- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Soil-Structure Interaction Analysis for Base-Isolated Nuclear Power Plants Using an Iterative Approach
반복법을 이용한 면진적용 원전구조물의 지반-구조물 상호작용 해석
- Received : 2014.07.15
- Accepted : 2014.09.12
- Published : 2015.01.01
The nuclear accident due to the recent earthquake in Japan has triggered awareness of the importance of safety with regard to nuclear power plants (NPPs). An earthquake is one of the most important parameters which governs the safety of NPPs among external events. Application of a base isolation system for NPPs can reduce the risk for earthquakes. At present, a soil-structure interaction (SSI) analysis is essential in the seismic design of NPPs in consideration of the ground structure interaction. In the seismic analysis of the base-isolated NPP, it is restrictive to consider the nonlinear properties of seismic isolation devices due to the linear analysis of the SSI analysis programs, such as SASSI. Thus, in this study, SSI analyses are performed using an iterative approach considering the material nonlinearity of the isolators. By performing the SSI analysis using an iterative approach, the nonlinear properties of isolators can be considered. The difference between the SSI analysis results without iteration and SSI with iteration using SASSI is noticeable. The results of the SSI analysis using an effective linear (non-iterative) approach underestimate the spectral acceleration because the effective linear model cannot consider the nonlinear properties of isolators. The results of the SSI analysis show that the horizontal response of the base-isolated NPP is significantly reduced.
Base isolation;Soil-Structure Interaction (SSI);Iterative approach;SASSI2010
- Lysmer J, Tabatabaie-Raissi M, Tajirain F, Vandahi S, Ostadan F. System for Analysis of Soil-Structure Interaction-User's manual. U.C. Berkeley;c1988.
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Standard Review Plan (NUREG-0800), 3.7.1 Seismic Design Parameters, Revision 3, 2007.
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Standard Review Plan (NUREG-0800), 3.7.2 Seismic System Analysis, Revision 3. c2007.
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Regulatory Guide 1.60, Design Response Spectra for Nuclear Power Plants, Revision 1. c1973.
- KEPCO E&C Computer Program OPTIME. Program No. E-P-CE-1043-1.0. KEPCO;c2004.
- Kramer SL. Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River. NJ. c1996.
- Casciati F. Stochastic Dynamics of Hysteretic Media. Structural Safety. 1989;6:259-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4730(89)90026-X
- Eem SH, Jung HJ, Kim MK, Choi IK. Seismic Fragility Evaluation of Isolated NPP Containment Structure Considering Soil-Structure Interaction Effect. 2013;17(2):53-59. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2013.17.2.053
- Caughy TK. Stochastic Equivalent Linearization Techniques. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 1963;35(11):1706-1711. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1918794
- Drosos VA, Sitar N, Zhou Z, Mahin S. Investigation of Seismic Isolation Technology Applied to the APR 1400 Nuclear Power Plant. Vol.3;Effects of Soil-Structure Interaction on Isolated NPP. Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center;c2014.
- Evaluation of the Soil-structure Interaction Effect on Seismically Isolated Nuclear Power Plant Structures vol.20, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2016.20.6.379
- Influence of Radius of Central Soil Column in POINT Module of the SASSI Program on Seismic Response of Foundation pp.1559-808X, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2016.1264321
Supported by : 지식경제부