- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Subjective Perception and Characteristics of the Middle-aged on Death with Dignity
존엄사에 대한 한국 중년층의 인식유형과 특성
- Shin, Sun-Ho (Dept. of Social Welfare, Kyungnam University) ;
- Shin, Won-Shik (Dept. of Social Welfare, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2015.10.13
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
This study is to grasp fundamental data to prepare the policy about death with dignity(DwD) by grasping perception type of the middle-aged about DwD. 32 middle-ages test Q-sort with 30 statements which is related to DwD. The result of analysis shows that subjective perception types are permission type, opposition type, and limited permission type. First, 'permission type' indicates that DwD by self-determination of patients should be accepted; it is necessary to patients with extreme pain. Second, 'opposition type' insists that there will be more people dying unfairly; a trend to make light of human life could be in everywhere if DwD is permitted. Third, 'limited permission type' agrees with permitting DwD but insists on preparing specific legal system before that. The subject, DwD, itself seems not to be able to draw a complete agreement from people, but national opinions should be reflected during the process of DwD system.
death with dignity;permission type;opposition type;limited permission type;the middleaged
- The Economist, The right to die: why assisted suicide should be legal, http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21656182, 2015. 6. 27.
- Christian Medical & Dental Association, "Top 6 Reasons Physician-Assisted Suicide Should Not Be Legal", http://cmda.org/resources/publication/top-6-reasons-physician-assisted-suicide-should-not-be-legal, 2015. 7. 20.
- M. S. Kim, "A Study on Euthanasia and Death with Dignity in U.S. Constitution", Studies on Constitution, Vol. 16, pp.38-73, 2013.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nederland http://www.minbuza.nl/english/einfo.htm. accessed by April 20 2015.
- J. B. Kim, "Withdrawing treatments and passive euthanasia", The Study of Criminal Law, Vol. 12, pp.153-174, 1999.
- B. D. Hwang, "Attitudes of Hospice Volunteers towards Death with Dignity", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp.1-14, 2011.
- J. Y. Choi and B. K. Kwon, "The Current Debates and Social Trends Regarding Euthanasia and the Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment in Korea", Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp.127-142, 2009.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Recommended the establishment of special act regarding the autonomous decisions by patients regarding the medical care for life prolongation -Announced the result of 1st discussion by the National Bioethics Committee. 2013. 7. 31.
- The Supreme Court, Sentence 2009Da17417 Judgement, 2009. 5. 21.
- J. T. Kim, K. C. Kim, D. H. Shin, H. S. Cho, J. Y. Shim and H. R. Lee, "Attitudes of medical students and housestaff toward euthanasia", Korean Journal of Family Medicine, Vol. 22, No. 10, pp.1494-1502, 2001.
- M. H. Seong, J. C. Jeon and H. J. Mo, "Nurses' Perceptions and Attitudes towards Euthanasia", Asian Oncology Nursing, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp.140-149, 2007.
- Government Information Agency, Report of investigation result regarding the sense and value of Korean people, Government Information Agency, 2006.
- J. H. Yoo, O. B. Kwon, K. K. Kim, H. C. Kang and K. H. Lee, "Analysis of attitudes on euthanasia between residents and judicial apprentices", The Korean Academy of Family Medicine, Vol. 26, pp.327-336, 2005.
- H. M. Son, "Perceptions and Attitudes of Nurses toward Euthanasia", The Korean journal of fundamentals of nursing, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp.309-316, 2004.
- J. Coggon, "Could the Right to Die with Dignity Represent a New Right to Die in English Law?", Medical Law Review, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.219-237, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1093/medlaw/fwl002
- S. J. Hwang and W. S. Shin. "The Subjective Perception Types of the Elderly on Senior Sexuality", The Journal of Human Studies, Vol. 35, pp.207-234, 2014.
- D. Thomasma and T. Kushner(eds.), Birth to Death: Science and Bioethics, Cambridge University Press, 1996.
- Y. H. Yoon, "Lawful and institutional device for Death of Dignity", Research Institute for Healthcare Policy Korean Medical Association, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp.101-106, 2008.
- H. K. Lee, "Eine historische Interpretation uber Euthanasie und juristische Beurteilungen", Law Review, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.156-164, 2007.
- I. Dowbiggin, translated by Y. K. Shin, A concise history of euthanasia: life, death, God, and medicine, Seomdol Publishing, 2007.
- J. C. Reil, Entwurf einer allgemeinen Therapie, Halle, 1816.
- K. W. Jeong, "Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment", Korean Journal of Health Law, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp.1-52, 2005.
- S. Brown, Political Subjectivity: Applications of Q Methodology in Political Science, New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1980.
- J. S. Lee, "A Study on the Death with Dignity", Law Review, 37: 171-195, 2010.
- K. B. Cho, "The issues and problem of legalization on death with dignity, Issue and Points", National Assembly Research Service, 555: 01-04, 2012.
- F. N. Kerlinger, Foundation of Behavioral Research, NY: CBS College Publishing, 1986.