- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Hybrid Generation Method of Visual Effects for Mobile Entertainment Applications
모바일 엔터테인먼트 애플리케이션을 위한 혼합적 시각 효과 생성 방법
- Kim, Byung-Cheol (Information and Culture Technology Studies, Seoul National University)
- 김병철 (서울대학교 정보문화학전공)
- Received : 2015.10.24
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
This paper proposes a hybrid rendering method which combines pre-computed global illumination results and interactive local illumination techniques and thus could interactively produce photo-realistic visual effects for mobile entertainment applications. The proposed method uses the programmable shading capability of OpenGL, a de facto standard for computer graphics library so that it can be deployed in a real-world development environment. Also, it increases the rendering time by a negligible amount compared to normal rendering time since the pre-computed results are used as operands of plain arithmetic operations. Therefore it is expected to be applicable in practice for mobiles games which require real-time responsiveness to users.
Mobile Applications;Visual Effects;Hybrid Rendering;Global Illumination;Shader
- T. Whitted. An Improved Illumination Model for Shaded Display. Communications of the ACM, 23(6), June 1980, 343-349. https://doi.org/10.1145/358876.358882
- M. F. Cohen, S. E. Chen, J. R. Wallace, and D. P. Greenberg. A progressive refinement approach to fast radiosity image generation. ACM SIGGRAPH '88, 75-84.
- B. T. Phong. Illumination for computer generated pictures, Communications of ACM, Vol. 18 (1975), no. 6, 311-317. https://doi.org/10.1145/360825.360839
- R. Ramamoorthi and P. Hanrahan. An Efficient Representation for Irradiance Environment Maps. ACM SIGGRAPH '01, 497-500.
- P. Sloan, J. Kautz, and J. Snyder. Precomputed Radiance Transfer for Real-Time Rendering in Dynamic, Low Frequency Lighting Environments, SIGGRAPH '02, 527-536.
- R. Green. Spherical Harmonic Lighting: The Gritty Details. Proceedings of the Game Developers Conference, 16 Jan, 2003, 1-47.
- A. Keller. Instant Radiosity. ACM SIGGRAPH '97, 49-56.
- K. Dmitriev, S. Brabec, K. Myszkowski and H.-P. Seidel. Interactive Global Illumination Using Selective Photon Tracing. Proceedings of 13th Eurographics Workshop on Rendering, 2002, 25-36.
- J. T. Kajiya. The Rendering Equation, SIGGRAPH '86, 143-150
- T. Akenine-Moller and E. Haines. Real-Time Rendering, 2nd Ed., A K Peters: Natick, 2002. Cited on p. 73.
- M. F. Cohen and D. P. Greenberg. The Hemi Cube: A Radiosity Solution For Complex Environments, SIGGRAPH'85, 31-40.
- L. Williams. Casting Curved Shadows on Curved Surfaces, SIGGRAPH'78, 270-274.
- M. Segal, C. Korobkin, R. v. Widenfelt, J. Foran and P. Haeberli. Fast Shadows and Lighting Effects Using Texture Mapping, SIGGRAPH'92, 249-252.
- ATI Technologies Inc. Radeon charisma engine and pixel tapestry architecture. White Paper, 2000.
- K. Turkowski. Transformations of Surface Normal Vectors with applications to three dimensional computer graphcis, Apple Technical Report No. 22, 6 July 1990.