- Volume 35 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Freeze-dried Mulberry on Antioxidant Activities and Fermented Characteristics of Yogurt during Refrigerated Storage
- Sung, Jung-Min ;
- Kim, Young-Boong ;
- Kum, Jun-Seok ;
- Choi, Yun-Sang ;
- Seo, Dong-Ho ;
- Choi, Hyun-Wook ;
- Park, Jong-Dae
- Received : 2015.04.15
- Accepted : 2015.10.26
- Published : 2015.12.31
This study investigated the effect of added freeze-dried mulberry fruit juice (FDMJ) (1, 3 and 5%) on the antioxidant activity and fermented characteristic of yogurt during refrigerated storage. A decrease in pH of yogurt and increase in acidity was observed during fermentation. The yogurts with FDMJ exhibited faster rate of pH reduction than control. Initial lactic acid bacteria count of yogurt was 6.49-6.94 Log CFU/g and increased above 9 Log CFU/g in control and 1% in FDMJ yogurt for 24 h. The total polyphenol and anthocyanin content of FDMJ yogurt was higher than that of control due to the presence of phytochemical contents in mulberry. Moreover, antioxidant activity such as DPPH and reducing power was highest 5% FDMJ yogurt. During cold storage, pH decreased or remained constant in all yogurts with values ranging from 4.08 to 4.78 units. In sensory evaluation, the score of 1% FDMJ yogurt was ranked higher when compared with other yogurts. It is proposed that mulberry fruit juice powder can be used to improve sensory evaluation and enhance functionality of yogurt.
antioxidant activity;freeze dried mulberry;polyphenol content;sensory evaluation;yogurt
- Yildiz, O. and Eyduran, S. P. (2009) Functional components of berry fruits and their usage in food technologies. African J. Agric. Res. 4, 422-426.
- Yuksel, Z., Avci, E., and Erdem, Y. K. (2010) Characterization of binding interactions between green tea flavanoids and milk proteins. Food Chem. 121, 450-456. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.12.064
- Shabboo, A. and Ahmad, S. B. (2011) Changes in yogurt fermentation charactristics, and antioxidant potential and in vitro inhibition of angiotensin-1 converting enzyme upon the inclusion of peppermint, dill and basil. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 44, 1458-1464. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2011.01.019
- Shah, N. P. (2000) Effect of milk-derived bioactives: an overview. Brit. J. Nutr. 84, 3-10.
- Sung, Y. M., Cho, J. R., Oh, M. S., Kim D. C., and In, M. J. (2005) Preparation and quality characteristics of curd yogurt added with chlorella. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 48, 60-64
- Varga, L. (2006) Effect of acacia (Robinia pseudo-acacia L.) honey on the characteristic microflora of yogurt during refrigerated storage. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 108, 272-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2005.11.014
- Teng, H. and Lee, W. Y. (2014) Optimization of drying conditions for quality semi-dried mulberry fruit (Morus alba L.) using response surface methodology. Curr. Res. Agric. Life Sci. 32, 67-73. https://doi.org/10.14518/crals.2014.32.2.011
- Thomson, J. L., Lopetchrat, K., and Drake, M, A. (2007) Preferences for commercial strawberry drinkable yogurts among African American, Caucasian, and Hispanic consumers in the United States. J. Dairy Sci. 90, 4974-4987. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0313
- Tseng, A. and Zhao Y. (2013) Wine grape pomace as antioxidant dietary fibre for enhancing nutritional value and improving storability of yogurt and salad dressing. Food Chem. 138, 356-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.09.148
- Yang J. W., Han D. S., Lee C. H., Park, S. J., and Kim Y. E. (2014) Evaluation on the quality of fresh, conventionally heated and ohmically heated mulberry fruit juice. J. East Soc. Dietary Life 24, 80-91.
- Yawadio R. and Morita, N. (2007) Color enhancing effect of carboxylic acids on anthocyanins. Food Chem. 105, 421-427. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.12.066
- Kim, E. O., Lee, Y. J., Leem, H. H., Seo, I. H., Yu, M. H., Kang, D. H., and Choi, S. W. (2010) Comparison of nutritional and functional constituents, and physicochemical characteristics of mulberry from seven different Morus alba L. cultivars. Korean J. Food Nutr. 39, 1467-1475. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1467
- Lee, A. C. and Hong, Y. H. (2010) Development of functional yogurts prepared with mulberries and mulberry tree leaves. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 30, 649-654. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.4.649
- Madigan, M. T., Martinko, J. M., and Parker, J. (2003) Brock biology of microorganisms. 10th ed. Prentice Hall, New York, NY, USA. pp. 504-506.
