RT, "Quality of life over time in dialysis": the Netherlands Cooperative Study on the Adequacy of Dialysis. NECOSAD Study Group, 56(2), pp. 720-728, 1999. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10432414. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1755.1999.00563.x
- Cukor Dl, Peterson RA, Cohen SD, Kimmel PL. "Psychosocial aspects of chronic disease", ESRD as a paradigmatic illness, 18(12), pp. 3042-3055, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18003775
- Davison SN, Jhangri GS. "Impact of pain and symptom burden on the health-related quality of life of hemodialysis patients", Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 39(3), pp. 477-485, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.08.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.08.008
- Weisbord SD, Fried LF, Arnold RM, Fine MJ, Levenson DJ, Peterson RA, "Prevalence, severity, and importance of physical and emotional symptoms in chronic hemodialysis patients", Journal of American Society Nephrology, 16(8), pp. 2487-2494, 2005. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15975996 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2005020157 https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2005020157
- Rambod M, Peyravi H, Sarban M.T, Rafii F, Hosseini F, "Self-efficacy in hemodialysis patients and its related factors", Journal of Nursing and Midwifery, 18(62), pp. 107-112, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08964280309596063 https://doi.org/10.1080/08964280309596063
- Bag E1, Mollaoglu M, "The evaluation of self-care and self-efficacy in patients undergoing hemodialysis", Journal of Eval Clinical Practice, 16(3), pp. 605-610, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2009.01214.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2009.01214.x
- Kim HR. "Fatigue and its related factors in patients on hemodialysis", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 26(1), pp. 53-72, 1996.
- Khalil AA, Abed MA," Perceived social support is a partial mediator of the relationship between depressive symptoms and quality of life in patients receiving hemodialysis", Archive of Psychiatric Nursing, 28, pp. 114-118, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2013.11.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2013.11.007
- Kara B, Coglar K, Kilic S. "Nonadherence withdiet and fluid restrictions and perceived social support in patients receiving hemodialysis", Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 39(3), pp. 243-248, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2007.00175.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2007.00175.x
- Tsay SL, Healstead M, "Self-care self-efficacy, depression, and quality of life among patients receiving hemodialysis in Taiwan", International Journal of Nursing Studies, 39(3), pp. 245-251, 2002. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(01)00030-X. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(01)00030-X
- Curtin RB, Bultman DC, "Thomas-Hawkins C,Walters BA, Schatell D. Hemodialysis patients'symptom experiences: effects on physical and mental functioning", Nephrology Nursing Journal, 29(6), pp. 562-574, 2002. http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/12596605.
- Mohammadi SZ, Asadifard F, Babaheidari TB. "Distressing symptoms among patients with chronic renal failure undergoing hemodialysis and its relationship with quality of life", Iran Journal of Critical Care Nursing, 6(3),pp. 189-196, 2013. http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM198502283120905. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198502283120905
- Claxton RN, Blackhall L, Weisbord SD, Holley JL. "Undertreatment of symptoms in patients on maintenance hemodialysis", Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 39(2), pp. 211-218, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.07.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.07.003
- Heiwe S, Clyne N, Dahlgren MA. "Living with chronic renal failure: patient's experiences of their physical and function capacity", Physiotherapy Research International, 8(4), pp. 167-177, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pri.287 https://doi.org/10.1002/pri.287
- Weisbord SD, Fried LF, Arnold RM, Rotondi AJ, Fine MJ, Levenson DJ, "Development of a symptom assessment instrument for chronic hemodialysis patients: the dialysis symptom index", Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 27(3), pp. 226-240, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2003.07.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2003.07.004
- Barrett BJ, Vavasour HM, Major A, Parfrey PS, "Clinical and psychological correlates of somatic symptoms in patients on dialysis", Nephron, 55(1), pp. 10-5, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000185911 https://doi.org/10.1159/000185911
- Yu IC, Jeng YH, Tsai YF. "Symptom cluster among hemodialysis patients in Taiwan", Applied Nursing Research, 25(3), pp. 190-196, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2010.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2010.11.002
- Jablonski AA. "The multidimensional characteristics of symptoms reported by end-stage renal disease patients on hemodialysis", Nephrology Nursing Journal, 34, pp. 29-37, 2007. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/552045_7.
- Green JA, Mor MK, Shields AM, Sevik MA, Palevsky PM, Fine MJ, "Renal provider perceptions and practice patterns regarding the management of pain, sexual dysfunction", and depression in hemodialysis patients. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 15(2), pp. 163-167, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2011.0284 https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2011.0284
- Takaki Jl, Nishi T, Shimoyama H, Inada T, Matsuyama N, Kumano H, "Interactions among a stressor, self-efficacy, coping with stress, depression, and anxiety in maintenance hemodialysis patients", Behavioral Medicine, 29(3), pp. 107-12, 2003. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15206829. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08964280309596063 https://doi.org/10.1080/08964280309596063
- Resilience as a Moderator and Mediator of the Relationship between Symptom Experience and Quality of Life in Hemodialysis Patients vol.31, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2019.31.1.68