- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Numerical Study of the Effect of Small Passenger Car's Grille Shape on the Aerodynamic Performance
소형 승용 차량의 그릴 형상이 차량의 공력 성능에 미치는 영향에 관한 수치해석 연구
- Received : 2014.07.02
- Accepted : 2014.09.02
- Published : 2015.01.01
A numerical parametric study has been accomplished to figure out the effect of grille shape built in a small passenger car on the aerodynamic performance such as drag and mass flow rate through CRFM(Condenser Radiator Fan Module). Three grille opening parameters and three grille mesh parameters are selected and adopted to a simple shape passenger car model. This research will provide a design guideline for grille opening geometry and mesh shape in the grille. FLUENT, which is very well known commercial code, hires k-
Small passenger car;CRFM;Numerical analysis;Grille opening;Grille mesh;Aerodynamic performance;Flow rate
- M. D'Hondt and P. Gillieron, "Aerodynamic Drag and Flow Rate through Engine Compartments of Motor Vehicles," AIAA 2010-4955, 2010.
- K. Gosse, M. Gonzalez and P. Paranthoen, "Mixing in the Three-dimensional Wake of an Experimental Modelled Vehicle," Environ. Fluid Mech., Vol.11, Issue 6, pp.573-589, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10652-011-9219-y
- B. Conan, J. Anthonie and P. Planquart, "Experimental Aerodynamic Study of a Car-type Bluff Body," Exp. Fluids, Vol.50, Issue 5, pp.1273-1284, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-010-0992-z
- N. Tortosa and K. Karbon, "Aerodynamic Development of the 2011 Chevrolet Volt," SAE 2011-01-0168, 2011.
- W. Ding, J. Williams and D. Karanth, "CFD Application in Automotive Front-end Design," SAE 2006-01-0337, 2006.
- J. Levin and R. Rigdal, Aerodynamic Analysis of Drag Reduction Devises on the Underbody for SAAB 9-3 by Using CFD, M. S. Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, 2011.
- Y. Yoo, S. Kim and J. Ha, "Parametric Study on Correlativity of Drag Coefficient to Front End Air Flow by Front Spoiler Lip Design," KSAE Annual Conference Proceedings, pp.1009-1014, 2010.
- Y. Kim, S. Kang, S. Kim, W. Kwon and J. Ha, "FEAF and Aerodynamics Study to Define front Opening of Mini Vehicle in Style Development Stage Using Kriging Method," KASE Annual Conference Proceedings, pp.527-531, 2011.
- H. Jama, S. Watkins and C. Dixon, "Reduced Drag and Adequate Cooling for Passenger Vehicles Using Variable Area Front Air Intakes," SAE 2006-01-0342, 2006.
- R. Mamat and A. M. Mahrous, "CFD Analysis of Air Intake System with Negative Pressure on Intake Grill," SAE 2008-01-1643, 2008.
- F. Regin, "A Numerical Analysis on Aircooling Performance of Passenger Cars," SAE 2010-01-0054, 2010.
- D. Baeder, T. Indinger and N. Adams, "Aerodynamic Investigation of Vehicle Cooling-drag," SAE 2012-01-0170, 2012.
- H. W. Han, H. H. Park, M. S. Kim, J. P. Ha and Y. N. Kim, "Aerodynamic Performance Dependency on the Geometric Shape and Mounting Location of OSRVM," Transactions of KSAE, Vol.21, No.3, pp.30-42, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2013.21.3.030
- Fluent-commercially Available CFD Software Package, Product of Fluent Inc., 2005.
- L. Larsson and H. Martini, Aerodynamic Drag Reduction of a Heavy Truck with Variable Cooling Air Intake Area, M. S. Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, 2009.
- M. Khaled, H. E. Hage, F. Harambat and H. Peerhossaini, "Some Innovative Concepts for Car Drag Reduction: A Parametric Analysis of Aerodynamic Forces on a Simplified Body," J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., Vol.107-108, pp.36-47, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.03.019
- Grille design for passenger car to improve aerodynamic and cooling performance using CFD technique vol.17, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-016-0094-x
Grant : Stagnation Pressure Management to Reduce Aerodynamic Drag for Inside Front Bumper
Supported by : 한국지엠주식회사