- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Depression, Anxiety, and Stress Between Korea Elders and New Zealand Elders
한국 노인과 뉴질랜드 노인의 우울, 불안 및 스트레스 비교 연구
- Received : 2015.06.11
- Accepted : 2015.09.11
- Published : 2015.09.30
This study was done to identify differences in depression, anxiety, and stress in Korea elders (n=55) and New Zealand elders (n=55). Methods: This study was conducted from January 24th, 2013 to February 10th, 2013. We individually matched Korea elders to New Zealand elders based on age and sex, and assessed a questionnaire regarding depression, anxiety, and stress. Results: The average depress score for the Korea elders (13.67/42) was significantly different to the average for the New Zealand elders (4.70/42). The average anxiety score for the Korea elders (11.42/42) was significantly different to the average score for the New Zealand elders (4.92/42). The average stress score for the Korea elders (13.54/42) was significantly different to the average score for the New Zealand elders (5.40/42). The depression score showed a significant relationship with anxiety and stress. There was significantly positive correlation between anxiety and stress. The study suggests that should be considered in developing nursing intervention to manage depress, anxiety, and stress of the Korea elderly people.
- Statistics Korea. http://kostat.go.kr. (accessed March, 1, 2011)
- B. K. Kim, Y. J. Ha, S. S. Choi. "A Vertical Study on the Factors Which are Influenced on Depression of the Aged: Focusing on Physical.Psychological.Social Factors", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 115-132, 2014.
- C. H. Shin. "The Study on Effects of Objective Life Attributes on Depression of Elderly Mediated by Life-satisfaction", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 453-469, 2010.
- Beck, A. T., Epstein, N., Brown, G., Steer, R. A. "An inventory for measuring clinical anxiety: psychometric properties" Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol. 56, pp. 893-89, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.6.893 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.6.893
- Lenze, E. J., Wetherell, J. L. "A lifespanview ofanxietydisorders", Dialoguesin Clinical Neuroscience, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 381-399, 2011.
- J. Y. Lim. "A Study on the Development of Korean Elderly's Anxiety Scale", Journal of Family Relations, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 187-203, 2014.
- Allgulander, C., Lavori, P.W. "Causes of death among 936 elderly patients with 'pure' anxiety neurosis in Stockholm County, Sweden, and in patients with depressive neurosis or both diagnoses", Compr Psychiatry, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 299-302, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0010-440X(93)90014-U https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-440X(93)90014-U
- J. A. Kang, J. S. Kim. "The Relationship between Stress and Successful Aging among the Korean Elderly: The Role of Emotional Regulation Difficulties and Meaning of Life", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 151-168, 2014.
- H. S. Kim, B. S. Kim. "Verification of the Structural Relationship Model of Suicidal Ideation to Its Related Variables". Korean journal of counseling and psychology, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 201-219, 2008.
- K. R. Shin, J. S. Kim. "A Study on the Relationship between Stress and Depression in Elderly Women", Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 29-37, 2003.
- Phillips, A. C., Carroll, D., Der, G. "Negative life events and symptoms of depression and anxiety: stress causation and/or stress generation", Anxiety Stress Coping, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 357-71, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10615806.2015.1005078 https://doi.org/10.1080/10615806.2015.1005078
- M. S. Kim, "Comparison of the facilities for senior citizens in Australia, New Zealand and Korea", Unpublished master thesis, The Graduate School of Kyungwoon University of Gumi, 2004.
- Korean Dictionary; 'New Zealand', http://ko.wikipedia.org, Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- W. M. Kang, "The Politics of Welfare State Retrenchment and New Zealand's Superannuation Reform", Korea Social Policy Review, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 49-82, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17000/kspr.20.1.201303.49 https://doi.org/10.17000/kspr.20.1.201303.49
- Lovibond, P. F., Lovibond, S. H. "The structure of negative emotional states: comparison of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS) with the Beck Depression and Anxiety Inventories.", Behav Res Ther., Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 335-43, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(94)00075-U https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(94)00075-U
- Rowe, J. W., Kahn, R. L. "Human aging: usual and successful", Science, 237(4811): 143-149; 1987 Jul 10; Review. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.3299702 https://doi.org/10.1126/science.3299702
- H. G. Kang, S. K. Park, B. Y. Kim, J. E. Lee, E. J. Jang. "Comparative Study on Welfare Service Management System -With Special Focus on Australia, New Zealand and the UK-", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2011. http://repository.kihasa.re.kr:8080/handle/201002/7894
- A Report of KIHASA, 2012. 6. 21. https://www.kihasa.re.kr/html/jsp/kihasa/news/event/view.jsp?bid=20&ano=426&keyfield=&key=&page=10. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- A. R. Eom. "A Study of the Influencing Factors on Depression in the Elderly Women Living Alone", Unpublished master thesis, The Graduate School of University of Seou, 2012.
- H. J. Lee, S. K. Kahng, J. Y. Lee. "The Effects of Socioeconomic Position and Health Behavior on Geriatric Depressive Symptom", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 1129-1145, 2008.
- O. N. Kim. "The Old's Health, Social Support and Depression in Rural Community", Korean Journal of Family Welfare, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 5-22, 2003.
- K. S. Oh. "Geriatic Anxiety Disorder", Journal of Korean Geriatirc Psychiatry, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 61-64, 2006.
- Y. J. Lee, T. H. Kim. "A study on the buffering effect of social support on the stress of the elderly who lives alone", J Korea Gerontol Soc, Vol. 3, pp. 79-93, 1999.
- J. Y. Lim, G. Y. Jeon. "A Study of Variables Influencing Subjective Well-being in the Elderly", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 257-272, 2012.
- M. K. Jung, K. M. Lee. "A Path Analysis of Stress, Depression, Optimism, and Resilience in the Elderly", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 629-642, 2010.
- K. E. Park, M. H. Kwon, Y. E. Kwon. " Correlation among Depression, Death Anxiety, and Quality of Life of Aged Women ", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 527-538, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.527 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.527
- Krause, N. M. "Stressful events and life satisfaction among elderly men and women", J Gerontol., Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 84-92, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geronj/46.2.S84
- Harwood, D. M., Hawton, K., Hope, T, Harriss L., Jacoby, R. "Life problems and physical illness as risk factors for suicide in older people: a descriptive and case-control study", Psych Med, Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 1265-74, Epub 2006. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291706007872