- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Nurses' Spirituality and Attitude toward Terminal Care in Geriatric Hospital
노인요양병원 간호사의 영성과 임종간호태도
- Lee, Keum-Jae (Dept. of Nursing, Gachon University) ;
- Park, Yeon-Suk (Dept. of Nursing, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2015.10.23
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the relationship between nurses' spirituality and attitude toward terminal and to provide basic data for enhancement of the quality of terminal care in geriatric hospitals. Data analysis was done with SPSS/WIN 18.0 program and included t-test, ANOVA, scheffe test, Pearson's Correlation Coefficient. Results: The subjects' spirituality was significantly correlated with attitude toward terminal care in geriatric hospital. Conclusion: This study suggests the need for nursing education program and development of a variety of intervention strategies to help them to achieve a positive attitude toward terminal care in terms of geriatric hospital by familiarizing themselves with the concept of spirituality.
Supported by : 가천대학교
- "A survey on the status of elders". Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare (Korea), http://www.mw.go.kr/, Aug 12, 2015.
- "Status of health care resources". Seoul: Health Insurance Review and Associaton Service (Korea), http://www.hira.or.kr/rec_infopub.medical.do/., Aug 12, 2013.
- J. S. Yoon, "A study for the factors on choosing hospitals and patients satisfaction between geriatric hospitals and general hospitals". Ph.D, Seoul: Yonsei Univ., 2003.
- M. J. Seo, J. Y. Kim, S. H. Kim, & T. W. Lee, "Nurses attitudes toward death, coping with death and understanding and performance regarding EOL care : focus on nurses at ED, ICU and oncology department". Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, Vol 16, No. 2, pp. 108-117, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.2.108
- K. J. Kim & J. S. Yong, "Spirituality, Death Anxiety and Burnout Levels among Nurses Working in a Cancer Hospital". Korean J Hospice and Palliative Care, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp 264-273, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.4.264
- M. O. Yoon & J. S. Park, "Live Spiritual Experiences of Patients with Terminal Cancer". J Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 2003.
- S. Y. Kang, M. H. Ko, & J. S. Choi, "The Experience of Hospice Nurses on Spiritual Care: The Process of Untying a Knot of Mind". Asian Oncol Nurs, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 111-119, 2008.
- B. R. Ferrel, N. Coyle, "Textbook of palliative nursing". New york, US:Oxford University Press, 2001.
- M. O. Cho, "Experiences of ICU Nurses on Temporality and Spatiality in Caring for Dying Patients", Qualitative research. Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 80-93, 2010.
- J. P. Quenot, J. P. Rigaud, S. Pri,, S. Barbar, A. Pavon, & M. Hamet, "Suffering among carers working in critical care can be reduced by an intensive communication strategy on end-of-life practices". Intensive Care Med, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 55-61, 2012.. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-011-2413-z
- E. M. Hong, M. D. Jun, E. S. Park & E. J. Ryu, "Death Perceptions, Death Anxiety, and Attitudes to Death in Oncology Nurses". Asian Oncol Nurs, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 265-272, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.4.265
- P.J. Oh, H. S. Chun & W.S, So, "Spiritual Assessment Scale : Psychometric Evaluation of the Korean Version", Asian Oncology Nursing, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 168-178, 2001.
- S. N. Kim & S. O. Choi, "Nurses' Death Anxiety and Spirituality". J Korean Academic Society of Nurs Edu, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 101-110, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.101
- M. H. Seong, "Effects of Spiritual Well-being on Spiritual Nursing Intervention". Asian Oncol Nurs, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 15-22, 2009.
- S. Y. Yoon & S. W. Won, "The Impact of Spirituality and Religious Involvement on the Relationship of Health Status with Life Satisfaction and Depression of the Elderly in Korea". J Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 1077-1093, 2010.
- S. Y. Kwak & B. S. Lee, "Experience in Acceptance of Hospice by Patients with Terminal Cancer : A Phenomenological Research". J Korean Academy of Nurs, Vol. 43, No. 6, pp. 781-790, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.6.781
- O. H. Cho, J. S. Han & K. H. Hwang, "Subjective Health Status, Attitude toward Death and Spiritual Well-being of Nurses". J Korea Contents Association, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp 375-384, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.10.375
- Ali & Ayou, "Nurses' attitude toward caring for dying patient in Mansoura University hospitals". Journal of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 16-23, 2010.
- S. R. Kang, "Concept Analysis of Spiritual Care". J Korean Academy of Nurs, Vol. 36, No. 5, pp. 803-812, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.5.803
- H. S. Yoon & S. W. Won, "The Impact of Spirituality and Religious Involvement on the Relationship of Health. Status with Life Satisfaction and Depression of the Elderly in Korea" J Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 1077-1093, 2010.
