- Volume 48 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Screen of Green Manure Crops for Cultivation on Agricultural Land with Spring Season in the Central Regions of Korea
- Cho, Hyeon-Suk (National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Seo, Myung-Chul (National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Kim, Jun-Hwan (National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Sang, Wan-gyu (National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Shin, Pyeong (National Institute of Crop Science) ;
- Lee, Geon Hwi (National Institute of Crop Science)
- Received : 2015.12.10
- Accepted : 2015.12.23
- Published : 2015.12.31
The green manure crops are returned to soil when the plants are still green. The green manure crops play a role in reducing chemical fertilizers, improvement of soil fertility, reduction of soil erosion, weed control, and landscapes effect. Typical green manure crops are barley green manure, hairy vetch, chines milk vetch and clovers. We sowed 49 species of green manure crops in upland soil to increase the usage of green manure crops. We searched the effectiveness of green manure yield, C/N ratio, soil mulching, and landscape effect. The green manure crops that have
- Cho, H.S., W.Y. Park, K.Y. Seong, C.G. Kim, T.S. Park, and J.D. Kim, 2010, Effect of green manure barley and hairy vetch on soil characteristics and rice yield in paddy, CNU J. of Agric. Sci. 38(4):703-709.
- Cho, H.S., K.Y. Seong, T.S. Park, M.C. Seo, M.H. Kim, and H.W. Kang, 2014, The characteristics of growth and green manure yield by different kinds of landscape crops cultivated in summer in upland soil, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 47(5):324-331. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2014.47.5.324
- Daimon, H., and S. Kotoura, 2000, Incorporation of crotalaria spectabilis grown at a high seeding rate inhibits the growth of the succeeding wheat crop. J. Agron. and Crop Sci. 185:137-144. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-037x.2000.00425.x
- Germani, G., and C. Plenchette, 2004, Potential of Crotalaria species as green manure crops for the management of pathogenic nematodes and beneficial mycorrhizal fungi, Plant Soil. 266(1-2):333-342. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-005-2281-9
- Jeon W.T., K.Y. Seong, M.T. Kim, G.J. Oh, I.S. Oh, and U.G. Kang, 2010, Changes of soil physical properties by glomalin concentration and rice yield using different green manure crops in paddy, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 43(2):119-123.
- Kang J.G., S.H. Lee, K.B. Lee, K.D. Lee, G.H. Gil, J.H. Ryu, K.H. Park, S. H. Lee, H. S. Bae, S.A Hwang, and S.W. Hwang. 2013, Effect of Cultivation and Application of Green Manure Crop on Soil Physico-chemical Properties in Saemangeum Reclaimed Tidal Land, Korean J. Int. Agric. 26(1):54-61.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs(MAFRA), 2015, http://www.mafra.go.kr
- NIAST. 2000. Analytical methods of soil and plant. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, RDA, Suwon, Korea.
- Petersen, J., and A. Rover (2005) Comparison of sugar beet cropping systems with dead and living mulch using a glyphosate-resistant hybrid. J. Agron. Crop Sci. 191:55-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-037X.2004.00134.x
- Power JF, Zachariassen JA. 1993. Relative nitrogen utilization by legume cover crop species at three soil temperatures. Agron. J. 85:1134-140.
- Park S.T., W.T. Jeon, M.T Kim, K.Y. Sung, J.H. Ku, I.S. OH, B.K. Lee, Y.H. Yoon, J.K. Lee, K.H. Lee, and J.H. Yu, 2008, Understanding of environmental friendly agriculture and rice production using green manure crops RDA, NICS, Sammi, Suwon, 20-21.
- Ramos, M.E., E. Benitez, P.A. Garcia, and A.B. Robles (2010) Cover crops under different management vs. frequent tillage in almond orchards in semiarid conditions: Effects on soil quality. Appl. Soil Ecol. 44:6-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2009.08.005
- Rich, J.R., and G.S. Rahi. 1995. Suppression of Meloidogyne javanica and M. incognita on tomato with ground seed of castor, Crotalaria, hairy indigo and wheat. Nematoropica 25:159-164.
- RDA. 2003. Standard measurement and analysis in agricultural research and development, RDA, Suwon.
- Rural Deveopment Administration (RDA) 2009a. Studies on landscape crops of east coast area in gangwon province(3th ed.), Rural Deveopment Administration, Suwon, korea:1-73.
- Rural Development Administration (RDA). 2009b. Study of Environment-friendly Fertilizer Reduction using Green Manure Crops(4th), RDA, Suwon.
- Sarantonio, M. and T. W. Scott. 1988. Tillage effects on availability of nitrogen to corn following a winter green manure crop. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 85:134-140.
- Song B.H., K.A. Lee, W.T. Jeon, M.T. Kim, H.S. Cho, I.S. Oh, C.G. Kim, and U.G. Kang, 2010, Effects of green manure crops of legume and gramineae on growth responses and yields in rice cultivation with respect to environment friendly agriculture, Korea J. Crop Sci. 155(2):144-150.
- Treadwell, D.D., and Alligood, M., 2007, Sunn hemp (Crotalaria juncea L.); A summer cover crop for Florida vegatable producers, University of Florida/IFAS, http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu.
- Wagger, M. G. 1989. Cover crop management and nitrogen rate in relation to growth and yield of no-till corn. Agron. J. 81:533-538. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1989.00021962008100030028x
- Wang, K.H., B. S. Sipes, and D. P. Schmitt. 2002. Crotalaria as a cover crop for nematode management: a review. Nematropica 32:35-57.
- Yang C.H., J.H. Ryu, T.K. Kim, S.B. Lee, J.D. Lee, N.H. Beak, W.Y. Choi, and S.J. Kim, 2009, Effect of green manure crops Incorporation with rice cultivation on soil fertility improvement in paddy field, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 42(5):371-378.
- The Effect of Soil Textures on the Flowering characteristics and Green Manure Yield of Crimson Clover (Trifolium incarnatum L.) in Upland Soil vol.49, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.6.705
- Effects of Green Manures and Complemental Fertilization on Growth and Nitrogen Use Efficiency of Chinese Cabbages Cultivated in Organic Systems vol.26, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2018.26.4.731