- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Factors affecting the Health Promotion Behaviors of the Low-Income Elderly Living Alone -Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Social Support
저소득 독거노인의 건강증진행위에 관한 융합적 연구 -사회적 지지의 매개효과를 중심으로-
- Cho, Sung-Hui (Dept. of Social Welfare, Hyupsung University)
- 조성희 (협성대학교 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2015.10.14
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
This study aimed to examine the mediating effect of social support in the influence of depression on the health promotion behavior of low-income elderly living alone. The data were collected from 294 elderly recipients of national basic livelihood security who are living alone and the data were analyzed by path analysis. The results were that depression and social support had direct effect on health promotion behaviors and depression had indirect effect on health promotion behaviors through mediating effect of social support. Results showed the importance of depression and social support in the health promotion behaviors of the low-income elderly living alone, which should be considered in the intervention. On the basis of the results, practical suggestions to increase the health promotion behaviors of the low-income elderly living alone were discussed.
Health Promotion Behaviors;Depression;Social Support;Low-Income Elderly Living Alone;Mediating Effect
- Statistics Korea: http://kostat.go.kr. 2015.09.25.
- Y. M. Ko. Factors affecting the health status of elderly living alone in community. Phd. dissertation, p. 2, Seoul National University. 2013.
- J. H. Kim, W. M. Kang, & D. M. Yeum, An Study on Anti-Poverty & Income Inequality Effectiveness of Income Transfer: Focusing on the Single & Spousal Elderly Households. Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp.135-159, 2015.
- H. R. Kim, Comparison of Prevalence of Depression and Its Risk Factors among the Elderly Female and Male Living Alone in Korea. Korean Public Health Research, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp.13-27, 2014.
- J. S. Park, & H. R. Lee, A Comparative on a Study a Health Promoting Lifestyle and Perceived Health Status between High and Low Income Elderly. The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.157-166, 2003.
- H. J. Choi, & J. H. Yoo, The Effect of Depression and Self-efficacy on Health Promotion Behavior among the Elderly Living Alone in Rural Area. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp.149-155, 2011.
- S. H. Joung, The Study on the Living-Alone Experience of Elderly Men. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 63, No. 3, pp.29-53, 2014.
- J. S. Kim, Theoretical Review of the Comprehensive Regional Care for the Older Adults: Health Concept and Care System. Korean Journal of Research in Gerontology, Vol. 23, pp.79-102, 2014.
- N. J. Pender, C. L. Murdaugh, & M. A. Parsons, Health Promotion in Nursing Practice(7th Edition). Prentice Hall, NJ, 2014.
- N. J. Pender(1996), Health Promotion in Nursing Practice(3rd Edition.). Prentice Hall, NJ, 1996.
- H. J. Oh, & D. H. Kim, Research on The Influential Factors in Senior Citizens' Health Promotion Behaviors. Health and Social Science, Vol. 32, pp.173-197, 2012.
- H. S. Jeong, & O. S. Kim, Anxiety, Depression and Health Behavior of Elderly with Chronic Diseases. Nursing Science, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp.35-46, 2013.
- D. H. Yun, The Influence of the Elderly's Lifestyle on the Health Promotion Behavior. Health and Welfare, Vol. 16, pp. 23-36, 2014. https://doi.org/10.23948/kshw.2014.12.16.23
- K. B. Kim, H. A. Kim, & S. H. Sok, A Study on Health Perception, Health Knowledge, and Health Promoting Behavior in the Elderly. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol.14 No.1, pp. 56-67, 2008.
- M. H. Kim, & D. H. Lee, The relation ship between the demographic-sociological characteristic and health promotion behavior of the elderly. Journal of the Korean Academy of Health and Welfare for Elderly, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 19-35, 2013.
- H. E. Ko, M. H. Oh, J. Y. Baek, & J. S. Lee, The Relationship Between Body Functions and Activities and the Participation of Community-Dwelling Elderly Persons: Based on ICF. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, Vol.20, No.4, pp.15-28, 2012
- W. S. An, & C. M. Heo, Relationship among Social Support, Subjective Health and Health Promotion Behavior of Elderly Participant in Physical Activity Program. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 58. pp. 763-773, 2014.
- J. S. Park, & H. R. Kim, A Comparative Study on a Health Promoting Lifestyle and Perceived health Status between High and Low Income Elderly. The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 157-166. 2003.
- Y. S. Kim, The Study of the Impact of the Family Type on the Health Promoting Behavior and Physical and Mental Health of Elderly People. Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp.400-429, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2014.34.3.400
- H. S. Kim. A study of Influential Factors on Health Promoting Behavior among Korean Seniors in Community. Phd. dissertation, p. 38, Soongsil University. 2009.
- Y. H. Choi, & S. Y. Kim, Development of Health Behavior Assessment Tool of the Korean Elders. The Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 601-613, 1997.
- J. S. Lim. The exploration of possible selves and the relationships of life satisfaction and depression among Korean adults. Phd. dissertation, p. 48, Ewha Womans University. 2012.
- J. I. Sheikh, & J. A. Yesavage, Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): Recent evidence and development of a shorter version. Clinical Gerontology : A Guide to Assessment and Intervention, The Haworth Press, NY:, 1986.
- B. S. Kee, A Preliminary Study for the Standardization of Geriatric Depression Scale Short Form-Korea Version. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol.35, No.2, pp. 298-307, 1996.
- J. S. Im. Analyses of Psycho-Social Determinants of Health Promotion Behavior in Elderly Sport Participants. Phd. dissertation, pp. 20-21, Chung-Ang University. 2012.
- J. W. Park. A Study to Development a Scale of Social Support. Phd. dissertation, pp. 105-112, Yonsei University. 1985.
- S. J. Yu, K. C. Lim, H. M. Seo, E. H. Kong, & J. H. Kim, Powerlessness in Community-dwelling Older Korean Adults: Association of Depression, Stress, Social Support, Health Promotion Behavior & Activities of Daily Living. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 15 No. 2, pp. 103-111, 2013.