- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Form-Focused Instruction, Learners' Perceptions, and Second Language Acquisition
형태초점교수활동, 학습자의 인식도, 그리고 제2언어습득
- Hwang, Hee Jeong (Liberal Arts School, Jungwon University)
- 황희정 (중원대학교 교양학부)
- Received : 2015.09.11
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of the study was two folded: to examine whether form-focused instruction (FFI) with corrective feedback (CF) is effective for the acquisition of the target linguistic forms and to find out the extent to which of the students' perceptions as well as their attitudes towards English instruction that they received. Tests and questionnaires were implemented to 122 Korean EFL students from eight classes enrolled in an English communication course. They were randomly assigned to three groups: the input-based group, who received typographical input enhancement materials, so-called the TIE group, the output-based group, who performed dictogloss tasks, so-called the DICT group, and the control group (CG). The data analysis was made on both tests and questionnaires by using SPSS 21.0 for Windows. The study found that different types of FFI with CF contributed to the improvement of students' grammatical knowledge and both the TIE and DICT task group students positively changed their perceptions and understanding as well as their attitudes towards the English instruction given, and students in all groups preferred pair work activities. In addition, most of the TIE and DICT students showed their interest and satisfaction with English class, whereas the CG group students did not. Based on the findings, this study suggested that well-planned and properly-chosen FFI in the form of pair work activities should be applied in classrooms with consideration of students' instructional preference in Korean EFL contextual settings.
- L. White, Universal Grammar and Second Language Acquisition. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/lald.1
- J. Truscott, "What's Wrong with Oral Grammar Correction" The Canadian Modern Language Review, Vol. 55, pp. 437-455, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.55.4.437 https://doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.55.4.437
- S. Krashen, Second Language Acquisition and Second Language Learning. Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1981.
- R. Dekeyser, "Beyond Focus on Form: Cognitive Perspectives on Learning and Practicing Second Language Grammar", In C. Doughty, J. Williams (eds.), Focus on Form in Classroom Second Language Acquisition, pp. 42-63, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- C. Doughty, "Second Language Instruction Does Make a Difference: Evidence from an Empirical Study on SL Relativization", Studies in Second Language Acquisition, Vol. 13, pp. 431-469, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0272263100010287 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0272263100010287
- C. Doughty, J. Varela, "Communicative Focus on Form" In C. Doughty, J. Williams (eds.), Focus on Form in Classroom Second Language Acquisition, pp. 114-138, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- R. Ellis, "Second Language Acquisition and the Structural Syllabus", TESOL Quarterly, Vol. 27, pp. 91-113, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3586953 https://doi.org/10.2307/3586953
- S. Gass, "Grammar Instruction, Selective Attention, and Learning", In R. Phillipson, E. Kellerman, L. Selinker, M. Sharwood Smith, M. Swain (eds.), Foreign/Second Language Pedagogy Research, pp. 134-141, Clevedon: Multilingual Matters, 1991.
- P. Robinson, Consciousness, Rules, and Instructed Second Language Acquisition, New York/Frankfurt: Peter Lang, 1996a.
- P. Robinson, "Learning Simple and Complex Rules under Implicit, Incidental Rule-Search Conditions, and Instructed Conditions", Studies in Second Language Acquisition, Vol. 18, pp. 27-67, Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/s0272263100014674 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0272263100014674
- M. Long, "Focus on Form: A Design Feature in Language Teaching Methodology", In K. de Bot, R. Ginsberg, C. Kramsc (eds.), Foreign Language Research in Cross-Cultural Perspective, pp. 39-52, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/sibil.2.07lon
- B. J. Kim, "The Effects of Different Types of Form-Focused Instruction on Korean University Students' Writing Accuracy", English Language & Literature Teaching, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 63-90, 2007.
- S. H. Seong, S. K. Lee, "Effects of the Different Levels of Explicitness of Focus-on-Form Techniques on the Acquisition of the Relative Clauses by Korean Middle School English Learners", Korean Journal of English Language and Linguistics, Vol.13, No. 3, pp. 549-570, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15738/kjell.13.3.201309.549
- J. I. Woo, "Teaching Writing through Context-Based Explicit Grammar Instruction and Error Feedback", Unpublished doctoral thesis, Pusan National University, 2008.
- S. Y. Choi, 'The Effects of Form Focused Instruction Based on Three Functions of Output", Unpublished master's thesis. Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, 2009.
- S. H. Jin, "A Study on the Effects of Dictogloss on English Writing in Korean Middle School", Studies in English Education, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 115-134, 2013.
- H. Chung, D. Kim, "Effects of Input Processing and Output-Enriched Consciousness-Raising Instruction on Learning Different types of English Verb Forms", English Language Teaching, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 27-48, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17936/pkelt.2008.20.3.002 https://doi.org/10.17936/pkelt.2008.20.3.002
- S. J. Kim, J. H. Ma, "The Effects of Dictation and Dictogloss in the High School English Class: Focusing on English Collocation.", English21, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 259-278, 2014.
- H. K. Cha, "Comparative Study on the Language Anxiety Levels and Factors in Different English Calss Environments", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No.10, pp. 6014-6028, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6014 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6014
- I. K. Kim, J. A. Sung, "Learning Style, Time Management Behavior and Self-Directed Learning of Nursing Student", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 7, pp. 4621-4631, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4621 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4621