- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Depressive Symptom and Poverty in Later Life: Interaction Effect between Poverty and Informal Social Relationships
노년기 우울증상과 빈곤 -빈곤과 비공식 사회관계의 상호작용 효과를 중심으로-
- Kim, Young-Bum (The Hallym University Institute of Aging) ;
- Lee, Seung-Hee (Dept. of Nursing, The Universty of Ulsan)
- Received : 2015.10.05
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
The main object of the study is to investigate the relationship between depressive symptom and poverty and to analyze the interaction effect between poverty and informal social relationship on depressive symptom. The data for the study is survey data on Life of elderly in Chuncheon Area in 2014. The sample size of the survey is 2,023 and because of missing data, the analysis contains data for 1,934 persons. The survey is conducted by the face to face interview with the questionnaire. Results of the analysis are as follows. First, the poverty shows positive relationship with depressive symptom. Second, the level of contact with children and support exchange with friends show negative relationship with depressive symptom. Third, There is interaction effect between poverty and level of contact with children on depressive symptom.
Poverty;Depressive symptom;Informal social relationship;Elderly;Chuncheon
Supported by : 한림대학교
- OECD, In It together: Why Less Inequality Benefits All, Paris: OECD, 2015
- M. M. Glymour, M. Avendano, and I. Kawach, Socioeconomic status and health, L. F. Berkman, I. Kawachi, and M. M. Glymour(eds.), Social Epidemiology(2nd), New York: Oxford University Press. 2014.
- H. K. Woo, and Y. T. Cho, Poverty dynamics and suiideation, Health and Social Science, Vol. 34, No. 12, pp. 5-35, 2013.
- J. Kahn, and L. I. Pearlin, Financial strains over the life course and health among older adults, Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol. 47(march), pp. 17-31, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/002214650604700102
- L. I. Pearlin, and A. Bierman, Current issues and future directions in research into the stress process, c. S. Aneshensel, J. C. Phelan and A. Bierman(eds.), Handbook of the Sociology of Mental Health(2nd), Springer, 2013.
- L. I. Pearlin, and C. Schooler, The structure of coping, Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 2-21. https://doi.org/10.2307/2136319
- Baeg-Eui, Hong, Factors influencing the economic status of the elderly in Korea, Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 275-290, 2005.
- Tae-wan, Kim and Ju-mi, Lee, A study of elderly poverty and depression: focusing on the multidimensional concept of poverty, Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 71-102.
- J. Y. Kim, The effects of poverty of the elderly on the mental health of the elderly: the moderating effect of employment conditions, Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 717-735, 2014.
- Dong Bae Kim, Byung Sun Yoo and Soo Min Shin, The effects of housing poverty on the depression of the elderly: the mediating effect of social service, Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 1041-1061.
- P. A. Thoits, Mechanisms linking social ties and support to physical mental health, Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 145-161, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022146510395592
- Dong-Bae Kim, and Eui-Seong Sohn, A meta-analysis of the variables related to depression in elderly, Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 167-187, 2005.
- Y. B. Kim, A study on the relationship between social activities and depressive symptom: focusing on difference between young-old and old-old, Regional Sociology, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 213-237, 2015.
- Y. B. Kim, The factor affecting depressive symptom of elderly in Chuncheon area: focusing on the effect of intergenerational support exchange, Regional Sociology, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 223-244, 2013.
- S. H. Lee, and Y. B. Kim, Which type of social activities decrease depression in the elderly? an analysis of a population-based study in South Korea, Iranian Journal of Public Health, Vol. 43, No. 7, pp. 903-912, 2014.
- Eun-Jeong Kim and Shin-Young Lee, The informal social support patterns and depression in rural elders: compared to urban elders, Social Science Research Review, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 149-176.
- R. J. Turner, B. Wheaton, and D. A. Lloyd, The epidemiology of social stress, American Sociological Review, Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 104-125, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/2096348
- N. Muramatsu, Country-level income inequality and depression among older americans, Health Services Research, Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 1863-1883, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2003.00206.x
- L. S. Radloff, The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population, Applied Psychological Measurement, Vol. 1, pp. 385-401, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- Ministry of Health and Welfare.Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Korea Health Statistics 2013 : Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-1), Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2014.
- K. L. Fiori, J. M. Mcllvane, E. E. Brown, and T. Antonucci, Social relations and depressive symptomatology: self-efficacy as a mediator, Aging & Mental Health, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 227-239, 2006 https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860500310690
- T. A. Glass, De Leon C. F. Mendes, S. S. Bassuk, and L. F. Berkman, Social engagement and depressive symptoms in later life: longitudinal findings, Journal of Aging and Health, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 604-628, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264306291017
- K. Fiori, T. C. Antonucci, and K. S. Cortina, Social network typologies and mental health among older adults, Journal of Gerontology, Vol. 61B, pp. 25-32, 2006.
- J. B. Turner, and R. J. Turner, Social relations, social integration, and social support, in C. S. Aneshensel, Jo C. PHelan, and A. Bierman(eds.), Handbook of the Sociology of Mental Health(2nd edition), Springer, 2015.
- B. N. Uchino, Understanding the links between social support and physical health: a life-span perspective with emphasis on the separability of perceived and received support, Perspectives on Psychological Science, Vol. 4, pp. 236-255, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6924.2009.01122.x
- D. Umberson, and J. K. Montez, Social relationships and health: a flashpoint for health policy, Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol. 51, pp. S54-S66, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022146510383501
- S. Cohen, and S. L. Syme, Social Support and Health, New York: Academic Press, 1985.
- L. I. Pearlin, The sociological study of stress, Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 241-256, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/2136956
- Sung-Woo Bae, and Won-Shik Shin, The factor structure of the CES-D scale(the center for epidemiologic studies-depression scale): an application of confirmatory factor analysis, Health and Social Science, Vol. 18, pp. 165-190, 2005.
- F. Pichler, and C. Wallace, Patterns of formal and informal social capital in europe, European Sociological Review, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 423-435, 2007.
- J. S. House, Social support and social structure, Sociological Forum, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 135-146, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01107897
- P. V. Marsden, Survey methods for network data, in J. Scott and P. J. Carrington, Sage Handbook of Social Network Analysis, pp. 370-389, 2011.
- D. N. Gujarati, and D. C. Porter, Basic Econometrics(5th edition), McGraw-Hill, 2009.
- M. S. Lee, Chronic diseases, depressive symptoms and the effects of social networks in Korean elderly population, Health and Social Science, Vol. 27, pp. 5-26, 2010.
- B. W. Lemon, V. L. Bengtson, and J. A. Peterson, An exploration of the activity theory of aging: activity types and life satisfaction among in movers to a retirement community, Journal of Gerontology, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 511-523, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/27.4.511