- Lee, H. W., Shin, D. H., and Lee, W. C. (1998) Morphological and chemical characteristics of mulberry (Morus) fruit with varietes. Korean J Seric Sci. 40, 1-7.
- Lee, J. H. and Hwang, H. J. (2006) Quality characteristics of curd yogurt with Rubus coreanum Miquel juice. Korean J. Culinary Res. 12, 195-205.
- Lee, N. Y. and Lee, M. J. (2014) Effect of colored barley flours on quality characteristics of fermented yogurt by Lactobacillus spp. Korean J. Crop Sci. 59, 66-72. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2014.59.1.066
- Michael, M., Phebus, R. K., and Schmidt, K. A. (2010) Impact of a plant extract on the viability of Lactobacillus delbrueckii spp. bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophiles in nonfat yogurt. Int. Dairy J. 20, 665-672. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2010.03.005
- Ostlie, H. M., Treimo, J., and Narvhus, J. A. (2003) Effect of temperature on growth and metabolism of probiotic bacteria in milk. Int. Dairy J. 15, 989-997.
- SAS (2002) SAS/STAT software for PC. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Dubois, M., Gilles, K. J., and Smith, F. (1956) Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal. Chem. 28, 356-361. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60111a041
- Gilliland, S. E. (1989) Acidophilus milk products, review of potential benefits to consumer. J. Dairy Sci. 72, 2483-2489. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(89)79389-9
- Gerasopoulos, D. and Stavorulakis, G. (1997) Quality characteristics of four mulberry (Morus sp.) cultivars in the area of China, Greece. J. Sci. Food Agric. 73, 261-264. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199702)73:2<261::AID-JSFA724>3.0.CO;2-S
- Jaziri, I., Slama, M. B., Mhadhbi, H., Urdaci, M. C., and Hamdi, M. (2009) Effect of green and blaci teas (Camelia sinensis L.) on the characteristic miroflora of yogurt during fermentation and refrigerated storage. Food Chem. 112, 614-620. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.06.017
- Giusti, M. M. and Wrolstad, R. E. (1996) Radish anthocyanin extract as a natural red colorant for maraschino cherries. J. Food Sci. 61, 688-694. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb12182.x
- Grace, M, H., Ribnicky, D. M., Kuhn, P., Poulev, A., Logendra, S., Youself, G. G., Raskin, I., and Lila, M. A. (2009) Hypoglycemic activity of a novel anthocyanin-rich formulation from lowbush blueberry, Vaccinium angustifolium Aiton. Phytomedicine 16, 406-415. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2009.02.018
- Hong, W., Guohua, C., and Ronald, L. (1997) Oxygen radical absorbing capacity if anthocyanins. J. Agric. Food Chem. 45, 304-309. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960421t
- Jeon, H. L, Hong, Y. P., Lee, J. H., Kim, H. D., and Kim M. R. (2012) Antioxidant activities and quality characteristics of mulberry concentrate, freeze-dried mulberry, and pomace. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 41, 1402-1408. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.10.1402
- Bae, I. H., Hong, K. R., Oh, D. H., Park, J. R., and Choi, S.H. (2000) Fermentation characteristics of set-type yogurt from milk added with mugwort extract. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 20, 21-29.
- Choi, Y. S., Jeong, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Kim, H. W., Paik, H. D., and Kim, C. J. (2008) Effects of dietary fiber from rice bran on the quality characteristics of emulsion-type sausages. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 28, 14-20. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.1.14
- Billard, I., Mekki, S., Ouadi, A., and Gaillard, C. (2007) TTA solvation kinetics in the ionic liquid BumimTf2N. Comptes Rendus Chimie. 10, 1117-1121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crci.2007.04.007
- Blois, M. S. (1958) Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181, 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Chena, P. N., Chu, S. C., Chiou, H. L., Kuo, W. H., Chiang, C. L., and Hsieh, Y. S. (2006) Mulberry anthocyanins, cyaniding 3-rutinoside and cyaniding 3-glucoside, exhibited and inhibitiory effect on the migration and invasion of human lung cancer cell line. Cancer Lett. 235, 248-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2005.04.033
- Dalgleish, D. G. and Law, A. J. R. (1988) pH-induced dissociation of bovine casein micelles. I. Analysis of liberated caseins. J. Dairy Res. 55, 529-538. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900033306
- The Microencapsulation of Maqui (Aristotelia chilensis (Mol.) Stuntz) Juice by Spray-Drying and Freeze-Drying Produces Powders with Similar Anthocyanin Stability and Bioaccessibility vol.23, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23051227