- E. S. Karen, C. C. Elizabeth, M. Maya, & A.C. Nicholas, "In search of a good death; observation of patients, families, and provider". Ann Int Med, Vol. 132, No. 10, pp. 825-32, 2000. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-132-10-200005160-00011
- N. Y. Han, H. J. Yoon, I. H. Park, Y. S. Chung & S. M. Yu. "Perception of a good death in the elderly". Korean J Family Med, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 769-777, 2002..
- Y. E. Lee & E. J. Choi, "Trends in Research on Hospice in Korea". Korean J Hospice and Palliative Care, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 152-162, 2011.
- Y. W. Woo, K. H. Kim & K. S. Kim, "Death Anxiety and Terminal Care Stress among Nurses and the Relationship to Terminal Care Performance". Korean J Hospice and Palliative Care, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 33-41, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.1.033
- B. H. Kim, Y. R. Tak & M. Y. Chon, "A Study of the Exprience of Patients with Terminal Cancer who are in an Independent Hospice Center". J Korean Academy of Nurs, Vol. 26. No. 3, pp. 668-677, 1996.
- J. N. Kim & M. O. Song, "Effect of Spiritual Nursing Intervention on Spiritual Well-being and Depression of Hospice Patients". J Korean Community Nurs, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 132-144, 2004..
- M. K. Jeong, "A Study on the Experiences of Terminal Care by Nurses in the Hospice.Palliative Care Unit", Qualitative research. Vol. 13. No. 1, pp. 50-65, 2012. https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2012.13.1.50
- M. J. Han, "Developmental study of death anxiety according to coping style, locus of control self-esteem". Korean journal of psychology, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 179-198, 2002.
- G. Y. Lee, J. H. Kim & D. W. Kim, "Development of the spirituality scale". Kor. J. Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 711-728, 2003.
- Y. S. Seo, & K. W. Seong, "Influence of Nurses Spirituality on Hospice Nursing Intervention in Long-term Care Facilities". J Korean Gerontol Nurs, Vol. a4, No. 1, pp. 12-20, 2014.
- K. H. M. Frommelt, "The effects of death education on nurses' attitud toward caring for terminally ill persons and their families". American J Hosp & Palliat Care, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 37-43, 1991.
- H. K. Cho, "The effect the death education program on the death anxiety and attitudes toward nursing care of the dying patients of nursing student". Ph.d, Jinju: Gyoeng-sang National Univ, 2004.
- M. S. An & K. J. Lee, "Awareness of Good Death and Attitude toward Terminal Care among Geriatric Hospital Nurses", Korean J Hosp Palliat Care, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 233-244, 2014.
- J. W. Ko & Y. H. Yeom, "The Role of Social Support in the Relationship between Job Stress and Job Satisfaction/Organizational Commitment among Hospital Nurses". J Korean Academy of Nurs, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 265-274, 2003.
- S. M. Lee, "The Effect of job Characteristics and Personal Factors on Work Stress, Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention". J Korean Academy of Nurs, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 790-806, 1995.
- K. R. Seong, "Comparison between Nursing Home Nurses and Hospital Nurses for Emotional Labor and Job Satisfaction". J Korean Gerontol Nurs, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 40-49, 2012.
- C. M. Puchalski, "Spirituality in the cancer trajectory". Ann Oncol, Vol 23, No. 3, pp49-53, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mds088
- S. N. Kim, "Spirituality among physicians and nurses in metroplitan cities". J Korean Phychiatr Ment Health Nurs, Vol. 19, pp. 143-153, 2010. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.2.143
- S. S. Hong, J. A. Hong & J. A. Jeon, "Spirituality and Stress of Clinical practice among nursing students". J Korea Contents Assoc, Vol. 17, 2005.
- M. O. Youn, "The spiritual well-being and the spiritual nursing care of nurses for cancer patients". Kor J Hosp Palliat Care, Vol. 12, pp. 72-79, 2009.
- H. J. Cho, & E. S. Kim, "The Effect of the Death Education Program on the Death Anxiety and Attitudes toward Nursing Care of the Dying Patients of Nursing Student" Kor J Hosp Palliat Care, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 163-172, 2005.
- M. Braun, D. Gordon, & B. Uziely, "Associations between oncology nurses' attitudes toward death and caring for dying patients". Oncol Nurs Forum, No.37, pp. 43-49, 2010.
- Converged Study on the Nurses' Knowledge and Performance of Cancer Pain Management in one city vol.7, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.115
- Factors influencing death anxiety, hospices knowledge, and attitude towards end-of-life care among paramedic students vol.20, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2016.20.3.107
- Convergence Factors of Spirituality affecting on Spiritual wellbeing of Nursing Students vol.7, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.059