- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Thermal Design of a Cooling Coil for Building Air Conditioning
건물 공조용 냉수 코일의 열 설계
- Kim, Nae-Hyun (Department of Mechanical System Engineering, University of Incheon) ;
- Byun, Ho-Won (Department of Mechanical System Engineering, University of Incheon)
- Received : 2015.06.10
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.31
The surface of the cooling coil becomes dry, wet or partially wet depending on the operating condition. Thus, a proper design of the cooling coil should include a heat transfer analysis on dry, wet or partially wet surfaces. In this study, an elementary model, which analyzes the cooling on an elementaty basis, is proposed. Comparison of the predictions of the model with experimental data of the cooling coil revealed that heat transfer rates were predicted within 10.1%, airside pressure drop within 11.1% and sensible heat ratio within 5.7%. The model was used to investigate the effect of water circuitory on cooling coil performance.
- AHRI Standard 410, "Forced circulation air cooling and air heating coils", Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute, 1981.
- D. R. Mirth and S. Ramadhyani, "Prediction of cooling coil performance under condensing conditions", Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow, Vol. 14, pp. 391-400, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0142-727X(93)90013-D https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-727X(93)90013-D
- R. L. Webb and N. H. Kim, Principles of Enhanced Heat Transfer, 2nd Edition, Taylor and Francis Pub, 2005.
- C. C. Wang, "Recent advances in fin-and-tube heat exchangers", Int. J. Air-Cond. Refrig, Vol. 19, pp. 291-301, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S2010132511000624 https://doi.org/10.1142/S2010132511000624
- W. Pirompugd, C. C. Wang and S. Wongwises, "A review on reduction method for heat and mass transfer characteristics of fin-and-tube heat exchangers under dehumidifying conditions", Int. J. Heat Mass Trans, Vol. 52, pp. 2370-2378, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2008.10.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2008.10.019
- C. C. Wang, and C. T. Chang, "Heat and mass transfer for plate fin-and-tube heat exchangers, with and without hydrophilic coating", Int. J. Heat Mass Trans, Vol. 41, pp. 3109-3120, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00060-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(98)00060-X
- C. C. Wang, W. S. Lee, W. T. Sheu and Y. T. Chang, "A comparison of the airside performance of fin-and-tube heat exchangers in wet conditions; with and without hydrophilic coating", Applied Thermal Eng, Vol. 22, pp. 267-278, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1359-4311(01)00090-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-4311(01)00090-4
- J. Min, X. Wu, L. Shen and F. Gao, "Hydrophilic treatment and performance evaluation of copper finned tube evaporator", Applied Thermal Eng, Vol. 31, pp. 2936-2942, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.05.024 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.05.024
- C. C. Wang, J. S. Liaw and B. C. Yang, "Airside performance of herringbone wavy fin-and-tube heat exchangers-Data with larger diameter tube", Int. J. Heat Mass Trans, Vol. 54, pp. 1024-1029, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2010.11.038 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2010.11.038
- Y. C. Liu, S. Wongwises, W. J. Chang and C. C. Wang, "Air-side performance of fin-and-tube heat exchangers in dehumidifying conditions-Data with larger diameter", Int. J. Heat Mass Trans, Vol. 53, pp. 1603-1608, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2009.12.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2009.12.015
- N.-H. Kim, K.-J. Lee, J.-C. Han and B.-N. Choi, "Thermal performance of sine wave fin-and-oval tube heat exchangers", Int. J. Air-Cond. Refrig., Vol. 21, No. 1, 1350008, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S2010132513500089 https://doi.org/10.1142/S2010132513500089
- N.-H. Kim, K.-J. Lee and Y.-B. Jeong, "Airside performance of oval tube heat exchangers having sine wave fins under wet condition, Applied. Therm. Eng., Vol. 66, pp. 580-589, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.02.042 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.02.042
- A. Bejan and A. D. Kraus, Heat Transfer Handbook, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2003.
- T. E. Schmidt, "Heat transfer calculations for extended surfaces," J. of ASRE, Refrigeration Engineering, Vol. 4, pp. 351-357, 1949.
- V. Gnielinski, "New equations for heat and mass transfer in turbulent pipe flows", Int. Chem. Eng, Vol. 16, pp.359-368, 1976.
- B. S. Petukhov, "Heat transfer and friction in turbulent pipe flow with variable physical properties", Advances in Heat Transfer, Eds. T. F. Irvine and J, P, Hartnett, Vol. 6, Academic Press, 1970. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0065-2717(08)70153-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0065-2717(08)70153-9
- T. H. Kuehn, J. W. Ramsey and J. L. Threlkeld, Thermal Environmental Engineering, Prentice Hall Pub., 1998.