- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Production Planning Method Using the Push-back Heuristic Algorithm: Implementation in a Micro Filter Manufacturer in South Korea
- Sung, Shin Woong (Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Jang, Young Jae (Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Sung Wook (Deloitte Analytics, Deloitte Anjin LLC)
- Received : 2015.08.18
- Accepted : 2015.12.02
- Published : 2015.12.30
In this paper, we present a modeling approach to production planning for an actual production line and a heuristic method. We also illustrate the successful implementation of the proposed method on the production line. A heuristic algorithm called the push-back algorithm was designed for a single machine earliness/tardiness production planning with distinct due date. It was developed by combining a minimum slack time rule and shortest processing time rule with a push-back procedure. The results of a numerical experiment on the heuristic's performance are presented in comparison with the results of IBM ILOG CPLEX. The proposed algorithm was applied to an actual case of production planning at Woongjin Chemical, a leading manufacturer of filter products in South Korea. The seven-month execution of our algorithm led to a 24.5% decrease in the company's inventory level, thus demonstrating its practicality and effectiveness.
- Baker, K. R. and Scudder, G. D. (1990), Sequencing with earliness and tardiness penalties: a review, Operations Research, 38, 22-36 https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.38.1.22
- Baker, K. R. and Trietsch, D. (2013), Principles of sequencing and scheduling, John Wiley and Sons.
- Clark, A. R., Morabito, R., and Toso, E. A. (2010), Production setup-sequencing and lot-sizing at an animal nutrition plant through ATSP subtour elimination and patching, Journal of scheduling, 13, 111-121. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10951-009-0135-7
- Conway, R. W., Maxwell, W. L., and Miller, L. W. (2012), Theory of scheduling, Courier Corporation.
- Dauzere-Peres, S. and Lasserre, J. B. (1994), Integration of lotsizing and scheduling decisions in a job-shop, European Journal of Operational Research, 75, 413-426. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(94)90085-X
- Drexl, A. and Kimms, A. (1997), Lot sizing and scheduling-survey and extensions, European Journal of Operational Research, 99, 221-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(97)00030-1
- Ferreira, D., Morabito, R., and Rangel, S. (2009), Solution approaches for the soft drink integrated production lot sizing and scheduling problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 196, 697-706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2008.03.035
- Fleischmann, B. (1994), The discrete lot-sizing and sche-duling problem with sequence-dependent setup costs, European Journal of Operational Research, 75, 395-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(94)90083-3
- Fry, T. D., Armstrong, R. D., and Blackstone, J. H. (1987), Minimizing weighted absolute deviation in single machine scheduling, IIE transactions, 19, 445-450. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408178708975418
- Garey, M. R., Tarjan, R. E., and Wilfong, G. T. (1988), One-processor scheduling with symmetric earliness and tardiness penalties, Mathematics of Operations Research, 13(2), 330-348. https://doi.org/10.1287/moor.13.2.330
- Karimi, B., Ghomi, S. F., and Wilson, J. M. (2003), The capacitated lot sizing problem: a review of models and algorithms, Omega, 31, 365-378. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0483(03)00059-8
- Kis, T. and Kovacs, A. (2012), A cutting plane approach for integrated planning and scheduling, Computers and Operations Research, 39, 320-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2011.04.006
- Korea Investment and Securities Co., Ltd. (2011), Woongjin chemical(0080000), Company Report, http://consensus.hankyung.com/.
- Lasserre, J. B. (1992), An integrated model for job-shop planning and scheduling, Management Science, 38, 1201-1211. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.38.8.1201
- Lee, C. Y. and Choi, J. Y. (1995), A genetic algorithm for job sequencing problems with distinct due dates and general early-tardy penalty weights, Computers and Operations Research, 22, 857-869. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0548(94)00073-H
- Mateus, G. R., Ravetti, M. G., de Souza, M. C., and Valeriano, T. M. (2010), Capacitated lot sizing and sequence dependent setup scheduling: an iterative approach for integration, Journal of Scheduling, 13, 245-259. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10951-009-0156-2
- Oguz, C. and Dincer, C. (1994), Single machine earliness-tardiness scheduling problems using the equal-slack rule, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 589-594.
- Pinedo, M. L. (2012), Scheduling: theory, algorithms, and systems, Springer Science and Business Media.
- Salomon, M., Solomon, M. M., Van Wassenhove, L. N., Dumas, Y., and Dauzere-Peres, S. (1997), Solving the discrete lotsizing and scheduling problem with sequence dependent set-up costs and set-up times using the traveling salesman problem with time windows, European Journal of Operational Research, 100, 494-513. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(96)00020-3
- Sung, S. W., Jang, Y. J., and Lee, D. S. (2013), Production Planning and Sequencing Optimization at Woongjin Chemical, Proceedings of the 14th Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management Systems Conference.
- Trigeiro, W. W., Thomas, L. J., and McClain, J. O. (1989), Capacitated lot sizing with setup times, Management science, 35, 353-366. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.3.353
- Wan, G. and Yen, B. P. C. (2002), Tabu search for single machine scheduling with distinct due windows and weighted earliness/tardiness penalties, European Journal of Operational Research, 142, 271-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(01)00302-2
- Woongjin Chemical Co., Ltd. (2012), Website of Woongjin Chemical, http://www.wjchemical.com/.